Storage Auctions

Goodwill Prices

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
Goodwill Prices
« on: March 27, 2013, 10:03:06 PM »
Was on the Eastside today.  It's known for being a little more well off.  Stopped by Goodwill with the thinking that the donations might be a little higher end.

Wrong.

I do know goodwill sets up stores to be a certin kind.  Send furniture here, clothing there.....
We even have one that is all name brand clothing.

This was junk.

Few good items were priced SO high.   Old wash ringer was $75, broken.  See them at antique shops for that.  Working, cleaned and mounted.

Old chair that I thought I could get $100 for?  They wanted $200.  Redone and cleaned up it might go for $200-$250.

They were even asking $29.99 for a used deep fryer that I own the same one and got on sale at Target for $19.99!!  In fact all the small appliances were almost retail.

Fake Coach wallet was $29.99.    I got my sister the REAL one like it for $45 the outlet store two xmas's ago.

All the sofa's were $150-$200 and trashed.

I'm sticking to Value Village and Salvation Army.   They price to move inventory.
Goodwill puts all the good stuff on eBay.......

Re: Goodwill Prices
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 12:12:13 PM »
just a heads up on savers/value village they are a for profit company and seem to jack up the prices as the store gets older and has a regular clientele coming in . The one in my area was awesome when it opened and gradually creeped up to the point I dont really bother going there regularly anymore

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 02:33:24 PM »
I don't now but seems Value Village sells the donations they get at the store they were donated to.

Go to VV stores in good neighborhoods and get quality stuff, poor area's have junk.....

The one by my house gets SO much stuff it's marked pretty low.   Another one not far way is in a not so nice part of town and not as much stuff and pricy!

One thing I noticed they all do now is split things up.   
Want a lamp?  Lamp shade is separate.
Mixer?  Bowls are over there, priced separate.  Blades are on wall, priced separate.

Really adds up if you want to buy a complete unit......

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 07:58:55 AM »
I use to hit Goodwill up years ago for picking electronics.  Not done that for a good year or two now.  Last time I went into the store, except for cloths, the prices were HIGH.  In fact some of the same items we have in my buddies store was a good 10-25% less then what Goodwill wanted.  I swear who ever was pricing the stuff must be pulling things out of thin air.  Wood chairs that I buy at yardsale 5-10, sale for 20-25, they want $40 each on.  I've gotten to the point that once I hit my limit on donations I start to give my old inventory, cloths, etc. to chruch groups, fund raiser yard sales, etc. instead of Goodwill.

Offline ncali

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 12:41:36 AM »
If you think that the prices at the goodwill stores has increased take a look around their auction site Shopgoodwill.com

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 08:02:46 AM »
Prices at Goodwill do run high. But I still find great deals. About a month ago I found almost a complete set of vintage Franciscan dishware. I guess it had been there for a few weeks because the color tag was half off. Got all of it for around $35. The next day I sold one piece for $175 on eBay. Just sold the last of it yesterday. I think I made well over $500 off the whole set minus eBay/etsy fees. I don't mind the fees when I make a return like that.

moved
MOVED: Goodwill Prices

Started by Travis

0 Replies
Last post July 01, 2014, 09:59:58 PM
by Travis
xx
Goodwill find of the day

Started by Kinney

1 Replies
Last post July 22, 2013, 11:32:09 AM
by rulesforrebels