Storage Auctions

Collusion between auctioneers and their favorite buyers

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
Collusion between auctioneers and their favorite buyers
« on: May 30, 2014, 11:11:23 PM »
Do you feel like there is collusion between auctioneers and their favorite buyers in your area?

Re: Collusion between auctioneers and their favorite buyers
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 07:59:25 AM »
     I don't know if you would call it collusion, and i think most auctioneers are fairly legit. But managers on the other hand can be shmoozed. I for instance am going to an auction 2 hours early today to get a free preview before the auction starts. I also offer to buy units before they go to auction. I often get to use the facilities trash receptacles etc etc.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 11:06:50 AM »
Yeah, I agree. Getting in good with property managers can have it's benefits. One of my manager buddies let me enter a unit that was going to auction. It had three four wheelers. The two you could see from the door were being worked on and parts were everywhere, but the one you couldn't see was a large Polaris 4X4 perfectly in tact. Unfortunately, the buyer paid up last minute. 

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 05:36:18 PM »
Our local auctioneer tends to wait longer to say sold if there is a regular buyer bidding. He doesn't give the newbies as much time to decide if they are in or not. I really don't think he favors one regular over any others.   

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 08:36:35 PM »
I think one of my auctioneers tries to help me out. I notice sometimes he lets me think about my bid and gives me time bid again, other times he closes the auction out on me fast and lets the other person win. I'm thinking the units he lets me think about he knows are good and the ones he closes on me fast he knows aren't so good.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 12:48:44 AM »
I'm thinking the units he lets me think about he knows are good and the ones he closes on me fast he knows aren't so good.

This reminded me of a time an auctioneer helped me out. I was 6 months into the storage auction business and I would buy anything I could make a buck on. The biggest unit I've ever seen in my life came up. I think it was a 20X40. It had some money in it, but it also had a lot of trash. Oh, and when I say a lot of trash, I mean 4 dump runs. Auctioneer opened up the bidding. No one bid. You could hear the crickets chirping. So I said $5. More crickets chirping. The auctioneer finally leaned over and said "I'm retracting your bid, I don't want to have to ban you from future auctions because you didn't clean this out." I thought about it for a second, and he was right. I'm still thankful for his intervention to this day.

xx
Auctioneers and the established long time buyers

Started by acman

2 Replies
Last post September 21, 2011, 05:47:10 PM
by acman
xx
Collusion & Fraud and a grand down the drain?

Started by rockin the retro

53 Replies
Last post April 03, 2012, 06:20:15 PM
by che85mor
xx
Favorite TV Shows

Started by janette

9 Replies
Last post November 28, 2014, 01:31:53 PM
by Travis
xx
What's your favorite cookie?