Storage Auctions

Finding jewelry in a unit

Finding jewelry in a unit
« on: February 27, 2012, 04:02:31 PM »
When you find jewelry (rings, necklaces, etc.), is it better to sell the jewelry as a complete item or separate the gems from the metal and sell by weight? I guess it all comes down to the quality. But what would you do with a 10K or 14K ring with zirconia on it? Or 10K or 14K ring with a precious stone on it? Test it and describe it on eBay or get the weight in gold somewhere?

Re: Finding jewelry in a unit
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 02:03:18 AM »
I doubt ull find many 10k rings with a cubic zerconia in it.

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 07:49:06 AM »
Some of the guys I know who are serious full timers will pop the gems out of the rings, bracelets, ear rings, etc. and collect them intil they have a big enough lot to sell to a jewelry wholesaler. These are guys that are getting several units a week and probably get hundreds of real pieces of jewelry a year so it's worth it for them to seperate the gold/silver from the gems. For most of us who only get a handful of real jewelry a year, it may be best to scrap the jewelry with the gems included, or keep it, or find friends and family to gift it or sell it to. If you are buying a lot of units, and finding a lot of jewelry you should probably go ahead and buy a gold & silver test kit. Kits are available for testing platinum and diamonds as well. I don't know about testing for other gem stones like rubies, sapphires, emeralds, etc.

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 08:07:22 AM »
I just recently found my 1st gold ring.  It is only a 10k ring with little spec diamonds in it.  What I plan to do is take it to my local jewelry place to get a free verbal appraisal and clean.  Then I'll list it up on ebay for sale.  Should be able to get more for it as a cheap ring for a gf then in scrap value.  IMO scrap is the last option.

Offline Alias

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 08:05:56 PM »
Most everything I've got I've sold intact or scrap with stones in.
Most that had real diamonds, the diamonds were very low grade.
Could do the above and save them up but I don't get enough to make it worth my time.

And I've gotten a lot of pieces that are 10-18k gold with synthetic diamonds.
Gem tester is still on my to-get list.

Offline bwd111

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 09:55:08 AM »
Most everything I've got I've sold intact or scrap with stones in.
Most that had real diamonds, the diamonds were very low grade.
Could do the above and save them up but I don't get enough to make it worth my time.

And I've gotten a lot of pieces that are 10-18k gold with synthetic diamonds.
Gem tester is still on my to-get list.
Why buy a tester when you can get it tested for free at any pawnshop or jewel store?

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 10:51:27 AM »
^word

What i do reccomend getting is the cheap magnets they use to see if something is silver or metal, and a magnifying glass

Offline Alias

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 12:33:03 PM »
Why buy a tester when you can get it tested for free at any pawnshop or jewel store?

Cause that's another trip. More of my time and a waste of their time. I'm only going to go to people I trust. That means I'm also going to be doing business with them. Not going to keep going to use their expertise and equipment and time for free.

I separate out all junk or known metals/stones and only bring in pieces I'm willing to sell if they give a good offer.

Plus you look like a fool if you constantly bring in junk. Some will take this as you know nothing and when you have a good piece might way low ball you.

Go in with some knowledge.

xx
Jewelry

Started by Travis

9 Replies
Last post December 02, 2013, 01:47:54 PM
by bwd111
xx
Selling jewelry tip

Started by Alias

2 Replies
Last post January 13, 2012, 02:57:19 PM