Storage Auctions

Ebay insurance

Offline dbr831

• View Profile
Ebay insurance
« on: October 09, 2013, 07:19:41 PM »
Maybe everybody already knows this but apparently I don't read the fine print...just found out that when you ship USPS and print your shipping from EBAY and pay for insurance you are not getting insurance from the post office. Here I've been trying to track down a package I shipped out on 9/10 (yeah, the post office lost it, grrrr) and the post office told me I didn't purchase insurance. I said I did and have the receipt to prove it. This is were I finally read the fine print. The insurance I purchased is ShipCover through EBAY and not USPS insurance. Not sure if this is good news or bad news yet. I get to file my claim on the 11th to hopefully get my money back. I refunded the buyer a couple days ago. She was very nice about the whole thing and even gave me good feedback. So apparently ShipCover will reimburse me the cost of the item ($330.00) but not the shipping ($50.00ish). I'm filling out a claim form with the post office to get my shipping cost back. Seems reasonable that they shouldn't get to keep money for a service they obviously did not provide.  My post office seems to think I will get it but we shall see....Anybody ever deal with ShipCover? Or USPS lost package shipping cost reimbursement?

Offline alloro

• View Profile
Re: Ebay insurance
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 08:00:54 PM »
Nope sorry, I never had USPS lose a package.

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 08:30:48 PM »
When you select insurance coverage for the item you are shipping on Ebay, the Shipcover option pops up first, you have to use the drop down button to select U.S.P.S. I didn't know who shipcover was, i figured it was some outside company who got a contract from Ebay to offer shipping insurance, I didn't realize Ebay was covering the insurance themselves.

Offline dbr831

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 10:02:28 AM »
I think it is an outside company that EBAY has just contracted with. I don't see a dropdown button to change the shipping to USPS

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 12:24:47 PM »
Ebay has been using Shipcover for a while, few years.   I personally haven't used them so asked a friend....
Said they do have some good points.  He likes that the shipping label isn't maked "insured"
1) doesn't tempt thieves since only higher value items would be insured, right?
2) people don't think you jacked them on shipping cost.  (I don't get his one but he had a long explanation that I stopped listening too)
3). They pay claims faster

Cons: more expensive on lower valued items and they don't reimburse shipping cost.

Personally, I just use Postal insurance.  I've only had one claiming my life and it was easy and its cheap.

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 04:09:17 PM »
I print all my shiping through Paypal. Supposedly your supposed to get your money back if an express package doesn't arrive in time, however everytime I've tried to go to the post office they tell me I gotta talk to paypal, paypal tells me i have to talk to post office. I never get anywhere and its not worth my time running around to get $12 back but its frustrating.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 09:53:09 PM »
I've tried to go to the post office they tell me I gotta talk to paypal, paypal tells me i have to talk to post office. I never get anywhere and its not worth my time running around to get $12 back but its frustrating.

Print the page at this link and bring it with you to the Post Office so the dopes there can learn what their refund policy says.
https://www.usps.com/customer-service/priority-mail-express-postage-refunds.htm

Offline rulesforrebels

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 10:26:11 AM »
thanks for the link. yeah i mean they know their policy states refund if it doesn't arrive by 3pm the next day however they claim since i paid paypal who in turn paid them i have to go through paypal for the refund. i stopped offering and using usps express anyway though. seems post office has improved priority shipping sometimes its as quick as one day usually 2 so thats improved but not many express packages are 2 day and not one day. why pay 3x the money for the same delivery time or maybe a day later at most?

i have a fedex account now and get discounted shpping so its not much more than usps express plus too many buyers get mad that post office takes to long and want to blame me for it as opposed to themselves for not upgrading to fedex so just stopped offfering it, even though you did get some sweet discounts from ebay $12 for express as opposed to the normal $18.95

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 03:04:18 PM »
plus too many buyers get mad that post office takes to long and want to blame me for it as opposed to themselves for not upgrading to fedex so just stopped offfering it, even though you did get some sweet discounts from ebay $12 for express as opposed to the normal $18.95

I don't get it, I must live in a different world or something. I send most of my items as USPS 1st class packages anywhere in the USA for $1.65 to $3.65 and the packages arrive in 2 business days 95% of the time. If I need to go up to Priority mail due to weight issues then $8 seems to be the most I've ever paid.

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 03:19:29 PM »
First Class mail is flat Rate by weight no matter where you live. Priority mail is based on weight and location. If I ship a 2 pound item to somone else in CA it cost me $5.80, but if I ship to New York from CA it costs me $11.25, that is if I don't use a flat rate Envelope/Box option, but not everything I sell fits nicely into one of those.  :)

Offline rulesforrebels

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 06:41:35 PM »
I don't get it, I must live in a different world or something. I send most of my items as USPS 1st class packages anywhere in the USA for $1.65 to $3.65 and the packages arrive in 2 business days 95% of the time. If I need to go up to Priority mail due to weight issues then $8 seems to be the most I've ever paid.

most of my packages go first class but despite ebay claiming first class is 2-5 days the post office i believe actually quotes it can take up to 6-10 days. some regions of the country stuff arrives in a day or two, others its over a week. if i send priority i send priority flat rate envelope which is about $5. express is supposed to be overnight though sometimes its 2 day. if you go to the post office to buy it its like $18.95, however if your a powerseller/top rated seller you get to buy through ebay for $12. i personally almost never have packages arrive as quick as two days though you must be living in a different world than me, first class is pretty slow comming from chicago at least

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 07:31:15 PM »
but if I ship to New York from CA it costs me $11.25, that is if I don't use a flat rate Envelope/Box option, but not everything I sell fits nicely into one of those.

Are you using the PM boxes you get at the PO or did you order Regional A & B boxes from USPS.com? Regional boxes tend to cost less to ship and they're a bit larger than the PM flat-rate boxes. USPS will deliver the Regional boxes to your door and they cost nothing.

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 11:04:52 AM »
Are you using the PM boxes you get at the PO or did you order Regional A & B boxes from USPS.com? Regional boxes tend to cost less to ship and they're a bit larger than the PM flat-rate boxes. USPS will deliver the Regional boxes to your door and they cost nothing.

I use the regional rate when it is the cheapest, in fact I really like the regional rate alot, but anything east of Texas, the regular flat rate boxes become cheaper, kinda makes me wish I lived in the middle of the country, so shipping charges would be cheaper, then there is the occasional item that I can't fit in a flat rate box, I always try every option possible, in fact I offer to buyers several shipping options, parcel select, or priority mail usually. They hardly ever choose priority mail, but often times depending on the item, a regional rate box or flat rate box ends up being cheaper than the parcel select rate, so I send it that way and they feel they have been upgraded and it saves me money. I used to put flat rate as a shipping option, but changed to straight priority mail or parcel select calculated by weight and it works out pretty well for me. Sorry for the long response ;D

Offline rulesforrebels

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2013, 12:25:52 PM »
yeah seems like people who either live mid area of country or near hte large post office and fedex shipping hubs like atlanta and houston tend to get best prices and fastest mail

Offline dbr831

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2013, 10:02:55 AM »
Just a follow up, I filed my claim with ShipCover on the 11th (very easy to do) and they paid me within 3 days. Got a claim form from the post office to try to get the shipping back and haven't gotten around to filling it out yet but from what I am hearing I shouldn't hold my breath.

xx
Insurance Claims on Ebay

Started by HomeGrownPromos

5 Replies
Last post November 10, 2013, 06:28:40 PM
by HomeGrownPromos
xx
Liability Insurance?

Started by MatchesMalone

6 Replies
Last post January 19, 2012, 09:24:31 AM
by MatchesMalone