Storage Auctions

Can't get rid of the goods...help!

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
Re: Can't get rid of the goods...help!
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2012, 07:41:50 AM »
FWIW. the WSJ Reported retail sales have dropped in the last two months.

This recession is far from being over and maybe becase of the length of it, it is finally effecting the second hand sales market. I fear that when the second hand market gets really, really bad we will be in more trouble than we want.

...Fingers Crossed...

Thinking about your post concerning the prospect on the economy and what impact it will have on the second hand sales market I just don't think it will ever disappear for good. In the poorest countries in the world people make thier living selling at vendor markets (like our flea markets). I just think we will probably see a lot of changes in the type of buyers and thier preferences. I think it will just be a matter of paying attention to what people are buying, and what they are willing to spend. We will probably have to be real loose on what we think the value of typical household goods are and kind of go with the flow and let the "market" determine the price of things.

One thing I have learned from people who have lived in Countries with failed or failing economies is when the majority of the population gets scared about the future thay stop buying everything except for essentials; food, drinks, medicine, personal care products. But if sales are slowing at the flea market or yard sale it doesn't necessarily mean that the economy is getting worse, it could mean many people are less fearful about the future so they are going back to Wal-mart or retail stores for their shopping. I also feel that the "picker" popularity is fading so I am seeing less people looking for things they can re-sell. You all might be experiencing this too. As bad as the recession has been I still don't get the feeling that people were turned in mass to the flea markets or yard sales as cool and affordable venues for shopping, I think people have just switched from the higher end stores to Wal-mart, Target, Dollar stores. Maybe the recession wasn't (isn't)  bad enough to really push people (in large numbers) into the flea markets.

I know, a bunch of rambling, but we will just have to keep on trucking, track the trends, and do our best.  ;)

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2012, 10:03:07 AM »
Yea I see your point. I was thinking in terms of socio-economic shifts, like large numbers of people who would have been middle-class, who are now (hate to use the term) poor or working class and thus need to change their shopping habits. Maybe we are in a cycle where people don't have a lot of money to spend but by in large they have most things they need (not including food, medicine) so it will be a while before we see them move into the flea market/yard sale venue for thier traditional shopping needs.

A couple of observations: I just traveled 1600 miles round trip on vacation and it was the first time ever there was ZERO congestion anywhere along the route coming or going! I notice the local news mentions "light rush hour traffic" often now.

I was reading a business publication and one article recommended, and based on a quote and business decision from a major US company, that for business to survive in the future the must decide to either serve the rich or serve the poor. They say the middle-class is shrinking drastically and any company who caters to middle-class customers are at risk of failing.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2012, 08:23:42 AM »
@ Cobia wished I had your talent of writing.   ;)

Still with StoreMe on the slow economy everywhere. Went to the thrift the other day just checking in. She said when the little grocery store and Kangaroo's parking lots are empty she just needs to go home.

Looked around and she was right nobody in the parking lots. Bad.  Kangaroo has at least 5 to 10 cars all the time.  It was empty.

Uncle lives in town and says when there is no traffic on the major Hwy around quit-en time it is bad.

Hoping for the best for everyone to survive this current time.   Could be just people on vacation.  ;D

xx
Canned Goods

Started by Travis

6 Replies
Last post September 26, 2014, 12:09:14 PM
by rulesforrebels
xx
Where do I sell the goods I get?

Started by MovieMan

1 Replies
Last post December 10, 2012, 04:58:58 PM
by Travis
xx
Stumbled across some goods from a unit didn't even know I had?

Started by rulesforrebels

4 Replies
Last post February 25, 2011, 08:48:08 AM
by sbell111
xx
Do you think goods sold online should be taxed?

Started by Travis

6 Replies
Last post June 29, 2014, 03:34:17 PM
by rulesforrebels