Storage Auctions

Inflating Bids

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
Inflating Bids
« on: June 25, 2013, 10:59:34 AM »
The pair of Jordans I was selling on ebay last week sold for $177.50.

As expected, the buyer with zero feedback never paid.

I looked at the runner up bidders and the next closest bid was $65.00.

How does that happen? I thought ebay used a proxy bid system.

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
Re: Inflating Bids
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 11:20:27 AM »

I've put in max bid of say $100.   Auction ends and the winning bid was $50.  Why didnt it take my higher bid?     Ebay confuses me a lot......

In situations like yours I've been told its something to do with he proxy bid process.
If multiple people put in max bid then it just skips to max bid without listing ALL bids.
So at the end the next lowest is only the last *physical* bid.....

At leat that's how it was explained to me......but I've see the bids listed out too....So i dunno.  Ebay sucks?

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 08:37:05 PM »
As expected, the buyer with zero feedback never paid.

Why do you accept bids from buyers with zero feedback?

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 09:58:54 AM »
I have more issues with international buyers than buyers with zero feedback. The past 2 weeks I've sold 8 items. All paid except 1.. the international buyer. 5 of the buyers all had automatic payment through Paypal. 2 of the 7 were zero feedback buyers. Both paid with no problem.

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 08:36:54 PM »

Well, since you're asking me this question, I now know that I can do that.

Sorry, I'm a Craigslist guy. I have sold maybe 15 items on ebay in the past 5 years. I only used ebay for things that were unique and required a specific buyer/collector. Like Christmas cards from the 1920's with a purple Santa. (Yes, the purple Santa is more collectible than the red Santa.)

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 09:33:20 PM »
I just ran into this.
I've always used others ebay accounts.  First my ex and then roommate.
Last week I wanted some copper pans, set up acct....couldn't bid because no feedback!

So I bought something else on buy-it-now.  Couple hours had feedback.  Problem solved.

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 10:12:26 AM »
Up until recently I only did buy it now auctions where people had to pay immediately upon buying via paypal. Recently I started doing auction and had some idiot bidding on like 15 of my auctions running the prices up and not paying. I caught it pretty early contacted ebay they could really care less the lady was like you can open an unpaid item thing. I was like thanks that does nothing and I missed out on all these sales since second chance offers aren't that afffective. The one piece of advice she did have that I took was setting up your buyer preferences. Don't let people bid if htey have had unpaid item strikes in teh past month, if they have negative feedback in the last month, etc, etc, etc. This really helps. You can also set limits so new customers can't make more than say 5 purchases in a 10 day period.

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 02:25:23 AM »
Yeah, I actually had to start a new ebay account a couple months ago after having one of those buy everything in the store types. The guy left me a mountain of bad feedback claiming he never got anything. Aside from knowing no one was going to buy from that ebay account again after seeing all this guy's feedback, I had to dispute it with paypal who ruled in favor of me and my list of tracking numbers. Then, I get charged back, paypal tells me there is nothing they can do as it was done by the customers bank. The whole thing ended so badly I made a new ebay account and now only use it as a last resort.

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 05:15:12 PM »

because you have to. ebay does have buyer requirements but you cant not let 0 feedack people buy. otherwise nobody would take them and new peopel woudl never get started on ebay. you can set it so people with unpaid item strikes or neg feedback cant bid but you cnat stop 0 feedback people

xx
My first bids!

Started by acman

5 Replies
Last post August 29, 2011, 03:31:26 PM
by acman
xx
do you throw out 5$ incremental bids?

Started by BigBizzz

8 Replies
Last post October 01, 2011, 10:22:05 PM
by BigBizzz
xx
Warehouse not taking bids

Started by Christie

8 Replies
Last post April 28, 2011, 07:03:24 PM
by jrossjr79
xx
Do you think bids are higher on units sold by auctioneers?

Started by Travis

0 Replies
Last post March 20, 2014, 09:50:18 PM
by Travis