Storage Auctions

Selling rims/tires <advice needed>

Offline Alias

• View Profile
Selling rims/tires <advice needed>
« on: January 12, 2012, 07:40:09 PM »
Any advice on selling rims/tires on CL would be great.  Maybe I'm posting wrong or something. Seems like everytime I get flakes and people offering a fraction of my asking!
I've had nothing but problems when it comes to rims and tires.

Last try i had 4 brand new, $280 tires on a set of $3000 used but great looking rims for $1000. Willing to drop a bit. Really just wanted them gone.
Had people offering $100, $200.....
Last guy agreed to $1000, showed with $400. Wouldn't budge above$400.

Every experience has been like this.
And eBay? Forget that! The shipping logistics alone! Gotta be wrapped a certain way, on pallet, this, that...never again!

Anyone else run into this and have you found s better way or better outlet for moving them???

Offline alloro

• View Profile
Re: Selling rims/tires <advice needed>
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 08:55:49 PM »
Did you put FIRM and NO LOW BALLERS in the CL ad?

Offline Alias

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 09:27:03 PM »
Not "firm". I'm always willing to negotiate on auto parts.
Try to state it that firm is implied but not so much as to have people pass over and not at least make me an offer.
And I always link retail sites so they can see the new price.

I really hate the sob stories of they really need tires, 72 kids, no way to get to work....blah, blah....

Really?! You "need" at set of 20's with 30series? And what ur offering you can go get a set at Costco!

I usually end up selling for way to little as Rims/tires take up to much space and 90% of the time it's pure profit for me.  I just don't know any avenues to get rid of aftermarket rims or off size tires at a (to me) fair price.

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 10:37:52 PM »
I would just keep up your craigslist ad, and get as much word of mouth going as possible. Also paying to list in a newspaper would reach a different spectrum of people. I dont have much experience selling tires, sold a used set of 15''s for 120. I felt like we both got a good deal.

Offline Alias

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 11:13:18 PM »
Well, there's a frick'n idea! As much as I go thru the papers and I've honestly never thought about posting an ad myself! I'm such a dumbass.  lol

Right now have a set of new snow tires for a Honda, stock rims, it's winter...not selling.

Almost new oversize winter truck tires on aftermarket rims in like new condition....not selling.

Almost new low pro's on Lincoln Town Car stock rims....not selling.

Ive just never done well in this area.....

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 04:45:45 AM »
Do you have any rim/tire dealers in your area? even a garage maybe? Ask them if they want to buy them. If not, ask if you can put them in their shop and if they sell, you will share a certain percentage with them. (consignment)  Or if you could put an ad in their store. Go into the Auto parts stores and ask the people that work there...if they aren't interested, they may know someone who is.
Also, where I live, most of the small "moms and pops" convenience stores have bulletin boards you can advertise on.
If your're only getting offered 400, I would even check with a pawn shop..they may give more..Pawn shops are always my last choice, but you may get more than 400 and get rid of them.
I know alot of gear heads, so I usually don't have a problem moving anything to do with transportation, especially aftermarket add-ons.
Check with any local car shows that might come in the area.....Also, google Car Clubs in your area. People who pay good money to get their car, and maintain their car the way they want are willing to pay a fair price.
In my past experiences, teenagers are usually the ones that will throw low ball figures at me, mostly cause their funds are limited.
Good luck

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 07:58:14 PM »
Well on the shipping (with ebay sales) the Uship.com site as shown on the new show is real and legit.  Is a different way to ship if time isn't an issue as much as cost.  Still a PITA to ship any way, as you need to make sure the rims are protected.

May I ask where you get all the tires / rims from?

Offline Alias

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 08:50:03 PM »
Some come from cars I part out. Most from trade-ins. Work at a dealership. If the rims and/or tires don't "fit" the car we swap them out with premium stock. I get to keep the "take offs".

Why I'm not too concerned with price. It's all profit.
But there is a difference in making free money, while giving someone a deal and someone just rip'n me off. 

Offline Wayne

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 12:50:37 AM »
Alias,

I don't know where you are located, but up here in the northwest one of the businesses I have seen pop up, are used tire stores. The economy has contributed to this I'm sure. They sell both wheels and tires. As you can imagine, these are not your conventional business man. They are not financed by some big chain store or big investor. They are just like you and me, working stiffs. I'm sure they will be open to working with you, especially where you have an ongoing supply. That will help them attract customers. They also could be a place to sell jacks, power inverters, and who knows what else. If it is car related and they can make a buck they may be interested.

Good Luck!!!

Wayne

Offline Alias

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 09:36:19 AM »
I'm in the NW too. Will look into that.
There is a father/son operation that buys rims and tires that comes around for and stock we remove to put on aftermarket. (I don't get those)
They paid $1000 for 5 sets of stock rims and tires. $50each!
All were tires in the $200-300 range and three sets were on rims that are $1200 EACH to replace!

Now I know, aside from a bodyshop, who buys stock rims? So they are going to have to sit on them. But really,$20,000 at wholesale price and the best offer we had was $1000?!

Again, it's pure profit so I can't *****. Just seems like I'm missing something.

Offline Alias

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 09:58:46 AM »
Thanks Wayne for the heads up on used tire stores. Found two, one local and one not so local but not that far.  Might not get the best price but at least I have an outlet to move them fast.
Much appreciated.

Offline acman

• Buying lockers without paying retail, FTW!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 11:26:17 AM »
This is one of the few times I say sit on your product. Rim and tire markets tend to pick up in the spring as people are getting antsy to pull vehicles out from winter storage. 

Anyone looking to buy from you right now is just going to sit on an item they offer 300 on now and turn around in spring and charge wholesale.

If I were you I would add in the Craigslist add your 1k firm, don't even bother low-balling you and if you bring less then a G at buy your wasting your time and gas money.  Get it through there heads that FIRM means FIRM.

xx
Rims & Tires

Started by Travis

6 Replies
Last post May 25, 2013, 04:55:32 PM
by fredgsanford
xx
Used tires on stock rims?

Started by Cobia

3 Replies
Last post July 14, 2011, 08:08:01 PM
by Travis