Storage Auctions

Anyone have to deal with this?

Offline alloro

• View Profile
Anyone have to deal with this?
« on: October 22, 2011, 06:38:45 PM »
6. The buyer acknowledges in certain circumstances XXX XXXX Storage may contact the buyer and request that certain items be purchased back in order to prevent any court action with said tenant, the buyer also agrees to sell to XXX XXXX Storage such items for (a) the cost at which buyer purchased such items plus (b) any reasonable actual costs incurred by buyer in connection with such items.

Offline Drew

• Admin
    • View Profile
    • Online Storage Auctions
Re: Anyone have to deal with this?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 07:39:11 PM »
Haven't seen that before!

Offline acman

• Buying lockers without paying retail, FTW!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 08:00:40 PM »
6. The buyer acknowledges in certain circumstances XXX XXXX Storage may contact the buyer and request that certain items be purchased back in order to prevent any court action with said tenant, the buyer also agrees to sell to XXX XXXX Storage such items for (a) the cost at which buyer purchased such items plus (b) any reasonable actual costs incurred by buyer in connection with such items.

IMO to me this reads sell the personal crap to the owner to cya the storage companies  and make some cash on crap you can't resell.  Anything beyond that is bullspit and I'd never bid at a place like that again. I'd also would bag all valuables before loading in a truck and I'd lie like hell if the previous owner asked about an item of value. If it was small I'd say it wasn't in there, and tell the owner it was mostly likely lost in the move, fragile say it was broken in the move and electronics aren't working due too extremem heat or cold.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 03:50:36 AM »
Yeah I didn't like it too much either. I'm curious if anyone has had to sell items back to a storage place yet.

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 06:56:52 PM »
New one to me.

Offline Bandit

• View Profile
    • Storage Battles
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 06:23:11 PM »
Alloro
   Does someone here in Mass. have that in there contract ?  If so , I haven't seen it , unless it is new .

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 08:55:13 PM »
Yeah I didn't like it too much either. I'm curious if anyone has had to sell items back to a storage place yet.

Had to? no. Been asked? yes. I have a google voice number (go get one!) it does not ring on any phone I own. But you can leave a voice mail. I give this number to anyone I'd rather not talk to. It allows me to call them back if I want.

How in the hell does the facility owner even know the item was in the locker in the first place?

let um battle it out in court. I HIGHLY doubt the judge would ever side with the person who lost the locker.

if they where not notified of the sale correctly it sucks to be the person in charge at the facility.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 10:07:40 PM »
Alloro
   Does someone here in Mass. have that in there contract?

It was in Enfield, CT

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 08:44:07 AM »
Hi Alloro- I usually don't read any of the paperwork. ::) But the busiest storage auctioneer here in Connecticut usually says in his pre auction speech- (something like) previous owner has upto 72 hours to purchase back unit at a "reasonable price" . Weather required or just legal cya-not sure it matters. Iirc - wether here or in Mass I heard a story. It was an auction company sold the wrong unit. The unit that was sold was paid up. I assume the auctioneer tried to get said items back - probably with great difficulty. -M

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 10:33:13 AM »
It was an auction company sold the wrong unit. The unit that was sold was paid up. I assume the auctioneer tried to get said items back - probably with great difficulty. -M

A person would have to be a fool not to give the unit back, assuming the monthly payment records were produced first. If the records do show it was paid every month and that auctioning it off was truly an error, then the bid winner is not legally entitled to the contents.

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 03:12:17 PM »
A person would have to be a fool not to give the unit back, assuming the monthly payment records were produced first. If the records do show it was paid every month and that auctioning it off was truly an error, then the bid winner is not legally entitled to the contents.

This has not happened to me. If it was an error like this, yes I would return the locker for a reasonable fee (50-200 bucks)

However, if it's someones locker who truly was being. to bad so sad.

I'll return certain items. important papers (to them. Stocks/bonds/cash.. no way), medical devices, items that belong to their kids.. That sort of thing. But the Motorcycle, LCD tv and PS3? no way. Never saw them, they where not in the unit that I know of.

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 09:05:02 PM »
The way I see it, once I put my lock on that locker, everything behind that door is mine.  If the storage company wanted to sell it back to the previous owner, they shouldn't be auctioning it in the first place.

You cant have your cake and eat it too.  We are paying some decent money to these auctioneers and storage companies, why would they want to kick a gift horse in the mouth?  Whats the alternative?  Not auction the unit and keep losing revenue because you have a tenant that won't pay?

If I was approached, I would be level headed and let them know I want to go through my stuff first and if I didn't feel the unit would be a good flip then I would inquire about selling it back to the previous owner.

Tax returns, pictures, Juniors kindergarten tote full of his crafts.. all this stuff is mine.  I give it back because I can't sell it and I do try to be a decent human being.  The very second a previous locker owner starts making legal threats; there stuff is going straight to the dump, I'm not going to play around.

If an auctioneer tried pulling that crap on me, I won't attend any more of their auctions. Enough people do this, that auctioneer will start losing money.

If the storage company was forcing them do this crap, same thing.  I won't do business with em. Then again, Dallas Fort Worth has plenty of auctions any given day of the week.

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 10:40:29 PM »
Ive only heard of em asking for personal paperwork type stuff

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 02:23:54 PM »
I have never seen anything like that.  I do see the "we reserve the right to refuse a bid or pull a unit" and the normal "bid / hold" legal stuff.  Never saw something like that.

Most of the places do ask you to bring back personal stuff.  I do that as a matter of course.  I even put the day purchased and unit # for their records.

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2011, 07:38:39 AM »
Things to think about...

Is that a notice or a contract you must sign prior to bidding?

Look at the wording "may contact" and "request", these are not obligations. They use the most subjective word in this contract, "reasonable" actual cost.

Can you just see them trying to take you to court because they think your cost to sell back the items is not "reasonable".

I think a good attorney on your side would have a field day with the wording of this contract.

xx
What's the deal with Honey Boo Boo ?

Started by MovieMan

3 Replies
Last post December 27, 2012, 10:05:01 AM
by dbr831
xx
What is the deal with web designers?

Started by Travis

5 Replies
Last post April 23, 2013, 03:58:31 PM
by rulesforrebels
xx
Counterfeit Merchandise - How to Deal With It

Started by Travis

12 Replies
Last post February 27, 2013, 10:36:12 AM
by Travis
xx
Nickel and Dimers - How do you deal with them?

Started by Travis

3 Replies
Last post February 22, 2013, 04:47:10 PM
by rulesforrebels