Storage Auctions

Flea market prices

Flea market prices
« on: January 20, 2012, 10:11:53 AM »
I m not here to complain or instigate an issue with you flea market booth owners or leasee. 

Why is it every time I go into the flea market, the prices are full blown retail where i can get most of it new at the stores? 

I dont get it.   ::)

If i do come across old stuff (appears old) but its reproduction and still at full blown retail? 

that goes all over me. 

Re: Flea market prices
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 10:46:31 AM »
I have found that some people think their items are worth their weight in gold. Ebay has these people also.
When I sell at the flea market, I want to go home with alot less than what I came with. I know the market in my area, even though the prices are a steal, I always have those that want everything for nothing.
In my area, the ones that insist on trying to sell their items at or near retail, usually don't last long. Especially when the table beside them has the same thing for half the cost. Then I know some that have absolutely nothing else to do besides "hang out" at the flea market and try to lure anyone and everyone into a BS story about how their HUMBLE, (yes I spelled it the way it was written on the bottom of their knock-off) figurine was once owned by General Lee's wife. (true story) Asking price: 500 dollars.
But once in a while, they will find a sucker..(usually someone not from the area. My town gets alot of traffic from OH, WV, VA and KY folks going to the beach) Then, Bingo, they have a story to tell forever.lol

Offline Alias

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 11:29:49 AM »
I've noticed that too. More at the 'trendy' flea's that have turned to organic farmers markets.

Guy wanted $100 for Snap-On set of wrench's. Told him they were about 10-15 years old and the same set now for $115 and are redesigned to be more comfortable in the hand and lighter, stronger alloy.

He argued with how I was wrong even though I had the website and price right on my phone!

Finally he just said that I was still saving $15.

Why would I by used when I can get new, better ones for $15? And if I get it from the truck the guy prints out a tax slip for me at the end of the year! No fuss, no saving receipts.....

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 11:47:15 AM »
A fellow part time auction buyer, went to the Flea to sell and he did not do well. Argued that the stuff had value and was not going to give it away. This even after the fellow flea market vendors told him he was too high.  So did a reality check with him on his value, he was not buying because had to much inventory. Last update he finally moved some inventory.

Going out to the Flea this weekend might piss some people off. Our prices are cheep.

My Uncle was an avid yard seller, his motto was if their books are over a quarter leave.  They value their stuff more than you do.  :D

Alias why even argue? Just walk away.  :o  LOL

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 01:01:18 PM »
Okay, thank you guys for chiming in. 

If i was a flea market vendor or booth holders, I would price them half price to move those inventory all day long and bring in new inventory.

I'd rather move it pretty quick because overhead is expensive unless you own the building.  Still gotta pay electricity, water, etc etc. 

thats why im a successful seller because i price them half price and I can get them gone in 2-7 days instead letting it linger in inventory for a month or longer. 

Its called Stale inventory.

(talking to myself)  :o Keep seeing all the items at full blown retail  ::)  (mumbles) 

Offline Alias

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 03:27:03 PM »

Alias why even argue? Just walk away.  :o  LOL

Cause sometimes, just sometimes, I meet an individual that annoys me to such a great extent that I venture outside my natural state of "whatever" and feel the need to call them out.....

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 03:33:20 PM »
Cause sometimes, just sometimes, I meet an individual that annoys me to such a great extent that I venture outside my natural state of "whatever" and feel the need to call them out.....

Make my husband walk away before it gets past that natural state of "whatever' LOL

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 07:27:23 PM »
It all depends on the flea IMO.  We have two flea markets just over a mile from each other.  One advertises a ton, is right next to the main highway.  The vendors there are 10-20% higher then the other market.  Some of that I think is due to overhead being higher.

They love when I show up as I sell many 1-3 items that they buy and then try and resale at $5 or so.  I know that is what they are doing and have no problem with that.  I'm mostly turning and burning inventory and don't want to sit on it for weeks on end till the right buyer comes by.

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 07:10:45 AM »
I know that is what they are doing and have no problem with that.  I'm mostly turning and burning inventory and don't want to sit on it for weeks on end till the right buyer comes by.
That's me to a T~ 
I'd rather move it and be done than to quibble over a buck or two.  There are I times I won't go lower and 90% of the time it's due to a customers attitude.  I had one guy argue the price of a car seat with me.  "It's $5"  'You'll take $2'  "No, I'll take $4" 'you'll take $2'  "now we're back to $5"  He finally left the booth and I sold it for $3 to a nice lady.  I'm going to have to work on a sign that says "Prices subject to change due to customers attitude!"

I had a young man call me yesterday about our 'junkers flea market' as he normally does the 'other one'.  I warned him upfront that they will try to get it for nothing, but if you just deal you can move a lot of inventory, especially first thing in the morning to fellow vendors.

We're headed out in an hour with some new & some old inventory.  We're going to get two booths today as we're taking out a bunch of vintage & collectible items and don't want them getting 'lost' in the junk stuff.  I've tried selling antiques there in the past without a lot of luck, but I'm going to deeply discount my old stock and hopefully move some of the new as well.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 05:51:22 PM »

They love when I show up as I sell many 1-3 items that they buy and then try and resale at $5 or so.  I know that is what they are doing and have no problem with that.  I'm mostly turning and burning inventory and don't want to sit on it for weeks on end till the right buyer comes by.

Happened to us today. Two kids Bike helmets been in the 3 yard sales started at $5, then down to $3, today Vendor bought for $1 each said she can sell them for $5 (guess she was honest because she was a cross from us) LOL Did not care take it away. They were still on her table at end of day.  ;). A few vendors picked us. Turn and burn.

Had a nice set of china not complete. Plates, desert plates, and the saucers, Priced at $1 for the set just wanted them gone. Had a couple discuss it for over 5 Min.  ??? It is a Dollar. LOL Had to load them up. Think will price them for $5 next weekend.

Offline Alias

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 06:05:51 PM »
Isn't it funny how people will think about $1 item for forever but you mark it for $5 and they will walk up offer $3 and buy instantly!  All psychology I guess....

Like our owner says, never talk in terms of dollars, build the value of the product so the price doesn't matter.....

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 06:15:51 PM »
Happened to us today. Two kids Bike helmets been in the 3 yard sales started at $5, then down to $3, today Vendor bought for $1 each said she can sell them for $5 (guess she was honest because she was a cross from us) LOL Did not care take it away. They were still on her table at end of day.  ;). A few vendors picked us. Turn and burn.

Had a nice set of china not complete. Plates, desert plates, and the saucers, Priced at $1 for the set just wanted them gone. Had a couple discuss it for over 5 Min.  ??? It is a Dollar. LOL Had to load them up. Think will price them for $5 next weekend.

I know of a long time flea market vendor who sometimes will actually break the item in front of the customer if they haggle over a $1-$2 item. He will tell them "Should of bought it at a $1, now it's worthless!"

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 06:27:17 PM »
I know of a long time flea market vendor who sometimes will actually break the item in front of the customer if they haggle over a $1-$2 item. He will tell them "Should of bought it at a $1, now it's worthless!"

ROTFL

Gave my husband an idea... Thanks I will take the broom and dust pan.

Still Laughing.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 06:36:40 PM »
Isn't it funny how people will think about $1 item for forever but you mark it for $5 and they will walk up offer $3 and buy instantly!  All psychology I guess....

Like our owner says, never talk in terms of dollars, build the value of the product so the price doesn't matter.....

I think that is what was wrong too low of a price. Might even put $10 on it. LOL

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 10:26:02 AM »
Lol Cobia - that is just too funny.

As for prices - sometimes I think you can price an item too low and thus it don't sell.  But if you price it higher and let them "talk" you down it sells.  I've had a few items like that.  Sit and don't move at the $1-$3 range.  Jack the price up to $5 - $10 and they sell at that price or a little lower after some haggling.  I'm like seriously - you could of gotten it for $1 last week.

As said it has to be a psych thing.  I still remember this one person who in Oct asked me about this 1 item I had for $5.  He didn't buy it.  Then in Nov, he comes by and picks up the same item I now have priced at $20 and buys it.  I just smile and say Thank You.

xx
Local antique market sponsered a free parking lot flea market

Started by Ironman

3 Replies
Last post April 06, 2011, 07:34:17 AM
by Ironman
xx
3 items you cant bring yourself to sell at prices the market seems to offer?

Started by rulesforrebels

11 Replies
Last post August 30, 2011, 09:58:06 PM
by jrossjr79
xx
Sell at one flea market...buy at another

Started by MovieMan

1 Replies
Last post February 09, 2013, 03:02:18 PM
by fredgsanford
xx
Flea Market Revenue ?