Storage Auctions

got a biggie today.

Re: got a biggie today.
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2011, 11:23:41 AM »
People sale or attempt to sale matresses all the time in GA.  Don't know of any law that would prevent it.  Or if there is I don't know anyone that would enforce it.  Will have to ask one of my wife's deputies.

I think we see matresses in units so much as people don't know what the heck to do with them when they get a new or upgraded one.  They don't want to pay the dump fee so they "store it".

Only time I can really see "trash" going in a unit is someone was in a hurry to get out of an eviction or such and just dumped everything in the locker.  But that is just a guess.

I know the property I purchased at auction had a ton of trash.  The guy didn't have trash service.  So he burned his trash.  But he also kept bottles, soup cans, drink jugs, etc. and stored them in the sheds.  I had over 3 TONs of trash when I first purchased the place and still working to get rid of stuff.  So you just never know.  Of course he was a "handy man" and built the sheds/barn, bird houses, etc. out of scrap lumber and such so I'm thankfull.

Offline Drew

• Admin
    • View Profile
    • Online Storage Auctions
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2011, 11:28:15 AM »
Nice find!

Offline otbg

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2011, 12:39:52 PM »
Still have not had a lot of time to go through with a fine tooth comb yet. managed to get about half of the t-shirts back to me my place. I think my initial estimate was low, I am thinking there are about 750+ shirts. I should be able to do a quick sale to a screen printer for 1-2 bucks each depending on how many they want. Did make a few interesting discoveries though. I found this:
(http://mkdigitaldirect.com/products/lighting-systems/mk-gem-ebox.html) brand new in box with receipt as well as a bunch of new empty jewelery boxes. hopefully the jewelery they were photographing and boxing is in here. :) Also on the receipt was a $520 canon digital camera. I would love to find that as well.

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • MSN Messenger - jrossmakesmoney@gmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2011, 01:06:11 PM »
Nice, keep us updated on what else you find. I think there is a 60% chance that the jewelry will be in there. 75% chance the camera. Reason I have it lower for the jewelry is because the jewelry in the photos could of been from a client of theirs.

Offline Bandit

• View Profile
    • Storage Battles
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2011, 08:07:33 AM »
  Nice Find , I love Big Lockers , but My helpers ( Wife and Daughter  -Not So Mucl  ;D  )                             It is Illegal to sell a used mattress in Mass. , but there is a thriving and healthy mattress black market on Craigs List
   http://www
Bandit.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXV/Chapter94/Section273

Offline otbg

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2011, 08:22:03 AM »
No "big treasures" but easily 3500-4k worth of sellable stuff. I took the unopened fan back to Home Depot and got a $250.00 store credit. I have a buyer lined up for the shirts and will get $750.00. I have some misc. office furniture sold for $400. about $200-300 in scrap metal. About another $500 in furniture i still need to get out. once I finish getting everything i want out, I have a guy who will come in and buy out everything else and clean it out for me. (He deals with all the small flea market items I don't have time to deal with... and he will probably make a killing) All in all, very happy with the unit.

One weird thing though, I have never found a unit that has so many VHS tapes (hundreds and hundreds) I have a stack of boxes 8' tall...but have not found a single dvd.

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2011, 09:07:55 AM »
No "big treasures" but easily 3500-4k worth of sellable stuff. I took the unopened fan back to Home Depot and got a $250.00 store credit. I have a buyer lined up for the shirts and will get $750.00. I have some misc. office furniture sold for $400. about $200-300 in scrap metal. About another $500 in furniture i still need to get out. once I finish getting everything i want out, I have a guy who will come in and buy out everything else and clean it out for me. (He deals with all the small flea market items I don't have time to deal with... and he will probably make a killing) All in all, very happy with the unit.

One weird thing though, I have never found a unit that has so many VHS tapes (hundreds and hundreds) I have a stack of boxes 8' tall...but have not found a single dvd.

While most won't call that a 'home run', it's definitely an in the park triple, as far as I'm concerned.  Nice turn over.  That many VHS tapes are surprising.  A quick perusal of Ebay shows that, unless it's an old black and white, they're pretty much dumpster fodder as far as I can see.

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2011, 11:39:04 AM »
Pretty much the only VHS tapes I keep at all are Disney movies.......I throw them in a big box at  garage sales or the flea market, and I'll typically write something on the box like "$1 each or $20 for the full box", and what usually happens is I sell a bunch for a dollar and then make somebody a deal on the rest of the box to get them gone. 

I did have a thrift store guy buying VHS that were factory recorded with the sleeve for 5 for a buck,  but he's not even interested anymore, so most of them go to Goodwill now.  Any that are home recorded just go to the dump.

Offline otbg

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2011, 01:23:22 PM »
I know the vhs are useless. I ended up giving a bunch of kids tapes to the guy in the next  locker (he runs a body shop out of it) He said his kids will watch them. I will leave the rest for the flea market guy who comes in when I am done and cleans out the place.

Offline ChefJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2011, 01:52:09 PM »
While most won't call that a 'home run', it's definitely an in the park triple, as far as I'm concerned.  Nice turn over.  That many VHS tapes are surprising.  A quick perusal of Ebay shows that, unless it's an old black and white, they're pretty much dumpster fodder as far as I can see.
3500-4000 is a homerun in my eyes.

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2011, 01:59:31 PM »
3500-4000 is a homerun in my eyes.

Oh, I agree.  he made his money back by a factor of ten.  It doesn't get much better than that.

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2011, 06:42:41 PM »
no doubt a home run in my opinion...sad thing about it here is that the same locker would go for $1200+!!! I'm still waiting for a really good one and when I do, I'll post it here!

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • MSN Messenger - jrossmakesmoney@gmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2011, 08:27:33 PM »
I would take the VHS, just dont have the money right now, and it depends on quality as well as what they are. Once I get my computer fixed again, I will be able to import the video from VHS and digitize them to put on DVD.

xx
got a 5 x 10 today and got.....

Started by lithiar

4 Replies
Last post October 31, 2011, 06:44:04 PM
by LoneStarAds.US
xx
Got One Today

Started by Bandit

3 Replies
Last post July 27, 2011, 09:23:39 PM
by Bandit