Storage Auctions

Barter Kings...lessons in trading the stuff we get at auctions !

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
This is the first episode of this I've seen. Kind of interesting.

Premise is to trade up (multiple times) some item worth not much (for first level).  There are three guys (I think) who are sort of partners and compete against each other a bit for the best trades.

The one I remember is 2 Elvis gold records (value $250) through about 5 trades ended up with a $10K (or so) speed boat. None of the guys want to lay out any money...straight barters.

This show is on BEFORE Storage Wars.

Offline bwd111

• View Profile
Re: Barter Kings...lessons in trading the stuff we get at auctions !
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 01:35:46 PM »
I started watching barter kings this morning and just couldnt get into the show. I  dvr'ed the show last night and am halfway thru first show.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 09:01:53 AM »
BK was a total turn off for me. I could be wrong but the whole thing just screamed "scripted" to me.

Offline Bandit

• View Profile
    • Storage Battles
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 04:05:27 PM »
BK was a total turn off for me. I could be wrong but the whole thing just screamed "scripted" to me.

Me Too
  I taped the series then started to fast forward through them , then just gave up and erased them all . ( To leave room for something Educational , Like Jerry Springer or Rosie )

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 05:03:59 PM »

No doubt about it being scripted...they couldn't put 5 trades together like that without planning it.

Next time I'll watch to see the continuity of the clothing they're wearing. BUT, even if scripted the idea is still interesting to me...to the extent they carry it.

If nothing else it got me more interested in bartering. Any I've done in the past has always involved some exchange of cash as well (to one person or the other) and I think that is probably par for the course.  I doubt I would ever be able to trade something straight across...one or the other person is bound to feel shortchanged if something doesn't accompany the trade.

NOW, I have sweetened a pot by throwing in an extra item to get the trade I want, but when you consider that sometimes the stuff we get costs next to nothing, that's not a big deal necessarily if the item hasn't sold for cash otherwise.

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 10:59:52 PM »
So is anybody still watching this?  It's interesting from the barter standpoint and it's cool to see what they get, but they're valuations on a lot of the items is a lot like Storage Wars. 

Also, where do you find all the suckers....uhh.....I mean craigslist trading partners, to let you make such a lopsided trade?  These guys are consistently going up 500-1500 every trade.  I saw them lose only once, and then they proceeded to really screw the guy in the next trade to make up for their loss! 

Cool concept, but typical "reality" show. 

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 11:20:08 PM »
So is anybody still watching this? 

Nope, didn't go back to it. I saw some previews and even in those  the trades were obviously over the top, so I didn't go there.

Oh, I got  call from a guy about a slot machine I had for sale and he asked if I would consider a barter situation.
He ran off a list of stuff he had, gave me his address and said just call before you come.

The next day I called (he was supposed to be home all day) and his dad said he was at work. Called his cell phone and left a message I could come over anytime in the next 6 hours. Never heard from him again...so much for bartering.

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 09:52:22 AM »
So is anybody still watching this?  It's interesting from the barter standpoint and it's cool to see what they get, but they're valuations on a lot of the items is a lot like Storage Wars. 

Also, where do you find all the suckers....uhh.....I mean craigslist trading partners, to let you make such a lopsided trade?  These guys are consistently going up 500-1500 every trade.  I saw them lose only once, and then they proceeded to really screw the guy in the next trade to make up for their loss! 

Cool concept, but typical "reality" show. 

Most of the bartereers in my local Craigslist are trying to pull suckers like the guys you mentioned. Everyone is all ready trying to upsale what they have to trade. I don't even bother looking at that section much anymore. My favorite was the guy trying to trade a 12' jonboat (with a slight leak) for a late model 4x4 truck! LOL!! Mostly people trying to trade real junk for something of value.

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 08:27:53 AM »
Show friggin sux

however trading can be a valuable tool for interesting items thats harder to sel
or cant seem to get a fair price forbthe worth of an item

i highly recommend trting.to trade it to either something more useful to u,
For more value, or something a person would be more likely to need

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 11:11:35 AM »
this whole bartering phenomenon is nothing new. obviously people been bartering forever but even more recently a few years back some kid got a lot of attention for trading a paper clip to begin with and winding up with a house at the end trading up all along the way. obviously the kids notoriety probably helped him and he got better deals strictly because of who he and people trying to help him accomplish that goal but none the less a cool story.

ive always liked bartering. as they say one mans junk is another mans treasure. often times something your going to maybe even throw away is osmething someone else is lookinng for and something thats been sitting in their attic for years not getting used may be something you want.

i used to build beanbag / cornhole games and trade and sell them on craigslist. id often trade for sporting event tickets. the guys who had the tickets generally had season tickets thru work so not only did they not pay for htem but htey weren't goign to use them anyway so worthless to them. me on the other hand would otherwise have to drop big bucks for tickets especially good company lower level tickets so id trade them cornhole aka beanbag games which cost me about $12 in supplies and a little bit of time. we both got a good deal and were happy. i used to do this alot.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 01:04:40 PM »
a few years back some kid got a lot of attention for trading a paper clip to begin with and winding up with a house at the end trading up all along the way.

The red paper clip story?
You can follow the story here: http://oneredpaperclip.blogspot.com/

Offline bwd111

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 09:47:42 AM »
Have to argree as well show sucks! Watched two shows and felt it was an hour I wont get back. Show is a joke.

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 02:27:39 AM »
I wonder how many deals they make that fall thru prior to what makes the show

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 11:44:27 AM »
I wonder how many deals they make that fall thru prior to what makes the show

I wonder that too.  But after watching last night, I think I'm going to trade a thumb tack up to a nice red Corvette! 

I must be doing something wrong........everybody wants to trade me a $200 item for my $500 item.....I better watch a few more shows!

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 02:38:39 PM »
I watched the show last night. I was not impressed, just to fake for me.

xx
Stories and Lessons Wanted

Started by bill30075

6 Replies
Last post September 05, 2012, 07:57:35 AM
by Cobia
xx
What happened to the Kings of Swag?

Started by Travis

2 Replies
Last post March 27, 2013, 05:05:24 PM
by alloro
xx
More Dope on the Kings of Swag...Beauty Pageant Hosts, and More !

Started by MovieMan

0 Replies
Last post March 20, 2013, 09:20:05 AM
by MovieMan
xx
Have shows like pawn stars/auction kings, storage wars, etc helped or hurt resal

Started by rulesforrebels

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2011, 09:59:36 PM
by jrossjr79