Storage Auctions

Christmas shopping in your own inventory???

Re: Christmas shopping in your own inventory???
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2011, 02:04:37 AM »
I gave out quite a few gifts from my inventory this year.  Some of my friends even tell me that the best gift I could give at the Christmas party would be a gift certificate for my store or to let them come dig around in the back room where stuff gets sorted. 

But, even for as long as I've been doing this, I still have a brain fart now and again.  Like today.....I have a couple of women that work for me part time.  I got them each a $25 gift certificate to Starbucks, but I had forgot to purchase a Christmas card to put them in.

I was all stressed out because I needed a card, so I left the shop for a while today with the intention to grab lunch and get a couple of cards.  As I was sitting there eating lunch, I all of the sudden thought to myself, "what am I doing"?

I went back to the shop, pulled a box of Christmas cards that I had marked at a dollar off the shelf, filled them out, put in their Starbucks cards, and handed them out.  I was gonna drive down the road to Target or Walmart to fight the crowds to spend $6 or so on two cards when I literally have boxes of them sitting on the shelves that I have been practically giving away!

Sometimes things are just so obvious, we overlook them! 

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2011, 04:09:21 AM »

Sometimes things are just so obvious, we overlook them! 

LOL

I have been thinking what have we sold that we could have used as Christmas gifts. LOL

Funny how you look at inventory as cold hard cash. Maybe next year will be able to supply all of Christmas with inventory. LOL  :D

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • MSN Messenger - jrossmakesmoney@gmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2011, 07:54:17 PM »
When going through my lockers, all year long, I put some away for Birthdays and Christmas. Found some good things that my kids ask to have through the year. So it helps when I find them in the locker.

Cheers

Offline Millertime

• I Love Capitalism
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2011, 09:46:52 AM »
My wife collects all types of glassware. I got a beautiful brand new lidded candy dish from a unit she wanted bad. I told her I had to sell this and put a price on it. She had to look at it for 2 months until I gave it to her full of candy. Still chuckle at the look she gave me, as I was never going to sell it.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2011, 10:10:42 AM »
Millertime that is something my husband would do.

Update went off without a hitch. Everyone had no idea came from our inventory, so next year they will most likely expect it.. LOL

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2012, 06:43:42 PM »
Let's have a revival preacher! It is Christmas time so why not?

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2012, 07:00:21 PM »
Ho, Ho, Ho !

I stick by my REPLY #1 seen above on Dec 21, 2011.

Not quite a year later and this is one opinion I haven't changed in that year. One way or the other the goods
we get represent money. If an item would please someone as a gift, why not. I WILL say that if they are new in the box it's better, but anyone I give presents to knows the business I'm in so it probably wouldn't be a surprise to them if they got something "re-gifted" from a locker.  This would have been a good "bit" for Seinfeld.

Offline Leota

• View Profile
    • Donna's Resale Attic
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2012, 08:26:52 AM »
Absolutely, I even told my husband that his was coming from there and maybe if he is lucky I will "buy" him some new gloves to work in. ;-)

Offline theoddfind

• Buy big or go home!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2012, 08:21:27 AM »
Definitly, That is a win win. Saves me from having to sell an item and saves me from buying an item. Time = money, especially since i pay someone else to sell my stuff. This year I let my sisters and nieces pick jewlery from my collection, mostly sterling silver. Saved me from having to spend $150 -200.

Offline dbr831

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2012, 10:16:11 AM »
I am laughing right now about the poster that almost bought Christmas cards before remembering to just use ones he had from a storage unit. I just did the same thing except I DID go buy the stupid cards at Target and never even thought of picking out of the hundreds I have waiting to be sold. Aaarrrggghhh!

As far as gifting from stuff found in units, I didn't but would if I found something that I thought someone would like. I need to plan ahead next year and save up. My kids (adults) are among the snobby types that would not be too appreciative of storage unit gifts although they are happy to collect stuff throughout the year from the units.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2012, 11:01:38 AM »
My kids (adults) are among the snobby types that would not be too appreciative of storage unit gifts although they are happy to collect stuff throughout the year from the units.

This is a classic and deserves to be remembed next Christmas (I'll give it my best memory effort).

The "classic" modern Christmas movie is "A Christmas Story" which was released in 1983 and written and voiced by Jean Shepard who was a radio personality in New York 2 decades before that. Now  "A Christmas Story" is on Broadway, but I doubt it will run very long. The child actor who played "Ralphie" in the movie fronted the Broadway production.

Anyway, from a storage auction buyer's prospective, the quote above deserves to be remembered !

xx
Shopping for a Living

Started by Travis

2 Replies
Last post February 02, 2017, 11:01:04 AM
by Travis
xx
How to Integrate a Shopping Cart into Your Facebook Store

Started by Travis

2 Replies
Last post March 14, 2014, 09:02:03 AM
by Travis