Storage Auctions

Everybody needs a 'Butch'~

Everybody needs a 'Butch'~
« on: March 15, 2012, 12:45:26 PM »
Alrighty~so I had over 400 albums listed on craigslist for $150 (yes....I know I could have piecemealed 'em out and made more, but who has time for that?).  Ran the ad....nothing.  Ran it again and Butch called me.  I knew immediately I was gonna like this guy, deal or no.  I had listed the ad so as not to mislead and I told him some of the albums (and covers) were trashed and others were mint.  He replied "yep.  I'll bet the Pablo Cruise and Herb Alperts are mint, as those of us who grew up with rock tended to be stoned and didn't much care how we treated our vinyl!"  :D

Anyway the guy gets here this morning (he lives about 80 miles away) and immediately shook hands and said he got a good vibe from us.  We talked about how we acquired the bulk of the albums and he got real excited and said 'I'm your vinyl guy!  any you get, you call me and I'll buy!'  We continued talking auctions, drugs & vintage vinyl, of which he partakes in two and I two, though not the same ones.  He finally said the deal was done.  Never tried to haggle, although I would have come down a bit, just to move them.  And voila! a great new contact has been made!

You know, with all the flakes that craigslist attracts, for every ten you get one Butch and that makes it all worth while!

;D

Re: Everybody needs a 'Butch'~
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 06:05:52 PM »
Alrighty~so I had over 400 albums listed on craigslist for $150 (yes....I know I could have piecemealed 'em out and made more, but who has time for that?).  Ran the ad....nothing.  Ran it again and Butch called me.  I knew immediately I was gonna like this guy, deal or no.  I had listed the ad so as not to mislead and I told him some of the albums (and covers) were trashed and others were mint.  He replied "yep.  I'll bet the Pablo Cruise and Herb Alperts are mint, as those of us who grew up with rock tended to be stoned and didn't much care how we treated our vinyl!"  :D

Anyway the guy gets here this morning (he lives about 80 miles away) and immediately shook hands and said he got a good vibe from us.  We talked about how we acquired the bulk of the albums and he got real excited and said 'I'm your vinyl guy!  any you get, you call me and I'll buy!'  We continued talking auctions, drugs & vintage vinyl, of which he partakes in two and I two, though not the same ones.  He finally said the deal was done.  Never tried to haggle, although I would have come down a bit, just to move them.  And voila! a great new contact has been made!

You know, with all the flakes that craigslist attracts, for every ten you get one Butch and that makes it all worth while!

;D

Wow Rockin, I don't know what to say....but now I can see how you had your recent $1000 ding.

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 06:06:57 PM »
You got his address?  I'll ship him a gaylord box of records.  Between myself and 2 buddies I'm sure we could fill one up.

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 06:56:54 PM »
Wow Rockin, I don't know what to say....but now I can see how you had your recent $1000 ding.

Why~because I do vintage vinyl and auctions?
Sorry, but if you've never sat back and talked old rock n roll with somebody who lived through the '60's.....you've missed an experience~

And the ding is done.  We've moved on~

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 07:22:10 PM »
You got his address?  I'll ship him a gaylord box of records.  Between myself and 2 buddies I'm sure we could fill one up.

Who knows, he may have connections in your neck o' the world.  He ships albums all over for various reasons.  Some to artists who use only the vinyl and others who use only the jackets.  Then of course he sells the complete and in good condition ones via various means.  Have you tried listing them?  I was amazed when he told me he bought over 3000 from a guy for $1500.  And how often/how much he buys.  While he's a bit eccentric, I've no doubt there are others like him out there.

And thanks for the lesson~I had to google gaylord box.  Have to say that is the first time I've ever heard that.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 07:47:52 PM »
Easy Craig like good auction good contacts are trade secrets.  ;)

But like you always looking for that sale. Went to Tractor Supply to add to the farm and bought some chicks (and they weren't for free  :D ).  The cashier said enjoy your babies I said I will and I have baby bunnies for sale. Told her where we will be on Sat.