Storage Auctions

Do people at your flea market come before sunrise?

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
Do people at your flea market come before sunrise?
« on: March 05, 2013, 09:06:32 PM »
Years ago when I started selling at a flea market I couldn't believe people were out in the dark with flashlights looking at stuff as the vendors set up before dawn.

It varies during the year of course and during this last winter vendors set up later than usual so the flashlight guys didn't have much to look at.

If they don't come before sunrise, a certain number come just at or a little after looking for deals. I set up my tables but don't put anything out and the go looking for deals myself.

How is it in YOUR area?

Re: Do people at your flea market come before sunrise?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 04:35:44 PM »
my market wont let you (vendors) in before 7

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 06:25:39 PM »
I quit going to the flea market for that reason. Mine lets the buyers in with the vendors. You can't even get the stuff off of the truck before they are digging through it. I had several brass statues stolen while I was trying to unload. I sell mostly out of the store but was trying to offload some of the smaller stuff I don't sell in the store. I would rather give it to charity than go through that again.

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 11:02:45 AM »
The buyers at dark / before open are mostly other dealers at my flea.  I know most of them and they always hit me up first thing in the morning.  I have no problem selling my stuff to them for my price.  If they want to jack it up more and re-sell it that is cool.  Had a few people get huffy when I wouldn't negotiate with them at 6:30 in the morning.

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 11:50:38 AM »
I think some people get there at 8pm the night before and sleep in their cars/trucks!  ::)

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 05:38:32 PM »
I think some people get there at 8pm the night before and sleep in their cars/trucks!  ::)

on a semi related note
we had a huge flea market close about 3 years ago and displaced multiple hundred vendors (place had 1000 spots )

at my flea market I got in line at 11:45 pm on friday night for the first saturday of the year (they open at 7am) and i was already 17th in line :-[

they have since changed the rules to you cant get on line before 2:30 am as it was interfering with the movie theatre crowd

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 04:20:57 AM »
Like Craig most of the buyers first thing in the morning are vendors. I would always say here come the vultures.... Occasionally we would have a few sells in the morning to the vendors. Had one make an offer and we turned it down.. He came back mid day and upped his offer, So Sold...guess he really wanted it.

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 11:54:56 PM »
My flea market officially opens at 5 am but there are no gates for buyers and if dealers that prepaid for their spot get there before 5 they can just drive through the gate.  I usually get there around 4:45 get my flashlight and check on the other dealers before setting up .  You usually know the "regulars" and I usually hit the non regs, the ones that cleaned out the shed the day before.  Competition is fierce where I go so you have to be quick or you miss the goodies.  I ALWAYS have guys come by my booth bragging about something I missed and they didn't.  but at a market with about 1000 vendors you get it all. lol

xx
Local antique market sponsered a free parking lot flea market

Started by Ironman

3 Replies
Last post April 06, 2011, 07:34:17 AM
by Ironman
xx
First flea market of the season

Started by parksleyman

7 Replies
Last post April 15, 2013, 01:28:41 PM
by HomeGrownPromos