Storage Auctions

Exercise Machines and there metal

Offline acman

• Buying lockers without paying retail, FTW!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Exercise Machines and there metal
« on: September 25, 2011, 11:51:15 PM »
So, I got a unit yesterday that had an exercise machine in it.  Machine looks like half disassembled and is missing a bolt that connect the base from the sliding area.  Machine is drawing almost no interest and I am thinking to scrap the metal and try to sell the electronics on ebay.  My question is, how much money should I expect to get out of this?  I had no camera all weekend, so I am going to have to upload from my iPhone.  Bare with me, LOL.  I just need to get out of this unit, it was a loser unit, everything besides the bar is broken.  I amhoping to turn a small profit, but for this crap I'd be happy to break even.

Offline acman

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Exercise Machines and there metal
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 12:06:48 AM »

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 01:42:09 AM »
Youd make more just putting a few bucks into to get it working

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 06:26:19 AM »
Personally, I dont think I'd bother. The few exercise machines I've run across, ones that had no broken parts, I've had to sell dirt cheap in yard sales to move them. People just dont exercise like they used to.  :P

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 07:47:34 AM »
Scrap price is really going to depend on the metal and your location.  If you have a scrap yard nearby call and ask them what they pay for alum, copper, etc.  I have no idea what most weight type benches and stuff are made of.  I would suspect steel or something but sorry not much help.  If you have the name / model of the machine I'll try and figure it out.

Offline Millertime

• I Love Capitalism
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 08:20:32 AM »
Not sure where you are acman, but I'm getting 10 cents/lb for steel, 65 cents/lb for aluminum in TN. Get a magnet and estimate what you will get. I'd probably scrap it just to be done with it cause it may be hard to find a buyer plus repair time/cost and hauling it around.

Offline acman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 08:59:50 AM »
Not sure where you are acman, but I'm getting 10 cents/lb for steel, 65 cents/lb for aluminum in TN. Get a magnet and estimate what you will get. I'd probably scrap it just to be done with it cause it may be hard to find a buyer plus repair time/cost and hauling it around.

Hence the reason I have already said F it, I'll just scrap it.  Luckily for me the scrap yard by me is a mole away from my house and about 4 from my winning locker.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 09:40:44 AM »
Luckily for me the scrap yard by me is a mole away from my house and about 4 from my winning locker.

Too funny !  At first I thought this was a Michigan expression until I thought about the position of the letters "o" and "i" on the keyboard. There is a definite difference between being 1 "mole" and 4 "moles" way from something !

Offline Bandit

• View Profile
    • Storage Battles
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 12:43:02 AM »
  The last one I had , after 6 mo.  , I gave it to a guy in the shop next to mine , and it was heavy .
  On the local freecycle there is one now that cost around $1000. and was only used a couple of times , asked the wife and daughter  if they wanted to go for it , I won't post there answer , LOL    just too damn awkward and heavy too move , even for free .
  We were at an auction a couple of years ago with a weight bench and an all around  machine ? in it and auctioner tried to get $ 5.00 for it with offering up the dumpster for the rest of the crap , but still no takers .  It looked like this
dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4295058&cp=4406646.4413986.4417718

Bandit

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 07:39:41 AM »
The first unit I bought had a NordicTrac Pro in it. When I looked it up and found it sold for $1000 new I almost had a heart attack! I thought I would get at least $500 for it. After holding it for 6 months and trying to sell it in the classifieds, Craigslist, & Ebay; I finally sold it for $20! I have had a couple of other pieces, Ab Lounge, Exerglider? That did not sell and scraped them for the metal. Needless ot say, when I see excersie equipment in a unit I consider it a wash.

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 07:44:41 AM »
I must be in a good area for weights and weight benchs as I have always done really well with them. Sold one large multi station machine for $300.00 and never had to move it out of the unit. (I rented the unti for a month as it was a 10x30 packed).

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 08:43:28 AM »
I look at exercise equipment as scrap metal.  I alrady have a treadmill and one of those step cycle things that I can't get rid of.  The wife wanted them both and then never uses them........

Offline acman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 09:00:54 AM »
I look at exercise equipment as scrap metal.  I alrady have a treadmill and one of those step cycle things that I can't get rid of.  The wife wanted them both and then never uses them........

I think selling exercise machines is like buying storage units, sometimes you have good stuff but no body wants it, even though it's in great condition. Having said that I just sold an exercise bike for 170, and only had to come down $30 from my asking price, which was retail for a used airdyne bike.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
Re: Exercise Machines and.....THEIR..... metal
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 10:15:03 AM »
Well, I don't go out of my way to buy them, that's for sure, but if I get a lkr with something in it, I will sometimes make an effort to sell it on Clist, but often I pawn them off on another seller at a STEEP discount (or free) just so I won't have to move them.

Weight benches and sets are easier to move and if you sell them at half (or less) their retail value they go OK.

Treadmills, multiple band machines, etc.....they bring out new models all the time, so maybe an older model could be dumped on someone who wants a name brand for cheap.

I have yet to scrap one.

Offline acman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2011, 02:18:56 PM »
Scrapped it for $21 bucks. Could have been better but could have been worse.

xx
Exercise Equipment

Started by MovieMan

5 Replies
Last post January 29, 2013, 12:32:06 PM
by craiglstauction
xx
What are the machines in this locker?

Started by HomeGrownPromos

3 Replies
Last post December 05, 2013, 02:07:52 PM
by HomeGrownPromos