Storage Auctions

Had Some Downtime!

Had Some Downtime!
« on: June 01, 2012, 11:09:48 AM »
I have not been too active lately......

I have hardly any inventory so have been using the time to catch up on yardwork and some "me" time. I went to Los Angeles last week-end for a dog show and visited with a high school friend that I have not seen in several years. We stopped by Redlands Thrift - supposed to be the largest thrift store in California. It was a little overwhelming...they have an amazing array of items.I had also planned to stop in at Jarrod and Brandy's (SW) shop on the way home just to say I did but it was hot and I had two dogs I managed to get talked into transporting for a rescue so I just stayed on the freeway.

I have plans to hit an auction tomorrow with 13 units up...hopefully the crowds will be thin and I can snag one or two. Then back down to LAX in the late afternoon to pick up the oldest daughter who is flying in for her sisters graduation next week.

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
Re: Had Some Downtime!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 07:19:11 PM »
Can you explain to me the fascination with dog shows?
I know a bunch of people that are into them. I just dont get it.

If that's your thing, cool.  I like horses. People don't understand why I go to the track and don't bet.
I was raised around horses and everyone had some interest at the track.
 I know the trainging and skill and all that goes into it.  I learned to ride on retired race horses cause my neighbor boarded them. 

I see the training side of dogs. Other neighbor trained police dogs so I know the work....
But raceing is exciting.  Dog shows.....um.....kinda boring.   

And what's with grab'n the dogs...ah....you know....?

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 07:47:04 PM »
It's a competetion, that's why.  Myself I love dogs but have been to 1 local "dog show" with my dalmation puppy when I was a teen.

Glad to see ya back bulldogmom.  Hope you do well at the auction.  Things have been slow for me.  Glad the yard sale season got here about the time units started to dry up like the water in the lakes and ponds.

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 09:43:39 PM »
Well, I don't understand horse show either.  To each their own  :)

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 11:01:50 PM »
We Drag race. Everyone has to have something to take their mind off of the daily grind.  ;)

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 12:04:11 AM »
Alias....LOL! Well, since you asked...... It all started back in 1973 when I bought first hubby a Lab as a hunting partner. We spent months training him and in the process I got hooked on obedience trials...then tracking....then worked for a kennel that trained dogs for law enforcement. Somewhere in all that I managed to collect quite a few Labradors and Flat-Coated retrievers, finished several AKC championships while always using our our home-bred show quality dogs to hunt over.

The shows are just like any other hobby - you develope friends within a common activity.

If you are asking why the judge always handles the "buddies"....the boys have got to have two of 'em or it is a DQ! ;)

Now I have a few Olde English Bulldogges that I attempt to do agility with. The word here is attempt.....I mainly just attend shows now to keep in contact with friends.