Storage Auctions

Help with possible scam reply

Offline Millertime

• I Love Capitalism
    • View Profile
Help with possible scam reply
« on: August 14, 2012, 10:51:37 AM »
I have an item on craigslist for $75.00 and put in my ad no email with instructions to call my cell. Took Moviemans advice early on, only deal with phone callers and I finish nearly every sale this way. Once in awhile I'll respond to an email if things are a little slow, which brings me to today. Email response (edited): ok with price, ready to make instant purchase, paying via US Certified Cashiers Check, will arrange for pickup after payment clears, I promise everthing will go smoothly, I really wish I could be there but am a very busy person, will overnight payment upon receipt of mailing info.

Any thoughts from craigslist veterans would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Help with possible scam reply
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 11:49:22 AM »
I've gotten something like this before in my email.  I always pass and don't respond back.  For one I don't take checks - it's cash only (and I take a money marker also).  I don't even take USPS money orders as I have seen a few fakes of those also.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 12:29:50 PM »

Any thoughts from craigslist veterans would be greatly appreciated.

It's a scam. Been going on for years. I don't even accept emails from Clist. I go strictly with phone calls.

Offline Millertime

• I Love Capitalism
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 01:21:17 PM »
Thanks guys, confirmed what I thought. Next time things are slow I'll take a nap.

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 08:13:31 PM »
They will also send fake us postal service money orders...always pay more and ask you to wire it.  You will still get screwed if you deposit and hold money for 45 days.  They come back fake...take 45 days...and cost 15 a piece to process when they come back.  I got scammed on the second half of that.  Got to pay 45 dollars to find out they were fake even when I told bank I thought they were and told them to verify first...back when cl was younger...8-9 years ago.  Always take money orders to issuer and have them check the numbers...NEVER wire anyone money.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 03:02:49 PM »
ok with price, ready to make instant purchase, paying via US Certified Cashiers Check, will arrange for pickup after payment clears

Same advise from me too, it's a scammer. I like to play dumb and lead them on. I can usually go back and forth and string them along for weeks and also get them to waste their money sending their fake check to a fake address I give them. It's the simple things in life that amuse me! :)

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 06:34:51 AM »
Recently found on CL rants and raves (for amusement) that when you get a response hit the sent from and look and see if there are two addresses. One sent from this e-mail, reply to a different e mail. Guaranteed scam, SPAM...

With Movieman call, No e mail. 

We have another Selling site which you have to give your e mail. but is really good about response's they only get your true email address if you allow it. So not to much junk from that. also no sales from the e-mailers either. So the callers are better buyers.

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 11:49:46 AM »
The scam has been going on for years. The certified cashiers will look legit but will turn out to be counterfeit. What I don't understand is why the police don't do undercover stings for this sort of thing. Before they shut down the adult services section of Craigslist, they did undercover stings for prostitution. Surely the police can devote some time to catch people that are stealing thousands of dollars from hard working individuals?

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 08:03:58 PM »
I ask them to be sure to enclose a copy of the emails with check "as I am also busy and sell a lot of items and want to be sure I send them the correct item"

Then I give them the address of the local FBI office.

But either they don't send it or the FBI doesn't investigate it because I've never been contacted....

xx
Black "reply" message appearing on right top side of screen

Started by MovieMan

4 Replies
Last post August 02, 2013, 12:22:05 AM
by Travis
xx
New Craigslist Scam

Started by Travis

3 Replies
Last post February 11, 2013, 01:47:15 PM
by HomeGrownPromos