Storage Auctions

flea market rantings ravings and perhaps a tip or 2

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
Re: flea market rantings ravings and perhaps a tip or 2
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 08:38:20 AM »
One way I create customer goodwill and try to get them coming back to buy from me at the flea market is instead of giving them a plastic bag to put their items in, I give them a purse, backpack, shoulder bag, etc. from the pile that doesn't sell on the tables. It's amazing how excited they look when I give them one of these "bags" to put their stuff in when I could'nt sell them for $1 on the tables.  ;D

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2012, 10:40:03 PM »
A rant:

Customers....if you find a $15, like-new cookbook on my table and I am asking $2, please don't offer 50 cents.

If you want that kind of price, go to 50 garage sales and see if the title shows up...there you MIGHT get it for your price.

Meanwhile, twenty minutes later it sold for that $2.00 while you were still shaking your head at the fact I could turn down your offer.

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2012, 12:15:27 AM »
One more. Saying I'm not going to pay that.THEN DON"T!!!

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2012, 08:30:26 AM »
Another line I get tired of hearing:

"I saw that advertised new at less than your asking."

My respose: "Did you buy it?"  Invariably their answer is no.

Yesterday I had two brand new moving dollies.... I was asking $10 each for them. I knew they were from Harbor Freight and I looked them up to see what the store price was. Normally it is $15 and they were at that moment on sale for $10.

In my area certain buyers can quote you 100 prices from Harbor Freight!  Anyway, I decided to ask $10 each, halfway planning to bait some of these characters.

Half a dozen people asked how much before one said "Harbor Freight has these on sale right now at $8.00." Well, he was close but off by $2.00. So I asked him if he planned driving over there that day to buy one or two. "No ?", Well you can buy them here, save the gas and no sales tax. "I'll think about it", he said.

He came back later and I pointed to the two next to my van now. "Are you ready to buy them?" I asked. He said yes and I proceeded to tell him.."Too late, they sold 10 minutes after you left.... $9.00 each". I went to sit in the side door of my van and looked up to see him standing there, dumbfounded for a good minute before he walked off mumbling.

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2012, 09:14:01 AM »
He came back later and I pointed to the two next to my van now. "Are you ready to buy them?" I asked. He said yes and I proceeded to tell him.."Too late, they sold 10 minutes after you left.... $9.00 each". I went to sit in the side door of my van and looked up to see him standing there, dumbfounded for a good minute before he walked off mumbling.

I absolutely love it!!!  Don is more like you MM~he rarely backs down.  I'm a pushover.  :-\

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2012, 04:06:59 PM »
Yep, that's one of the fun things about the flea market. So many people think they are going to find everything for $1-$2 dollars, and thats not reality. This weekend I had a $200 microwave I was selling for $35. Of course I got the usual smirks, frowns, and low ball offers, "will you sell it for $5?" One guy came back with a bag full of confidence, "I'll give you $25 for that microwave!" Sorry, sold it to a husband and wife with kids who did'nt even blink at the price, they new it was a good deal. Had a kid's chalkboard/whiteboard easel. I was asking $10, and some guy wanted it for $8, so I said OK, i'll take $8. Then he wanted to low ball further, another guy standing next to him whipped out his money and said "Hell, I'll buy it for $8!" I said sold! The first guy was just staring jaw dropped in disbelief. As a customer, you can only F around so much before you lose the item!

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2012, 05:56:26 PM »
Another line I get tired of hearing:

"I saw that advertised new at less than your asking."

My respose: "Did you buy it?"  Invariably their answer is no.

Sounds Like my husband.   LOL

Thanks Movieman and Cobia needed that after our weekend.

And then you have people like the lady looking for a cake server and knife for a wedding asked if we had one and we did not, told her I had looked around and did not see any, but I was not looking for that.
She came back by and said look what I got for $3 a wedding server and knife set (we would have sold it for $2) Then she said I gave her a $5 Tip  :o

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2012, 08:22:20 PM »
Funny to hear you guys complain... I love and HATE the flea market. In Denver there is really only one decent one. 1/2 is the 'marketplace' with cheap Chinese junk of all kinds (two stalls at least of each). 1/4 of the drive up booths are more cheap Chinese junk from full time sellers. And then finally... 1/4 are more the garage seller type. I love shopping those 1/4 and looking for something good. Anyways, I HATE the dirtball cheap skates. Last time I was there, I had a brand new dishwasher with warranty card and receipt - bought on sale for $250 - came with our house when we bought it. It was the last of the new appliances I had to sell. I was asking $125 - about a 1/3 of the normal retail price. I can't tell you how many people couldn't believe my nerve asking that... Had all the 'regular' guys with appliance shops offering me $50 or less. I had one get particularly rude with me that when I was walking around passed his stall. He had the EXACT model used and nasty for $200. He didn't appreciate it when I told some people around his stall about my dishwasher I had for sell. Liked it even less when they came and cleaned out all my appliances (3 microwaves, 2 convection ovens, 1 stove all used and the new dishwasher) in 15 minutes...

Anyways - it's those people that want to pay $1-2 for EVERYTHING that really irritate me.

Sam

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2012, 09:54:28 PM »
In Denver there is really only one decent one.

Genie Sam...

What is the name/address of the Denver flea you recommend? I am going to visit the area in late March and would like to take it in.

Thanks !  :)

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2012, 08:48:54 AM »
I must be lucky as I have maybe only 1 or 2 customers try to really lowball me on items.  Most people just buy my stuff as is.  Only a few will "haggle" the price at all.  Of those many times I'll give them a buck or two off depending what it is just for asking.

I do have one lady I'll run out of my stall if she shows up again.  Is a oriental lady that tries to do major lowballing on you.  She is also a thief.  Visitied my stall one weekend 3 times trying to get a $10 jacket for $1.  She then grabs up 6 of my $.25 items and tries to buy them for $.50.  Sold her the 6 for a buck - however, I'm 99% sure she picked up a few other items from the basket and tossed them in her bag when she grabbed her purchase.  My daughter came up to me after and said same thing.  Since was only $.25 items I didn't worry about it but will run her off in the future.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2012, 06:51:08 PM »
Tip:

Took all those misc. pot lids that are still good. Pot trashed.  Put them in a small plastic basket sell for .25 each. Sold 6 over the weekend. Had several people look through it.

Rant / funny:

Hate the bundle crap. I mean I do it too but some times just can't get my brain around it. (feel like I am getting ripped off) Husband better with it.

That said had a set of surround sound speakers (cheap) Tired of carrying them around almost to the point of giving them away We had $3 on them. Guy really wanted them wife said no. So he kept looking found a poster $1, 2 picture frames $.50, Husband walks over and says you can have it all for $5.00 Sold

Guy paid an extra .50 for the speakers.  ::)  Was not intentional some of the picture frames are $1.

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2012, 01:31:40 PM »
MM - It is called "Mile High Marketplace"...  The link with info is:

http://milehighmarketplace.com/en/Flea_Market/

$70 per spot for Friday/Saturday/Sunday.  If it wasn't so far for me, I would think it would be a good choice for a weekend of sales to clear out my garage of inventory (~1,200sqft).

Sam

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2012, 01:35:29 PM »
MM - It is called "Mile High Marketplace"...  The link with info is:

http://milehighmarketplace.com/en/Flea_Market/

$70 per spot for Friday/Saturday/Sunday.  If it wasn't so far for me, I would think it would be a good choice for a weekend of sales to clear out my garage of inventory (~1,200sqft).

Sam

Thanks....I'll be going as a shopper...maybe I'll pick up a couple of items I can turn a profit on.

Went to website, downloaded pdf map of the vendors, mapped it on my laptop, put in iPad and car navigator and am taking a handheld eTrex as well to get me around the acreage !  Ready for some fun at a new flea !

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2012, 07:29:25 AM »
It's forecast to be 104 degrees on Saturday and 103 degrees on Sunday. Think ill skip the flea market this weekend.  :P

xx
Local antique market sponsered a free parking lot flea market

Started by Ironman

3 Replies
Last post April 06, 2011, 07:34:17 AM
by Ironman
xx
Flea Market Flip !

Started by MovieMan

4 Replies
Last post May 28, 2013, 06:15:08 PM
by MTP
xx
Selling at flea market is sometimes odd.

Started by jme9626

0 Replies
Last post July 01, 2015, 07:16:28 PM
by jme9626
xx
Flea market prices

Started by Todd Hamilton

15 Replies
Last post January 23, 2012, 03:25:34 PM
by money4nothing