Storage Auctions

Misleading Listing on eBay

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
Misleading Listing on eBay
« on: February 07, 2014, 08:47:07 AM »
I recently bought an ac adapter for a laptop on eBay. 

After researching by price I found one model made in China that was selling for $10 to $15 and was being marketed by a number of sellers.

I picked the seller that was closest to me (located in a town only 50 miles from me) thinking I would get it quickly that way.

Now I see (despite their eBay location indiator) that they are shipping it by DHL Global. That tells me it's coming directly from China and instead of two day delivery I am looking at 12 day delivery.

That's annonying from a usefulness standpoint (I have to work-around not having this adapter until the new one comes) but also from an ethical standpoint.

Companies shouldn't falsely advertise WHERE their product is anymore than they would advertise any other incorrect aspect of the product.

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
Re: Misleading Listing on eBay
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 10:25:12 AM »
I recently bought an ac adapter for a laptop on eBay. 

After researching by price I found one model made in China that was selling for $10 to $15 and was being marketed by a number of sellers.

I picked the seller that was closest to me (located in a town only 50 miles from me) thinking I would get it quickly that way.

Now I see (despite their eBay location indiator) that they are shipping it by DHL Global. That tells me it's coming directly from China and instead of two day delivery I am looking at 12 day delivery.

That's annonying from a usefulness standpoint (I have to work-around not having this adapter until the new one comes) but also from an ethical standpoint.

Companies shouldn't falsely advertise WHERE their product is anymore than they would advertise any other incorrect aspect of the product.

on ebay listings towards the upper right of the description there's the report button. you can report the seller and the listing for item location misrepresentation, there's actually a preset code to report that. not to say anything will be done necessarily but if they get enough complaints it will. i agree super annoying under any circumstance but especially if your without laptop charger for that long

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 10:34:03 AM »
Contact the seller to cancel the order, and cite the reason why.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 01:28:07 PM »
Contact the seller to cancel the order, and cite the reason why.

Well, I want and need the thing as soon as possible so I will let it go until it arrives. NOW, if it gets here and has the wrong plug size to go into the laptop...then the fun will begin.

Best Buy had these at $20 but it was also a 5 day deal to have it delivered to the store.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 01:31:24 PM »
on ebay listings towards the upper right of the description there's the report button. you can report the seller and the listing for item location misrepresentation, there's actually a preset code to report that. not to say anything will be done necessarily but if they get enough complaints it will. i agree super annoying under any circumstance but especially if your without laptop charger for that long

That's a neat feature especially if it has a number of drop-down options for what you are reporting. The easier the better.

As far as doing anything about it, you're right. That could easily be another story. Despite the fact that many people think the buyer is king at eBay, in this case the fact that the seller has over 2 MILLION feedback might make them tend to look the other way.

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 02:10:31 PM »
I would suggest not getting too worked up until you see how long it actually takes, I bought a tv remote control from a guy in the LA area. He shipped it DHL golbal also for some reason even though I am a 2 hour drive from him. Got here in about 3-4 days, so took longer than USPS but still ok. I did notice after the fact alot of people complained in his feedback about him using DHL to ship it as they usually just hand it off to USPS so taking longer, but oh well, some sellers have their wierd quirks or agreements with certain shippers. 

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 02:27:09 PM »
I would suggest not getting too worked up until you see how long it actually takes, I bought a tv remote control from a guy in the LA area. He shipped it DHL golbal also for some reason even though I am a 2 hour drive from him.

Yes, that is a possibility...a quick delivery not a 12 day delivery. I was thinking of the Global aspect of it but as you say they could pick up just a couple of hours away. Will be interesting to see where it came from and how long it took.

The seller (I LATER saw) had over 2 million feedback as I said. They had a LOT of negative feeback...I think it was 40 or so in one month and over 150 in a year, so that is a concern too. When I looked at some of those feedback it was almost always a cell phone cover ! (Still, out of over 2 million feedback that amounts to nothing percentage wise).

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 02:30:11 PM »
Similar to the seller I got from, may be a chinese firm working out of LA, who knows, but if it does end up shipping from china I'd be pissed. On small cheap things like that that I need quick, most of the time my decision to buy is based on location in hopes of getting it sooner. Good Luck.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 02:43:57 PM »
I did notice after the fact alot of people complained in his feedback about him using DHL to ship it as they usually just hand it off to USPS...

I just checked the tracking number (first time it actually showed anything) and same thing is happening as you mentioned...HANDED IT OFF TO USPS.

Oh well, at least it's confirmed it's not coming directly from China.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 01:00:49 PM »
My item arrived 5 days (instead of 12) after I paid for it and considering yesterday (Monday) was a holiday for the post office that's darn good.

It did come from within California instead of directly from China, so that was good. Guess they put on the max days delivery to cover themselves...would have taken longer to the midwest or east.

Funny....

The shipping address was:

(my name)
or Resident
(my street)
(my city, state, zip)

I guess this meant "don't return this item to us"...any resident could have kept it.

Overall I was satisfied with it..it fit the computer input so that was the main thing no matter
when it arrived.

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 01:30:38 PM »
Now just hope it works better than mine does.  I bought one of  those no name brand Chinese replacement power supplies for my Toshiba laptop instead of spending the extra to get a genuine Toshiba one, and it get's super hot to the touch.....not just warm, but really, really hot.

I've had it for awhile now and should have sent it back right after I got it, but it's too late now.  Since then, whenever I have needed something like that, I spend a little more for the genuine one.....I know there are a lot of good knockoffs, but there are a lot of junk ones too.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 01:36:33 PM »
Now just hope it works better than mine does.  I bought one of  those no name brand Chinese replacement power supplies for my Toshiba laptop instead of spending the extra to get a genuine Toshiba one, and it get's super hot to the touch.....not just warm, but really, really hot.

I've had it for awhile now and should have sent it back right after I got it, but it's too la

I'll hope for the best ! 

Before I ordered this thing I looked at a half dozen I had from years of accumulating them from lockers, etc. Not a one had the same output connection to go into the laptop.

Right now it's chugging away on the laptop I have dedicated to my tv for sourcing feeds from the internet, so it's basically on all the time. I'll be sure to check it every few hours to see how the heat is doing.

xx
eBay Listing Service

Started by cstore7

10 Replies
Last post September 26, 2013, 12:15:19 PM
by StorageAuctionFinds
xx
Question about listing on ebay..

Started by LoneStarAds.US

5 Replies
Last post October 09, 2011, 08:29:55 PM
by monkeybusiness
xx
Do you sell to countries other than the USA when listing on eBay?

Started by MovieMan

3 Replies
Last post January 13, 2014, 11:46:28 AM
by StorageAuctionFinds
xx
Ebay new .50 Cent fee to expose your listing on their UK website.

Started by luke

3 Replies
Last post August 22, 2014, 09:28:37 PM
by jamelar