Storage Auctions

Auctioneer's Strange Habits

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
Auctioneer's Strange Habits
« on: October 10, 2013, 11:16:34 PM »
We were having a Pods auction next week but I just noticed that it was cancelled. The auctioneers for several Pods locations in Texas are Keith and Sheila Faske. You can check out their site here. texasstorageauctions.com/

Anyway, I've been to their auctions before and they are definitely unusual. Before the auction begins, Keith leads all of the buyers in prayer. Now, that may or may not be your thing but you have to give the guy credit that he's putting God first in his business. 

So, do you think this is appropriate?

Have an auctioneer in your area that does something strange? Tell us about it.

Re: Auctioneer's Strange Habits
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 10:01:22 AM »
Our auctioneers don't do anything crazy like that, just the normal preauction speech. If I were part of that auction, where I was forced to listen to a prayer before beginning, I would probably leave. I'm not saying it's bad, but I don't appreciate having religion pushed upon me. I've been part of several incidences where religion was pushed upon me and I've been told I'm going to hell because I don't contribute financially to a church on more than 1 occasion.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 10:05:16 AM »
Not so much "strange" as annoying. The main auctioneer around here like to get the costs of the units up by announcing the more valuable items he sees in them.

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 10:20:26 AM »
Not so much "strange" as annoying. The main auctioneer around here like to get the costs of the units up by announcing the more valuable items he sees in them.

Most auctioneers do that, don't they?

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 10:36:32 AM »
Anyway, I've been to their auctions before and they are definitely unusual. Before the auction begins, Keith leads all of the buyers in prayer. Now, that may or may not be your thing but you have to give the guy credit that he's putting God first in his business. 

So, do you think this is appropriate?

Have an auctioneer in your area that does something strange? Tell us about it.

It is not my thing but it is there business and they can do what they like.  I am personally weary of those that love to show their piety in public.  But I would still go to the auctions if they are good auctions and they treat everyone fairly.

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 09:16:48 PM »
Went to an auction about 1-1/2 years ago in this little town about 50 miles from me. Rare that i'll go out that way again. Anyway the old auctioneer they had would stand on top of the tail gate of a full-size truck with a lift kit and call the auctions. When ever a unit got "high" for what was showing or someone jumped the bid higher, he would spit a big wad of saliva/tobacco? on the ground before calling the next price. He only did it when a unit was getting run up high! It wasn't just a "I gotta clear my mouth spit" it was a "bend back then lean forward hard with full motion forceful spit!" No warning either.

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 09:22:33 PM »
Went to an auction about 1-1/2 years ago in this little town about 50 miles from me. Rare that i'll go out that way again. Anyway the old auctioneer they had would stand on top of the tail gate of a full-size truck with a lift kit and call the auctions. When ever a unit got "high" for what was showing or someone jumped the bid higher, he would spit a big wad of saliva/tobacco? on the ground before calling the next price. He only did it when a unit was getting run up high! It wasn't just a "I gotta clear my mouth spit" it was a "bend back then lean forward hard with full motion forceful spit!" No warning either.

That's funny. I'm sure the facility manager loved seeing that.  ::)

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 09:58:53 PM »
Most auctioneers do that, don't they?

Noooooo, it's actually quite unethical and can also lead to some serious liability on the part of the auctioneer.

xx
Central California Auctioneer Joins American Auctioneer (Dotson) Staff

Started by MovieMan

0 Replies
Last post July 05, 2013, 09:29:17 AM
by MovieMan
xx
Auctioneer loses facilities to other auctioneer

Started by MovieMan

1 Replies
Last post November 20, 2013, 09:04:20 PM
by the teacher
xx
Strange Locker Sale

Started by MovieMan

3 Replies
Last post January 16, 2014, 10:06:22 PM
by Travis
xx
Strange saturday crowd, but got first one!

Started by knoxie

13 Replies
Last post October 05, 2011, 10:16:51 AM
by knoxie