Storage Auctions

Why is eBay hemorrhaging sellers? Their lack of common sense!

Why is eBay hemorrhaging sellers? Their lack of common sense!
« on: February 16, 2014, 11:35:21 AM »
eBay's main problem is that they lack common sense when they make policy changes, claims decisions, etc. Their belief is that they can throw hundreds of thousands of free listings at people and that will keep them around. Not true. Once a seller is burned badly enough, they will turn and run, no matter how many free listings they're given.

In mid-December I sold a Johnnie Walker statue. 28" tall. It was a bar display. Very nice piece. I sold it for $157.50 plus something like $30 for shipping. The guy that bought it was in Hawaii. No problem I said, I'll cover the extra shipping which didn't go much over $30. I already had a box and plenty of packing supplies, so no extra expense there.

The package arrives damaged, 2 weeks later. Okay, not my fault. Was packed well. I bought insurance. No problem! I'll start the claim, I tell the buyer. The buyer insists on starting the claim. I tell him that I should, because I'll receive the check and will reimburse him once I get word that the claim has been accepted or denied. No, he insists on making the claim himself. I give in.

February 2ish. Buyer files complaint with eBay. Package does not match description. Arrived broken. Okay, I check with Post Office. Claim is still pending. I contact the buyer, his reason.. Post Office is taking too long. February 10, I receive a letter from the Post Office, they need proof of insurance, no problem. Proof of value. No problem. I mail those items to the address indicated on February 10.

February 13. I contact eBay. Please extend the claim date. There is still a pending review of the insurance claim at USPS. No problem. We'll extend.

February 16. eBay finds in favor of the buyer, takes $182.50 from my Paypal. WTF!?!?!?

I call eBay, heated. I apologize in advance for my upcoming behavior and foul language. Their reasoning for concluding the buyer was due his money? You'll get a check from USPS.. NO.. the message trail clearly indicates that I intended to do the insurance claim but the buyer INSISTED!!

eBay's response to that... Well, we can't do anything about it now.

BULLS!&#T.. Sorry for going Q-Bert..

If eBay would get their heads out of their butts and hire some people with common sense, or the ability to read and comprehend words, they may hang onto more sellers.

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
Re: Why is eBay hemorrhaging sellers? Their lack of common sense!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 11:49:27 AM »
I'm somewhat confused by who's going to get the insurance check you or the buyer? If you get the check buyer got his money you got your money all is good right? Are you saying he got his money back from ebay and will also get the insurance check?

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 12:27:52 PM »
The buyer started the claim and listed himself as the beneficiary with USPS. So he got his refund from eBay and he'll get his check.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 01:54:53 PM »
The buyer started the claim and listed himself as the beneficiary with USPS. So he got his refund from eBay and he'll get his check.

I'm fairly certain that USPS pays whomever bough the insurance and postage on the package. But at this point since the money went back to the buyer, you should have your own insurance claim in with the USPS. Then when that double claim red flag goes up at the USPS they'll be able to include your story in their investigation.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 02:08:24 PM »
To be frank, you made several errors, First you as the seller/shipper should always be the one to file the claim. Second, you sent the proof of insurance and validated the buyers claim with the USPS. Third, I don't see anywhere that you requested any pictures of the damaged item, or that you requested it be returned to you.

Food for thought: http://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Shipping-Archive/Double-whammy-SCAMMERS/td-p/4642

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 02:33:23 PM »
To be frank, you made several errors, First you as the seller/shipper should always be the one to file the claim. Second, you sent the proof of insurance and validated the buyers claim with the USPS. Third, I don't see anywhere that you requested any pictures of the damaged item, or that you requested it be returned to you.

Food for thought: http://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Shipping-Archive/Double-whammy-SCAMMERS/td-p/4642

Forgot to mention that I did ask for pictures, which I received. This was before offering to start the claim. Wasn't really relevant IMO.

I did tell him that I would start the claim, he insisted on it. I told him that it's typical for the shipper to file the claim. He still insists. Customer is a grown man in Hawaii, can't really do anything to stop him except perhaps preempt him claim with a claim of my own.

Also, sent the proof in the interest of resolving the claim asap.

AN UPDATE...

I talked with eBay just a bit ago regarding this issue, and I was told by someone with sense that I can fax or email proof of payment by USPS to the buyer. After they receive it, they'll refund my money back to me.

Not the best solution, but at least it's something!

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 03:28:24 PM »
Forgot to mention that I did ask for pictures, which I received. This was before offering to start the claim. Wasn't really relevant IMO.

I did tell him that I would start the claim, he insisted on it. I told him that it's typical for the shipper to file the claim. He still insists. Customer is a grown man in Hawaii, can't really do anything to stop him except perhaps preempt him claim with a claim of my own.

Also, sent the proof in the interest of resolving the claim asap.

AN UPDATE...

I talked with eBay just a bit ago regarding this issue, and I was told by someone with sense that I can fax or email proof of payment by USPS to the buyer. After they receive it, they'll refund my money back to me.

Not the best solution, but at least it's something!

Yeah anything with USPS is a nightmare whether its getting refunded for express packages which dont arrive on time to insurance. I never really buy insurance for this reason in the first place I basically dont have thepatience to follow up with getting paid out so why pay for it in the first place. I do have a third party company who will insure fedex packages i just have to send them the tracking number before dropping it off. these are a super easy payout no hoops to jump through. im surprised usps dealt with him, normally on any issues they will only deal with the shipper. sorry to hear you gotta deal with this headache. maybe its just a fluke but honestly all my problem buyers are from hawaii. ive had 3 chargebacks from hawaii customers in which paypal didn't even bother getting my side of the story or a tracking number automatically issued refunds hours after i shipped the product so for example order comes in at 8am. i ship at like 10am and by about noone i get an email buyer filed a chargeback and paypal didnt fight it just immediately gave money back to customer

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 03:43:48 PM »

Pictures are relevant in case the item was never really damaged and the claim is all a scam. Think of it this way, the item really isn't damaged but the buyer makes the claim, files with PayPal and the USPS. Now he has the item, gets a refund from PP and finally gets an insurance check from the USPS claim. Triple bonus boys and it never cost him a dime!

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 09:46:03 PM »
Pictures are relevant in case the item was never really damaged and the claim is all a scam. Think of it this way, the item really isn't damaged but the buyer makes the claim, files with PayPal and the USPS. Now he has the item, gets a refund from PP and finally gets an insurance check from the USPS claim. Triple bonus boys and it never cost him a dime!

Perhaps not relevant was the wrong phrase. I thought that me seeing pictures was implied by the fact that I offered to make start the insurance claim process.

I did send him a message after ebay said that they would refund my money after getting proof of a check being cut. Letting him know that he shouldn't expect to keep the money that ebay gave to him and basically calling him out on what I believe was his plan.

I don't think that he bought the item to do an insurance scam. I think that he is so mad that the item broke that he feels like he's owed something additional. So he files the claim, waits forever because that's what USPS does, and finally files the dispute with eBay hoping that he gets double his money back..

My beef in the whole situation is with eBay, not the buyer. eBay should understand that people are idiots, they try to game the system, etc. Their policy should be no disputes while an insurance claim is pending. It's easy enough to check the status of an insurance claim with USPS, FedEx or UPS.

xx
Common Sense ? Out the Window !

Started by MovieMan

4 Replies
Last post April 23, 2013, 04:00:08 PM
by alloro
xx
Is it just common sense to go to EVERY AUCTION you can or pick and choose?

Started by MovieMan

6 Replies
Last post December 22, 2012, 08:01:06 AM
by theoddfind
xx
The $5000 Dollar "Storage Auction" Common Sense Challenge! Man Up Today!

Started by Glendon Cameron

25 Replies
Last post May 02, 2013, 04:18:19 PM
by Mack
xx
Best Sellers on Ebay

Started by 39shades

3 Replies
Last post June 04, 2012, 06:19:53 PM
by rulesforrebels