Storage Auctions

Stupid Questions From Craigslist Buyers

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
Stupid Questions From Craigslist Buyers
« on: March 18, 2013, 09:04:51 PM »
This is an actual conversation (via text) with a Craigslist buyer who is interested in a dresser I just posted for sale.

Him: Hello, do you still have the black dresser?

Me: Yes I do.

Him: Awesome, are you located in Killeen or Fort Hood?

Me: Killeen

Him: Do you know how big it is exactly?

Me: It's about 6 feet long.

Him: Do you think it would fit in the back of a Buick?  :o

Me: Only if your Buick is a pickup.  :D

He never responded after that...go figure.

So, what's the dumbest question a buyer has ever asked you?

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
Re: Stupid Questions From Craigslist Buyers
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 09:12:05 PM »
I actually know a fellow who loads similar kinds of things into the trunk of his Honda .... quite a sight going down the road. He puts boards under it first and runs them in past the point where the back seat folds down. That way he has a platform for the chest or whatever to lie on.

Meanwhile...what's the dumbest thing they've said?  Well, my ads all say (in big red letters) "If you are reading this the item is still available as I take a sold item off within 15 minutes of a sale."

SO...when they say "Is it still available" I just say "yes" and I don't ask them if they read the entire big red letters at the top of the page.

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 09:21:57 PM »
I love it when people ask about color when there's a pic in the ad... No, the color of the dresser didn't magically change from the time I posted the ad an hour ago till now..

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 10:32:41 PM »
Or how much are you asking for it.  :-[

Do you not see the price listed in the ad?

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 10:42:46 PM »
My craigslist ad said ... To view this and all my other CL items I'll be at my storage locker from 10:00 til 1:00 ,call 1st.... one morning I get an email from a guy who's really pissed..says he went buy my locker several times yesterday and I wasn't there...AND the security was always closed!!!... told me no way in hell he'd EVER buy anything from me!!!... hmm maybe I shoulda stated that I'm there from 10 A.M. til' 1P.M.

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 02:37:26 PM »
"What's your bottom dollar?" Not that the question is stupid per say, but the idea that I would give up all negotiating ground and let you get what I am selling for the cheapest possible price next to throwing it in the garbage just because you had the gall to ask the question.

I am really getting sick of this question, and it is used ALL the time now in my area. I try to be polite & not lose a potential sale, but I am really close to replying every time with "What's the most you would ever dream of paying? that's my bottom dollar!"

Or maybe I should say "I will sell it for a dollar but you gotta come mow my yard, clean my bathrooms, & make me dinner."  :D

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 04:14:23 PM »

Or maybe I should say "I will sell it for a dollar but you gotta come mow my yard, clean my bathrooms, & make me dinner."  :D

I LIKE that answer. Most people would "get it" and if delivered with the right tone they might enjoy it and the negotiation could proceed.

Also if they ask me about my bottom dollar, I will sometimes tell them $2 to $5 more than my actual bottom and that sometimes works.  If it doesn't work and they then offer something even lower than that, I tell them..."you asked me my bottom dollar and I told you. Do you want it for that?"

The fact is (IMO) we have done more selling than they have done buying, and if you've got the guts to lose a sale and pick it up another time, I'm for doing just that..unless of course it was bulky, heavy, etc and I didn't want to reload it and then bring it out another time.

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 02:25:59 PM »
I actually know a fellow who loads similar kinds of things into the trunk of his Honda ....

I had a 2008 2dr Civic for about a year.  Amazing how much you can fit in it!
Car didnt really fit my lifestyle so upgraded to a 4dr Acura.  Bigger back seat. Bigger trunk.
Can't fit anything in it due to body design.  Inside is roomy but door/trunk openings suck!

Stupidest questions?

Can you hold it until next month, I don't have the money right now.

Selling broken iPhone for parts:  is it still under warranty?   (Yeah, I'm just to lazy to send it to be fixed)

Selling end tables:  can I take them home and see if they look good and send you the money?

Selling tires:  can you knock off a $100 cause its going to cost me $80 to have them mounted....

The last one confused me.  Even if it made sense to lower price because of mounting cost, which it doesn't.    How the heck does it make sense to lower price $100 if it costs you $80!? 

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 03:50:05 PM »
love it. i had a similar thing recently sold a 42 inch tv but an older one that was boxy it was a projection tv. told the guy will not fit in a car, tells me he thinks he'll try. tell him dont bother comming out with a car i tried a honda crv, a camry and a grand marquis and would not fit. he shows up in a car.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 07:42:49 AM »
So, here is another stupid text from a Craigslist buyer.

Him: Do you still have the entertainment center, if so how much and could you send me a pic of it? (The only place I advertised the entertainment center for sale was Craigslist, so if he knew I had an entertainment center for sale, he had to have seen the price and the photos.)

Me: Yes I do still have the entertainment center, the price and pics are on Craigslist.

Him: Okay, thanks I was needing a bigger one. Thank you anyway.

Me: Why the Hell did you text me then?

Him: Sorry 

:-[ :-[ :-[

Offline MTP

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2013, 01:27:20 PM »
Offered electronics for bulk purchase.
DVDs, VCRs, lots of speakers.

He: What do you have?

Me: Like I said (see above)

He: Do you have any Iphones Ipads Androids etc?

Me: Yes, because I sell the good stuff for pennies on the dollar. Dip****. (did not send this, just sent NO)

xx
Craigslist buyers - no shows and backouts

Started by Travis

4 Replies
Last post December 27, 2012, 01:59:28 PM
by Alias300
xx
I'm new but not stupid

Started by Liandra

4 Replies
Last post September 03, 2011, 12:04:03 PM
by Liandra