Storage Auctions

Can anyone recommend a good book on selling on eBay?

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
Can anyone recommend a good book on selling on eBay?
« on: March 03, 2014, 09:20:34 AM »
I won’t use it, but maybe someone here will !

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
Re: Can anyone recommend a good book on selling on eBay?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 10:02:10 AM »
I really don't think there's much of a use for books. With ebay constantly changing it's fees, and policies any book which is published is probably out of date in terms of new policies and fees by the time it hits the shelves.

I would imagine many books tell you to use HTML code for pics because ebay charges you but within the last few months or year ebay now gives you 12 free pics so your actually better off using their picture system as ebays search algorithm doesn't read HTML code well so your actually punishing your listing by using your own pics in HTML code.

Other things like they probably strategise based on ebay charging listing fees where as ebay doesn't really charge listing fees anymore if you ahve a store they are either free or you get thousands free every month anyway so you really need to be more focused on Final Value Fees instead of listing fees.

There's a ton of great blogs, forums, message boards where people can offer advice and strategies and this stuff will be much more up to date and much more real experieences from real people vs an author writing a vague overview of how to ebay.

I would also encourage people to read ebays TOS and the customer help tab section so your fully aware of shipping fees, policies, etc

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 10:35:32 AM »

I would imagine many books tell you to use HTML code for pics because ebay charges you but within the last few months or year ebay now gives you 12 free pics so your actually better off using their picture system as ebays search algorithm doesn't read HTML code well so your actually punishing your listing by using your own pics in HTML code.

For most people the 12 free pics is enough. Some don't even use all those, and the pics they do publish are so amateurish it's a wonder they ever sell their items.

I use the 12 free and up to 20 within the text as html inserts. That 20 would include the 12 free ones, so another 8 pics not shown in the regular eBay area.

IMO, the pics within the description are what sells the item. They are larger and I can put appropriate comments below the pics to explain the item. I can also circle some aspect in red pointing out a bonus aspect or a "wart"

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 01:28:01 PM »
For most people the 12 free pics is enough. Some don't even use all those, and the pics they do publish are so amateurish it's a wonder they ever sell their items.

I use the 12 free and up to 20 within the text as html inserts. That 20 would include the 12 free ones, so another 8 pics not shown in the regular eBay area.

IMO, the pics within the description are what sells the item. They are larger and I can put appropriate comments below the pics to explain the item. I can also circle some aspect in red pointing out a bonus aspect or a "wart"

Pictures within listings actually harms you search wise though not terribly so I guess you have to make a decision is having good pics with descriptions worth a bit of a knock in the search dept?

Not criticizing you I'm running into the same thing and have chosen to harm myself a bit in search for a more professional presentation and more informative listings. What mine is in reference to is using templates. This is incredibtly stupid since ebay themself provides templates but ebay uses the fist 150 words of your title as the main determining factor in ebay search algorithm. If you have plain text your first words are probably 1 Ounce Silver American Eagle Coins MS89 US Mint etc, etc, etc. Basically all relvent stuff. If your using a template on the other hand your first 150 characters are going to be nothing but <dsfdsasdfd3483743843> and basically just HTML code so I'm not showing up the best I can. I've heard this directly from ebay reps and other big time sellers so I believe it to be true.

Now in my case I find most people are using templates in my category so most other big sellers aren't getting an advantage over me. I rank pretty well in search so dont think its affecting me that much and more importantly I've decided that having a professional presentation and well laid out description and pics outweighs any minor knock in search I may get for doing things with a template.

xx
Can anyone recommend a book on ebay or give some tips?

Started by zenBuyer

8 Replies
Last post January 29, 2011, 06:35:15 PM
by rulesforrebels
xx
eBay selling up and down

Started by KrauseHouse

2 Replies
Last post November 16, 2012, 02:46:08 PM
by fredgsanford
xx
I did good on Ebay..

Started by parksleyman

2 Replies
Last post March 27, 2013, 09:18:46 AM
by fredgsanford
xx
Any eBay sellers looking for a hot selling product?

Started by rulesforrebels

3 Replies
Last post July 15, 2015, 09:29:36 AM
by alloro