Storage Auctions

Clues that there may be something valuable in the unit.

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
Clues that there may be something valuable in the unit.
« on: January 30, 2013, 12:41:37 PM »
The other night I was watching Storage Wars Texas and Vic said something that caught my attention. He noticed that the unit had a few different locks inside that had been cut. Obviously, the tenant had been late on payments in the past and had got current on their rent. Could this be a strong indicator that there is something valuable in the unit.

What other clues do you look for?

Re: Clues that there may be something valuable in the unit.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 01:48:13 PM »
i do a lot of my shopping in poor areas and multiple locks usually means they are recurring deadbeats

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 03:39:17 PM »
Obviously, the tenant had been late on payments in the past and had got current on their rent. This could be a strong indicator that there is something valuable in the unit.

It could also mean the tenant is a minor hoarder and just can't let go of the junk they've accumulated throughout their life.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 03:45:41 PM »
The other night I was watching Storage Wars Texas and Vic said something that caught my attention. He noticed that the unit had a few different locks inside that had been cut. Obviously, the tenant had been late on payments in the past and had got current on their rent. This could be a strong indicator that there is something valuable in the unit.

Several thoughts on this:

1) The existence of multiple cut locks INSIDE the lkr says the frm locker owner paid up
 and then got in, probably took out at least SOME valuables before putting on his second lock.

2) If there are THREE cut locks inside it means they defaulted twice and had SEVERAL opportunites to get good stuff out.

3) Sure there may be some good stuff left, but look at points 1 and 2 above and think about it. To me it’s a RED FLAG, not a suggestion of goodies left in there.

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 06:03:17 PM »
Yeah, after hearing the points all of you made...I have to agree.

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 08:28:42 AM »
I have seen as many as 5 or 6 locks cut in the same locker. Not normally a good sign my experience is most of the lockers with many cut locks have been gone through and the best stuff taken out. Not always but often.

Offline dbr831

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 09:29:30 AM »
I agree that multiple cut locks may mean owner has had ample opportunity to remove any valuables but it depends on what the contents of the unit look like. Some packed units seem like there is just no way the owner could have reached anything other than the stuff up front. On those units I would look at the multiple locks as a sign that there could be stuff they really wanted to keep. Otherwise yes I would assume the owners have taken all the goods.

Other signs I look for would be boxes that they had to pay for as opposed to produce boxes they picked up free behind the supermarket. I hate when I see the stolen white post office boxes and the flip top boxes with store names on them (although I do like to use those boxes since they are really strong and stack well when empty). I like small boxes as opposed to large boxes. Bought a unit once with about 6 really large plastic bins. Couldn't wait to get to those bin. Never saw so many stuffed animals in my life. New rule, large bins mean light weight stuff and not too much valuable light weight stuff so I avoid large bins. I look at brand names on things like vacuums and electronics. Dyson good! Dirt Devil, not so good. Clothes and shoes labels, designer brands good! Target and Walmart brands, not so good. I look at mattresses. Decent mattresses that aren't dirty are acceptable (even though they will be most likely taken to the dump anyway) and obviously filthy and shabby mattresses, bad. TV's and computers, newer good, old bad.

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 09:49:35 AM »
I have to agree with the group on this one. Multiple cut locks inside the door make me more leary about bidding to high.

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 11:35:50 AM »
I often think of that as a bad sign, the tenant falls behind pays right before unit goes to auction then takes some good stuff out of unit, same thing happens again and next thing you know its just clothes and garbage in a unit.

As for clues I like looking at magazines if they have them. One of my best unit magazines were surfing magaznies, watch collector magazines, forbes and money. all stuf having to do with expensive hobbies or a high paying career.

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 12:20:19 PM »
now that im thinking about it many of the units i see with multiple locks cut have the boxes numbered like an eviction or have boxes from difft storage companys in them like they were booted from multiple fascilities

Offline Millertime

• I Love Capitalism
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 05:58:53 PM »
What about the type of lock cut from the unit. One of the regulars I'm friends with mentioned the cheap lock on the floor of a unit I just bought and said he thought I would not do well on it. He was wrong. I have never paid much attention to the type of lock as an indicator of value. However, I do look for the lock now and at least think about it.

xx
Valuable Coins

Started by Travis

4 Replies
Last post June 12, 2013, 12:00:09 AM
by auctions4store
xx
How do you protect your valuable merchadise?

Started by Travis

0 Replies
Last post May 12, 2014, 02:39:35 PM
by Travis
xx
learned a valuable lesson today.....

Started by The Young Gun

3 Replies
Last post January 26, 2011, 10:30:38 PM
by Jasold
xx
What is the single most valuable item you've ever found