Storage Auctions

First flea market of the season

First flea market of the season
« on: April 14, 2013, 08:14:53 AM »
The first Flea market sale for me of the summer.  My goal was to get up early in the morning and grab some boxes of stuff  and load them in the truck and head out to the flea market.  I made it up at 5:30 am, go the truck loaded and made it to the market.  Holy crap, the place was loaded with sellers.  Luckily I found a spot that was not too bad and started to set up.  Tables were already there and the cost was 15 bucks. Then I found out that I grabbed the boxes from some of the trashy units’ leftovers and a lot of clothing.  I had no choice but to make the best of it.  Shoes, jackets, junk and a lot of other clothing.  At the end of the day, I make 100 bucks, got rid of the shoes and junk, donated a few boxes for karma. And kept some clothing for later.   It was like fighting for dollars, a lot of people, but no one wanted to pay much.  A buck is a buck.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
Re: First flea market of the season
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 08:35:27 AM »
For Californians the "season" is year round. Our only issues with weather are snow in the mountains where flea markets aren't a thing anyway.  The rainy season is January through April, but it's an inconsistent thing. Our water supplies largely come from mountain snow melt.

Anyway, too bad you didn't have your better boxes with you, but the outcome helped out anyway.  When I started doing flea markets in 2004 a "slow" day was $300.  Now (recession years later) I'm happy to even DO $300 with $200 being a more normal day and $100 days aren't rare. I don't sell anything much bigger than a breadbox at the flea.

It all depends on things like what you've got, the crowd, the venue, time of year, time of month, etc. There are 4 flea markets within 10 miles of each  other and they represent different opportunities. I only sell at one of them.

Used to be you could get $75 for a lightweight worm drive circular saw but now it's a hard-sale at $40. No construction going on around here.

The dollar by dollar gathering has been more and more common here especially the last year or so. Some days a $10 sale is my biggest ticket. I took out a $125 (retail) Pelican case about 4 times before I finally sold it for $45 (came down from $60). There are lots of stories like that.

BUT, the flea gets rid of stuff that isn't viable on Clist or eBay, so what can you do. Try selling a Pelican case on eBay...look at the competition there.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 11:02:18 AM »
For Californians the "season" is year round.

I would think when FMs are year round that the prices tend to be lower, because if "I" don't find something this week "I'll" find it next week. However, when FMs are seasonal people will tend to pay a slightly higher asking price rather than lose out on the purchase.

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 02:02:10 PM »
For Californians the "season" is year round.

Same here in North Texas.  In fact a couple of the local flea markets are more like giant stoarge facilities where every weekend the owners pop open the doors and sell from inside their lockers.  (I'm looking at you Traders Village...)

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 06:41:09 PM »
Starting at the flea market that's owned by another auction regular was one of the better decisions I've made. I have a dedicated spot, storage and I can come and go as I please. I can still do things on the weekends with my family, and set up shop for a half a day. The big flea market at the fairgrounds is crazy.. Have to wake up before dawn to get out there and in line for a decent spot. They don't give you tables, no storage unless you pay rent for an inside unit. I'm sure people are successful there, but it's a lot more work.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 10:39:21 AM »
I'm sure people are successful there, but it's a lot more work.

Hmmm, hard work=success, what a concept! :)

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 12:30:37 PM »

I hear the concept is referred to as "Quaint and old fashioned" now a days....

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 01:28:41 PM »

Of course, if you work hard you are successful. What I meant to say and didn't clearly outline is that I'm doing just as well as those guys who get up at the crack of dawn for the hope of a good spot because of the decision I made to go with the new flea market rather than roll the dice each weekend.

A friend of mine took some stuff up to the big flea at the break of dawn. She made $300ish that weekend. I worked 10-5 at my flea Sat. and Sun. I pulled in $275. The advantage she had (if she did it often) is building clientele quicker if she can stay in the same spot weekly.

xx
Local antique market sponsered a free parking lot flea market

Started by Ironman

3 Replies
Last post April 06, 2011, 07:34:17 AM
by Ironman
xx
Flea Market Revenue ?

Started by MovieMan

35 Replies
Last post January 25, 2012, 09:16:05 AM
by stxredneck