Storage Auctions

First Trip Out Today

First Trip Out Today
« on: August 06, 2013, 04:20:54 PM »
My son and I made our first trip out today.  An area storage that had 4 units for sale.

I went with the intent of buying one if it interested me and could buy it.

1st one - 20 x 30 - Mgr said had been there since 2002.  Looked more like 1982 and not touched since.  Avocado Green Fridge and Stove.  Busted up furniture, wood panneling, NOTHING interesting to me.

Told my boy we weren't interested even at $20.

Auctioneer tried to open bid at $600.
$500, $400 .... Some guy yelled   "2"
Well, I thought the auctioneer was kidding when he said "OK, $200.00!"
I REALLY thought the guy meant $2.00.

Nope went for $360    :-\

#2 - a little tiny one, w/ OLD microwave, Small cheap kitchen table, etc. - $360

#3 - HUGE locker - but not much in it - Mgr said it was a "Repair Man's Locker"  very few tools, just the broken down, unfinished projects from the 'repair man' and an older water heater.  $450

#4   12x16 - they opened the doors - can't even remember what was in it - when they got a $200 bid, we and most everybody headed for their cars.  Heard it end at $360.

All in all, not impressed.  Will try again.

:-

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
Re: First Trip Out Today
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 07:27:40 PM »
That's how it goes sometimes.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 08:12:36 PM »
That's how it goes sometimes.

More often than not as all newbies learn sooner or later; of course the larger the population base, the better the chances for running into good ones; unfortunately not everyone lives in Dalls/Ft Worth, Los Angeles or New York City.

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 08:45:31 PM »
One of my biggest mistakes breaking into the business was that I was looking for things that were interesting to me. Granted, we all want to sell the unique items, or something that we're highly knowledgeable on, but the thing I focus on now is, how much money can I make off this stuff? I put a number on each unit. If I think I can make $400, my top number is $200.

I no longer look at the items and fall in love. It's all just a bunch of stuff with dollar signs.

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 07:44:14 AM »
One of my biggest mistakes breaking into the business was that I was looking for things that were interesting to me. Granted, we all want to sell the unique items, or something that we're highly knowledgeable on, but the thing I focus on now is, how much money can I make off this stuff? I put a number on each unit. If I think I can make $400, my top number is $200.

I no longer look at the items and fall in love. It's all just a bunch of stuff with dollar signs.
Absolutely agree about - I don't have to like it to sell it.  We have a busy little Country Store - If it were stocked with just stuff I liked - we would be closed long ago!

I guess my comment would have made more sense, if I said, I didn't see anything I would be comfortable knowing would sell for more than a total of $200-$300 w/ a LOT of work to get there.

Not going to give it up - gonna see a few more.

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 01:51:44 PM »
Yeah theres some weird days where everything goes for way too much.  Other times its all reasonable. 

And some folks see value where you dont, they may have different connections then you.  Everyone has a specific skill set I've found.  Some folks recognize valuable clothing, some antiques, I know electronics pretty well, my wife recognizes just weird off the wall stuff that I still have no idea how she knows some of that.  She feels the same way about me so together we do OK.

xx
When I said we're only making one trip, I meant it!

Started by Travis

0 Replies
Last post June 16, 2015, 03:55:16 PM
by Travis
xx
How to get paid for the dump trip

Started by Mr Andersen

3 Replies
Last post April 21, 2011, 09:08:13 PM
by Drew
xx
got a 5 x 10 today and got.....