Storage Auctions

Any tips on holding an Auction

Any tips on holding an Auction
« on: April 11, 2012, 02:45:02 PM »
I've been hooked on shows like storage wars for awhile now looks like there in San Diego tomorrow. So I am going to try to go. I still have not been to one and now my Boss has decided he is going to hold an Auction and just clear out our scripps ranch show room and warehouse. Its my job to advertise for it but every where I look its a storage auction or public auction I'm not sure what I'm supposed to call this type of Auction. I did set up a website to advertise for it watkinsnetwork.com but I cant find just like a regular site to post the auction I found one but they have been inactive since last year. Any ways any tips would be greatly appreciated. Either on the site I made for it or on how to let people know in my area. I'm in San Diego Ca by the way. Thanks in Advance.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
Re: Any tips on holding an Auction
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 02:53:52 PM »
You know what I think? I think you guys do this all the time and now you come here pretending to ask questions; when in reality you're trying to get free advertising for your auctions. How do I know you ask? Well, no one puts the kind of work into your website that you did, for just one auction.

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 03:13:39 PM »
That web site was sitting dead 1 days ago and no I do not hold Auctions all the time. I am a Marketing manager for A home improvement company that's what I do. The web site was for advertising my consulting services its a template site so it takes minutes to edit, but thanks for the compliment I guess that means it looks decent. I am truly here for advice maybe I get lucky and some one on this site is from San Diego, Interested in my Auction, and free on the right day. I'm not going to count on that. Right now the only thing I can count on is me and my ability to scour the interwebz for advice on Auctions wich I am a complete virgin at I have never even been to an auction yet. So hopefully this response kills the chance of this becoming a flame war or something. I appreciate your comment you are a member of these Boards and I am just a new Guest. I just didn't have time to hang out and get to know every one before asking questions. This was dropped on my lap yesterday and I am frantically working against a quick deadline so that this is not a bust. So since you looked at the site and constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated or any tips on where to advertise this or what to call it I'm not even sure of the right keywords to use. 

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 05:02:55 PM »
Yet at the bottom of the screen you directed us to it indicates "designer websites by watkinswebsites.com".

It looks to me like you are promoting your website design business as a "free trial" is promoted when clicking on THAT link.

Normally, I would label this thread with a big fat SPAM picture, but I'll give you the benefit of a doubt.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 05:09:05 PM »
Well after looking at your website I am on the side of Alloro and MovieMan.

But if it is a true blue auction advertise on CL under the items you have.

Classified ads.

Are you hiring an auctioneer?  If so he will advertise it.

Good luck.

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 05:20:46 PM »
Yes that link leads to my website business but once again I doubt that this would be the best place to or way to gain website customers.
So I'm not giving up hope on gaining some valuable information from this thread!

I think I might remove the website link on the bottom if I hear more people complain about it.

As an Update to how I'm advertising this ( Still hoping for some tips and advice )
I have posted on Craigslist under events
And under Materials for Sale
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mat/2953088829.html   9No results yet but fingers are crossed)

I started a small Google adwords campaign and I Seem to be getting most of my traffic from that I am using both text ads and Display ads with Geo targeting around San Diego and Los angelas ( Not sure if I'm wasting the companies money advertising to LA )

I still don't know of any Auction list sites where people would search for Auctions other then sites maintained by the Auctioneers. (Waiting on the owner to tell me who ares is he said He has some one figure I can pick there brain.)

I am still not sure what this type of Auction would be called so my google search's keep pulling up the wrong results which are heavily dominated by professional Auction Advertisers.

And this is the only Board I have got any response from prob due to the same reason I got a response from this one Spam Spam ahh lol.

So ...  ???

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 05:24:11 PM »
Well after looking at your website I am on the side of Alloro and MovieMan.

But if it is a true blue auction advertise on CL under the items you have.

Classified ads.

Are you hiring an auctioneer?  If so he will advertise it.

Good luck.

Thanks for the Info money4nothing I just posted the Cl ad a few minutes ago and yesterday I also posted it as an event on Cl

The owner Hired an Auctioneer yesterday and I'm waiting for him to come by this office so I can get his contact info do you think It would help if I mentioned his info on my site if he gives me permission to do so or would that maybe deter people for some reason?

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 05:36:30 PM »
I've been hooked on shows like storage wars for awhile now looks like there in San Diego tomorrow. So I am going to try to go. I still have not been to one and now my Boss has decided he is going to hold an Auction and just clear out our scripps ranch show room and warehouse. Its my job to advertise for it but every where I look its a storage auction or public auction I'm not sure what I'm supposed to call this type of Auction. I did set up a website to advertise for it watkinsnetwork.com but I cant find just like a regular site to post the auction I found one but they have been inactive since last year. Any ways any tips would be greatly appreciated. Either on the site I made for it or on how to let people know in my area. I'm in San Diego Ca by the way. Thanks in Advance.
[/quote

Well as an Auctioneer here are several things that I see in less than 3 mins on your site

1. start time too early unless you are gonna offer preview the day before

2. needs more pics of items up for auction

3. you need to proof read, you have a misspelling!

Offline Alias

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 05:37:21 PM »
So? It's an auction? And your auctioning off the excess warehouse and showroom goods?  And it will actually be in a warehouse and/or showroom?

Ummm......Warehouse & Showroom Auction? That's what they call it here.
"liquidation" leads me to believe your going out of business
Whew! Got that handled.

Next question? And not so hard this time!  ;D

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 05:46:09 PM »

Proofread is one word.  ;)

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 05:48:01 PM »
Proofread is one word.  ;)

WOW the Great MM(in his own mind) read one of my post.....FOA!

Offline Alias

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 05:56:48 PM »
Quote from: watkinsnetwork link=topic=2506.msg17310#msg17310

The owner Hired an Auctioneer yesterday and I'm waiting for him to come by this office so I can get his contact info do you think It would help if I mentioned his info on my site if he gives me permission to do so or would that maybe deter people for some reason?

I would. I see an auctioneers info attached and I'm reassured. Or am once I look them up.
Been to some 'estate auction' that I'm pretty sure the auctioneer was Uncle 'oh I can do that, don't waste your money' Bob......

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 05:59:40 PM »
[/quote

Well as an Auctioneer here are several things that I see in less than 3 mins on your site

1. start time too early unless you are gonna offer preview the day before

2. needs more pics of items up for auction

1. I agree with you on the time I don't normally come in till 10am he has the Viewing at 7:30 which I'm expecting means he will expect me in by 7 I'm not happy about that so I will talk to him about it I would love to change the time ( Any Suggestions on what time is reasonable? )

2. I uploaded about 90 yesterday and I went past my band with cap so I am trying to do that it just seems to make the site slow down to a crawl but its on the list for tomorrow.  ( I was Thinking of Uploading them to something like photobucket.com and just posting a link that says Pics?)

3. I'm hoping this was "Equipment" I had a t in there I'm a bad speller.

"Alias" So? It's an auction? And your auctioning off the excess warehouse and showroom goods?  And it will actually be in a warehouse and/or showroom?

Ummm......Warehouse & Showroom Auction? That's what they call it here.
"liquidation" leads me to believe your going out of business
Whew! Got that handled.

Next question? And not so hard this time!  

Thank you "WAREHOUSE & SHOWROOM AUCTION " is pulling much better results on google at this point I have little excuse as to why I didn't try that search string I work on an excuse for that later.

I just thought Liquidation sounded good and would get more interest. Technically were not going out of business just shutting down a branch but we are getting rid of every thing here.  

Next question? And not so hard this time!  
Any suggestions where to list the Auction other then Craigslist?

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 06:14:08 PM »
Most previews start no earlier than 8:30...you got to let the big money buyers get their breakfast in, you do not want them leaving at around 11:00 am because they missed breakfast to get to the early preview.....and on that note have some canned drinks and crackers available(for sale)

The best thing to do is HIRE A PROFESSIONAL!!!!...He/She will get you "what the market will bear" on auction day.

Your misspelling is on the pics link page...Showroom starts with a "S" not a "D" 

Offline Alias

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 06:20:21 PM »
If your shutting down branch I guess 'liquidation' could technically be correct.
To me it just sounds negative.....

Advertising?
Direct mailers from sales addresses. Contractors and such.
Though outside companies are spendy and doing it yourself is time consuming
Though maybe on a small scale to you regulars or local contractors. Pick-n-choose.

Simular, if you have all emails from sales you can do a mass email if your server allows that volume and you have someone that can script to pull addys. Typing in by hand would take forever.

Then the normal spots. Craigslist. Public Notice section in paper. Don't know if SD has it but here we have a classified ad's type paper. Free at like 7-11.

And word of mouth. Every sale hand out a flyer.  
Have outside sales department? Have them spread the word....

xx
Online Storage Auction Tips

Started by HomeGrownPromos

9 Replies
Last post December 16, 2013, 08:30:19 PM
by Travis
xx
Been holding onto them for awhile now

Started by jrossjr79

10 Replies
Last post August 23, 2011, 12:53:29 PM
by jrossjr79