Storage Auctions

Stolen items on eBay

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
Stolen items on eBay
« on: January 11, 2014, 12:14:57 AM »
Have you ever gotten an eBay email from a member who claimed YOU were trying to sell something that was stolen from him?

I had a $400 tool on a month or so ago and got an email saying  "Where did you get this and when?"

I thought that was odd. It wasn't quite like saying "How old is this tool?" or "Did you buy this new in the store or are you a 2nd or 3rd owner?".

Maybe I was just paranoid, but it did occur to me that I might have bought a piece of stolen merchandise either at a flea market, yard or even estate sale, but how would ever prove that?  When was the last time you got a recipt for something you bought at a yard sale?

This item came from a piece by piece auction, but though I got a receipt it was only for the amount spent and the date...not the name of the item. Could have been for granny's wheelchair for all the receipt said.

Thoughts ?

Re: Stolen items on eBay
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 12:21:27 AM »
I got this HUGE speaker once in a locker.  I took some really good pictures and listed it on craigslist.  I get an email from this guy saying that it is his speaker that was stolen from him and he was going to give me the "opportunity" to give it back to him before he called the cops.

I sent him a reply saying that I had a receipt from a reputable company and I would be more than happy to meet him in the parking lot at the town's police station and if it really turned out to be his I would give it to him.  Never heard back...........

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 01:53:27 AM »
Have you ever gotten an eBay email from a member who claimed YOU were trying to sell something that was stolen from him?

I had a $400 tool on a month or so ago and got an email saying  "Where did you get this and when?"

It doesn't sound like he made any claim of the item being stolen.

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 10:24:06 AM »
wow thats pretty strange. did the buyer claim that some unique identifier about the tool shows it was his? i mean was his initials on the drill handle in marker or something? if not i highly doubt serial number or anything were visible in the pictures. id be like dude, this is a makita drill just like 100,000 others which were made. is he even near you location wise?

xx
Stolen items found, Denver

Started by Alias300

2 Replies
Last post December 02, 2013, 01:49:04 PM
by bwd111
xx
eBay Large and Bulky Items Shipping - Pilot Program with eBay Developer

Started by citizenshipper

5 Replies
Last post April 02, 2013, 09:54:19 AM
by alloro
xx
What items have you had -thrown off- eBay....if any?

Started by MovieMan

4 Replies
Last post March 07, 2011, 06:59:59 AM
by TonyT
xx
Do you watch your own items on eBay?

Started by luke

3 Replies
Last post April 19, 2014, 07:19:30 PM
by luke