Storage Auctions

Which is better?

Re: Which is better?
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2013, 09:52:35 PM »
I bought the bigger boxes in adjustable for other stuff I have up there. I'm also going to post hot wheels cars in lots rather than piece it out. Still probably a big box for that, but I like the versatility for that size box.

MM, I checked out the link, exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks!

You guys just cut my shipping in half in some cases. Thanks! But I feel like an idiot for not checking ebay for boxes.

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2013, 09:31:32 AM »
I do flat rate shipping, and still have quite a few free shipping options. What I've noticed is that when I relist an item, ebay wants me to drop the price, and that puts me under my shipping cost, nevermind product cost. I have Hot Wheels cars up for $4.49, which is basically $4 for shipping and packaging and .49 for the car (free shipping).. eBay wants me to drop the price to "get more views".. which would cause me to lose money.

Unless weere talking like Tonka trucks a hotwheel car should be 3 ounces or less, even with bubblewrap and a manilla envelope. You shouldn't be paying anymore than $1.69 to ship first class. How are you paying $4?

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2013, 09:52:16 AM »
Unless weere talking like Tonka trucks a hotwheel car should be 3 ounces or less, even with bubblewrap and a manilla envelope. You shouldn't be paying anymore than $1.69 to ship first class. How are you paying $4?

I wouldn't be a happy buyer if a hot wheel showed up in a manila envelope. I think a small cardboard box would be
better and how happy would the seller be if he got a negative feedback?

Also I think the seller would be better off doing what he said selling 3 or 4 in a bundle then they all go in a box and all are protected.

Offline rulesforrebels

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2013, 10:07:07 AM »
Just do a search on eBay for: "250 White Corrugated Shipping Mailer".
You can buy less than 250 at a time (or more) but the lower the quantity the higher the per box price. For example you can get 250 for under .20 each but the same boxes at 100 count is more like .33 per box. You can also get 500 at a time and drop the per box price down around .16 each. These prices include the shipping too. Of course these prices can vary depending on the size box you need, but I figure a matchbox doesn't need a very big box.

great tip on actually spending some money and geting proper packing materails. its a more professional presentation, will protect your items nad it can actually be really affordable if you buy in bulk. i tend to stay off ebay for buying this stuff though, ebayers are just getting them from wholesalers and marking up the price to cover 9% ebay fees plus turn a profit. may as well go directly to the companies who sell packaging materials. the one thing i have found at bargain prices on amazon however are those ebay shipping labels. those things save so much time. i know people myself included are cheap and dont wanna shell out money for this stuff but its a more professional presentation, protects your stuff and often ships for cheaper and saves you money in the long run, when you rusing recycled boxes you have lying around the house your probably using stuff thats not the correct size you need and costing you due to added bulk and weight.

Offline rulesforrebels

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2013, 10:08:13 AM »
Oh and another money saving tip regarding packing materials. There are of course certain delicate things that demand bubble wrap or air pillows, but for most other items I run all scrap paper and junk mail through my shredder and use the shredded paper for packing material. Nothing beats free. :)

this is a great tip for flat rate boxes however if your paying by weight packing peanuts are not only going to protect better but are also much lighter meaning cheaper shipping

Offline rulesforrebels

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2013, 10:09:04 AM »
Why such a big box for a matchbox car?

personally for a matchbox car I'd probably throw it in a sandwhich bag and drop it in a bubble envelope

Offline rulesforrebels

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2013, 10:10:24 AM »
I wouldn't be a happy buyer if a hot wheel showed up in a manila envelope. I think a small cardboard box would be
better and how happy would the seller be if he got a negative feedback?

Also I think the seller would be better off doing what he said selling 3 or 4 in a bundle then they all go in a box and all are protected.

i was talking bubble wrapped within a manlla but even better would be a bubble envelope. this is cheap and will protect it adaquetly. almost everything is shipped in bags these days thats not fragile, they are cheap and light. also if you offer free shpping you get a 5 star dsr score automatically

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2013, 10:25:10 AM »
The way I was buying shipping materials was way too expensive. I was running to the local Walgreens and picking up a manila bubble wrap envelope ($1.29) or a small box ($1.99).. combine that with the actual postage, I was around $4.00 for the most expensive option. I do credit back any overages on my shipping, but it was pretty close at $4. I wasn't shipping very often because I just didn't put stuff up on ebay. But now that I'm in a store, and I need to generate income from my smalls during the week, ebay is a necessity.

Also, my hot wheels that are currently listed is in packaging, not loose. Takes more than just a drop in an envelope and out the door to preserve the cardboard package.

I went ahead and bought several smaller boxes through ebay to accommodate the hot wheels that I have up now, should work well for other smalls as well!

Offline rulesforrebels

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2013, 11:25:00 AM »
The way I was buying shipping materials was way too expensive. I was running to the local Walgreens and picking up a manila bubble wrap envelope ($1.29) or a small box ($1.99).. combine that with the actual postage, I was around $4.00 for the most expensive option. I do credit back any overages on my shipping, but it was pretty close at $4. I wasn't shipping very often because I just didn't put stuff up on ebay. But now that I'm in a store, and I need to generate income from my smalls during the week, ebay is a necessity.

Also, my hot wheels that are currently listed is in packaging, not loose. Takes more than just a drop in an envelope and out the door to preserve the cardboard package.

I went ahead and bought several smaller boxes through ebay to accommodate the hot wheels that I have up now, should work well for other smalls as well!

crediting back shipping is a nice gesture but really probably not necessary. give yourself some credit, you deserve to be paid for the time packing, materials you use and also gas and time in driving to the post office. as long as your charging fair shipping prices people wont care. as for packaging materials walgreens charges a fortune for crappy packing tape and envelopes. heck even staples your gonna pay like 99 cents or more just for a bubble wrapped maila. i find really cheap packaging materials at the flea market. another good place is online envelope and packaging material stores. oddly enough big names like uline tend to charge more than some of the smaller lesser known online shops

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2013, 11:16:24 PM »
The way I was buying shipping materials was way too expensive. I was running to the local Walgreens and picking up a manila bubble wrap envelope ($1.29)

Oh boy, here we go again. :)
Click it...: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=250+bubble+mailer+-labels&LH_BIN=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=250+bubble+mailer+-labels+-label&_sacat=0

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2013, 05:03:26 PM »
Yeah, definitely learned my lesson. Good thing I wasn't 1000 failed listings in!