Storage Auctions

More eBay fees?????

More eBay fees?????
« on: February 03, 2012, 01:48:54 PM »
I just checked my eBay seller account. Since when is there a fee on shipping costs???  Fee of  $1.62 on $14.77 shipping. Anyone else notice this? Sold the item for $35, which was an additional $3.85.

Re: More eBay fees?????
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 02:48:58 PM »
They started doing this maybe 8 months or so ago.

I assume they did it because of those people who have a $.99 auction with $32 shipping.

It's annoying, but just something to work into your math. I'll pay FVF on shipping to get free listings every month. Would rather pay a little more on something sold than pay for a listing that didn't sell.

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 03:55:25 PM »
Ya - I think they added it in at the same time they offered 50 free listings.  Between ebay and paypal I figure 13% fees.  It's 9% ebay and $.30 + 3% for paypal.

As Matches said you just adjust for it.  You can do the free shipping and just up your sell price.  Is the same thing as charging shipping.  May or may not get more "bites" that way.  I do mostly seperate fee for shipping, but I also use flat rate boxes most time.  So I know what the fee is going to be.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 04:59:44 PM »
Yeah that fee was there when I started selling. But I get 100 listings a month. Cost of doing business.

Sell anywhere else and the commission is higher. We pay 20% at a thrift (She just went up to 30%)

All other places charge 50% so 13% not to bad.

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 07:42:58 PM »
The strange part is this is the first time I have been charged this fee, I checked my listings for Dec and Nov.  I am still up in the air about the free shipping. I had something listed for $12 with free shipping. Watchers but no sale. So I relisted, dropped the price to $10 and calculated shipping. Item sold in the first day.

I am trying not to complain about the fees, as I know I can't get those prices anywhere else. 

As I buyer I normally opt for Priority shipping.  I put different options in my listings, cheapest first. I am noticing many are choosing the priority anyway, too.  I also have to add .19 to the shipping if I list parcel post because of the extra fee for delivery confirmation.  One of these days I will figure it out..LOL

I am slowly but surely getting things listed. Oh how I wish I had more space so my dining room and front porch doesn't look like a hoarders house!!!

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 12:32:27 AM »
@money: We've been talking about antique malls. They want 10% plus rent!!

@moon: I really just started selling on ebay a few weeks ago, and I know I have a lot to learn. The shipping aspect was the toughest for me to figure out. I really like the free listings, simply because paying to list stuff I wasn't sure would sell was something that kept me from ebay for a long time.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 04:14:13 AM »
@money: We've been talking about antique malls. They want 10% plus rent!!

@moon: I really just started selling on ebay a few weeks ago, and I know I have a lot to learn. The shipping aspect was the toughest for me to figure out. I really like the free listings, simply because paying to list stuff I wasn't sure would sell was something that kept me from ebay for a long time.

We have an antique mall that charges 40% + Rent and the place is a dump.

With you on the shipping part. I add $3.00 to the shipping (Movieman suggestion) It has covered my butt on any miss calculation I may have done. 

I try and do like Craigslstauction and use the flat rate, and I add the $3.00 to that too. But some things just don't fit.  :D

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 10:36:49 AM »
I always end up with bigger stuff that doesn't manage to fit in any regular size box :)  I think I am going to have to start adding to the shipping as well. 

Oh, if you are looking for good boxes, don't forget to check your local nursing homes! They have nice boxes with handles and some odd sizes that come in handy.

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 10:16:59 PM »
I just checked my eBay seller account. Since when is there a fee on shipping costs???  Fee of  $1.62 on $14.77 shipping. Anyone else notice this? Sold the item for $35, which was an additional $3.85.

Someone  please correct me if i'm wrong, but these numbers don't make sense to me... I thought ebay just charged 9% whether it was the final value or shipping. These fees quoted above seem to indicate 11%?? Anyone else experiencing a hike in rate percentage?

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 10:46:45 AM »
Someone  please correct me if i'm wrong, but these numbers don't make sense to me... I thought ebay just charged 9% whether it was the final value or shipping. These fees quoted above seem to indicate 11%?? Anyone else experiencing a hike in rate percentage?

You're right, the math seems odd, but I checked my account and everything is coming in at 9%.

Have some auctions ending later today, so I'll see what I'm charged and report back.

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 11:11:19 AM »
I just sold something last night. $8 total.  FV fee was .88 (11%) and the Shipping fee was .40 on $3.65 (11%).

I used to charge exact shipping. Now, though, eBay is cutting into that, too. I have no choice but to add a shipping and handling charge (especially if I use PayPal shipping for Parcel Post and get charged an additional .19 for delivery confirmation. 

I'm usually still making a pretty good profit and shouldn't complain because I can't get those prices anywhere else.  :o

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 03:33:21 PM »
Like some others have commented, this practice has been in place for quite a while now. Not trying to be rude or a smart ass but honestly if you didn't know this you probably shoulnd't be selling on ebay. Reason I say this is because lots of people lose money selling on ebay because they don't understand the fee structure and best practices for shipping efficiently. Ebay is always changing policies and fee structures as well. You really need to keep abreast of ebay fees, policies, etc and read the forums on a regular basis or your going to constantly feel ambushed and taken advantage of.

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2012, 04:30:58 PM »
I have been selling on ebay for 6 years. I have never been charged a fee for the shipping fees and I do keep track of everything. I went through my detailed billing and I just started getting charged for that.  I never got a surprise for shipping costs because I do have a scale, and never wanted to add a shipping and handling fee, now I don't have a choice.

Rules...You were right.  But..according to eBay those rules started in July. I must have got lucky because it didn't catch up to me until now :)   Yes, my fees are 11% because I did Buy It Now.  I can see eBay's policy for the shipping fee final value.  I have seen this done many times: item sells for 1 cent but shipping is $50. eBay was losing out on the money and seller didn't have to pay the fee.  I don't sell much on eBay during the summer, if at all, so I wasn't as up to date as I should have been.

All in all, I love eBay. Seeing I have kids that love things popular from years ago, that's where I have to go to find things for them.  So I do a lot of buying and selling on eBay.

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 05:54:45 PM »
obviously we all know this was because of the times selling for 0.99 cents with $50 shipping but it amazes me people still list this way. they aren't saving anything on shipping as they are now paying a fvf on shipping as well so they arent saving money and they are pissing off an alienating certain customers who have a problem with listings that are listed that way. im always surprised by how many auctions i still see with low price high shipping. i suppose only advantage is in a dispute buyers dont get shipping money back.

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 07:07:21 PM »
obviously we all know this was because of the times selling for 0.99 cents with $50 shipping but it amazes me people still list this way. they aren't saving anything on shipping as they are now paying a fvf on shipping as well so they arent saving money and they are pissing off an alienating certain customers who have a problem with listings that are listed that way. im always surprised by how many auctions i still see with low price high shipping. i suppose only advantage is in a dispute buyers dont get shipping money back.

The other advantage is when a shopper searches for items "under $10," the $.99 + $50 shipping will still show up in the search. Will they buy? Probably not, but sellers still want people to at least see their item.

xx
Ebay Started Charging Final Value Fees On Shipping As Well

Started by rulesforrebels

13 Replies
Last post June 14, 2011, 02:54:23 PM
by monkeybusiness
xx
Why does everyone complain about ebay policies and fees when Amazon is worse?

Started by rulesforrebels

3 Replies
Last post November 29, 2014, 11:17:55 AM
by rulesforrebels
xx
I hate fees!

Started by Drew

7 Replies
Last post December 26, 2010, 06:20:43 PM
by Ironman
xx
Storage Lockers and Big Dump Fees