Storage Auctions

Finally making it work.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
Finally making it work.
« on: April 02, 2012, 01:04:29 PM »
Been piling stuff for ebay.  ???  Just procrastinating.  Did get my room straightened out and a little organized so I can move around in it.

Got all my misc. notes together (weights, measurements, ect.)

In my defence storage/ ebay sell stuff on other side of property. No internet... Go and get all the info and pictures come back over here and always forget something. (new at this)...  So with my procrastinating nature takes way too long.  ;)

My husband changed jobs more of a self employed thing and has taken both of us to get it under control.
(Sounds good to me.  ::) )  ;)

Listed an Iron  we got out of the box lot Listed for $9.99.......................Sold for $38.76  ;D
Would have sold it for $5.00 at Flea.

Sooooo Going over to get more stuff out of that pile.

Have decided to list the China Tea Set (in What is it Worth thread)  for either 15 or 30 days to see what happens.
Any advice on that idea would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Finally making it work.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 01:24:36 PM »
Gotta love it when a plan comes together!!   :D  (And the 50 freebies reset!!)

I would suggest making insurance mandatory on any glass items you list.  I have shipped a lot of figurines, glasses, Pyrex-type bowls, etc. - had a few get broken despite taking every packing precaution - but the broken number has been surprisingly low.  Insurance helps those few cases.  Don't get me wrong, I love the good old USPS, but some of their people packing trucks think "FRAGILE" is a country in France. ::)

Good luck - and keep us informed on how it's going.     

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 04:05:29 PM »
It's about danged time!!!

And as for the insurance~on glass (or relatively high dollar items), I always include the insurance in my shipping fees.  Covers all the butts and bases and I think seeing the insurance sticker on the package tends to make our beloved postal employees a bit more 'careful'.

You know when I used to make copper lamp shades (never did like working for others, but I digress) and checked into shipping them, I called UPS and they informed me an item needs to be able to sustain a four story drop?!?!  I don't even think a pillow could sustain that!  Just what are they doing with our packages?!?! :o

Grats on the iron sale Money~now get busy listing more!

;D

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 04:13:19 PM »
Oh god I know how that feels... I couldn't sell a pair of Nike Air hiking boots for $2 at the flea. Put them on ebay and bam: $14. I also had all these ralph lauren polos that I couldn't get rid of for $1 at the flea. Sold one on ebay for $7.50. I love ebay now...

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 04:50:09 PM »
A good lesson for all of us, here!!

Think of some of these examples next time you're out at the flea picking for ebay!!

Ebay has been a little slow for me lately, but otherwise, it has been a good venue for me so far.

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 05:11:35 PM »
I love ebay.  I can sell things that I just don't think will sell.  Example - in the lot of computers, printers, and 4 boxes of cords, etc. I found 5 Win 95 OS CDs still in the blister pack.  Sold 3 so far between $15 - $22 each.  So after shipping, ebay and paypal fee getting 10 - 16 a CD.  Had 6 new gas stove grates that I traded a guy at the flea for - $10.  I've sold half of them so far - made $30 so far and still selling.  Atari games are selling well for me on there also.  Don't make a ton of money but every $3, $5, $10, etc. profit is still a profit compared to selling or not selling local.

If you can get organized and have all your items packaged, weighed, photographed, and description ready to go it helps a bunch.  So on those free days you can list everything.

Good fleabaying

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 06:05:44 PM »
If you can get organized and have all your items packaged, weighed, photographed, and description ready to go it helps a bunch.  So on those free days you can list everything.

I've mentioned this before, but I've been using turbolister for the free-day listings. It allows me to create a bunch of listings whenever I have the time and just save them for free day.

Anything that doesn't sell is still saved for the next freebie day.

I wouldn't be able to get as many listings up if I wasn't doing it this way.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 07:14:15 PM »
It's about danged time!!!

Grats on the iron sale Money~now get busy listing more!

;D
Thanks Rockin.  ;)

And Cheesehead thanks for the insurance tip would not have thought of that.

@Craig you caught why I am having a hard time can not get it organized.  ::) And I am a very organized person sometimes too much. :D

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. Had to move the house today so I will get busy tomorrow.

Shmoopy I have gotten bad about checking off the wall things to see what they are going for on ebay some things are just crazy.  ;D  Bathroom exhaust fan 20 to 30 bucks.  ::) could not sell at yard sale for $3.00 so added to the pile for ebay.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 04:34:52 PM »
Update / Rant

Went to print labels from Paypal account.... Not the right option for padded envelope Priority, Tried ebay wrong amount.

Paypal wanted a credit card added... Did that... Still could not print labels. So off to the post office.

Finalized last sell printed label today with no problem.

Also holding money until beginning of month.  ???

Last sell was over $40 instant payment.

Three sales under $20 holding until 5-7.... Guess I need to call them. ???

Ok I am done.

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 05:54:59 PM »
This is all so encouraging!

I go in spurts on E-Bay because I am just so lazy at times about getting stuff ready to list....ya'll have perked up my interest in E-Bay again. (plus a couple of loony CL buyers!)

Heading off to look at the pile now. ;)

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 01:23:15 AM »
Went to print labels from Paypal account.... Not the right option for padded envelope Priority, Tried ebay wrong amount.

If this is from an eBay sale then you're much better off printing the label on eBay instead of off the PayPal website.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 06:04:05 AM »
If this is from an eBay sale then you're much better off printing the label on eBay instead of off the PayPal website.

On other threads to cover your A** print from paypal. ??? Because of the address thing. I did double check the addresses. But Ebay had $5.10 for the shipping on a padded envelope, the post office went up to $5.30. I just worry don't want to effect my customers. Still working on that #...  ::)

@ bulldogmom it is worth it sold a pair of Levis for $16. would have been lucky to get $3 at yard / Flea.
My pile is getting smaller. Start small.  ;D.  I am going to go back through the Flea stuff and pull out some to sell on there.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 09:58:22 AM »
On other threads to cover your A** print from paypal. Because of the address thing.

I must've missed that thread. But I don't see how the address is an issue. Under the term of seller protection on eBay, in the event of 2 different addresses, as long as you ship to the address listed on eBay OR PayPal you're protected.

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 11:05:39 AM »
Money-

As far as them holding the funds, it's not as bad as it seems.

When someone pays, they put a 21-day hold on the funds. When you add a tracking number, they drop it to 14.

When the tracking shows the person got the item, they reduce it to 3 days from when it was delivered.

In most cases, with priority mail especially, you'll have the funds in about a week.

I've only receive two payments that gave me the funds instantly and I think it was the buyer using funds already in their Paypal account, so Paypal didn't need to get it from their bank or credit card.

Hope that helps!

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 03:36:42 PM »
Thanks guys.

@Alloro I must have miss read it. But still did not explain why the amount was wrong.  ::)

But moving on.

@ Matches I know but what a pain. Thought I had proven myself as a seller... LOL

But I should not complain all the items sold and they would have sold for less or not at all at a yard / Flea.

xx
Do you work from your home?

Started by janette

0 Replies
Last post November 11, 2014, 10:15:36 AM
by janette
xx
How do these auctions work?

Started by janette

1 Replies
Last post November 11, 2014, 03:00:52 PM
by Travis
xx
How much cash did you have to work with?

Started by Travis

7 Replies
Last post May 31, 2014, 05:42:10 PM
by calcoastgal
xx
Going to have to work to get my money back out of this one!

Started by Travis

3 Replies
Last post July 06, 2013, 05:40:33 PM
by LaWaughn