Storage Auctions

Has anybody tried to sell items at auction.

Has anybody tried to sell items at auction.
« on: June 20, 2011, 08:07:50 PM »
I was going through some of treasures that I have been keeping to long and decided to try them at auction.

Figured some money is better than none and it cleared up some room.

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • MSN Messenger - jrossmakesmoney@gmail.com
    • View Profile
Re: Has anybody tried to sell items at auction.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 11:52:19 PM »
Its a good way to get rid of collectibles, especially the rare odd ball collectibles. but seller beware, it will all depend if there is a crowd out there at the auction that is interested in your collectibles.

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 12:40:51 AM »
Don't forget the auctioneer gets a hefty cut of any sale.  I took a bunch of stuff up to one of our local auctioneers that I use from time to time, and out of a little over 5K in sales, I pocketed $3300. 

Having said that, it's a great way to get rid of some unique items and clear out some room quickly.  Some items sold for what I thought was way too little, and others went for way more than I expected.  I guess it kind of equals out in the end, but you better be mentally prepared to accept whatever you get......once your stuff is sold, it's gone, and if you have "sellers remorse" for what you got for it, too bad!

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 08:26:04 AM »
If you had over 5K in sales and you only got 3300 from it, then i would go to another auction house. They are then charging you way over 30% and thats a lot. The normal fee is 25% some charge you 30% but thats max. Over 30% is not worth it.

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 09:56:52 AM »
25 to 30% is normal and I've seen as low as 20%. But then, Gallery 63 thats on TV charges 35 I think. But one thing to do when taking items to auction is get yourself into the mindset that all of your stuff will only sell for half of what you think it should. If you do that then there is no sellers remorse or regret and if items sell for more than that then you get the gravy good feeling....LOL

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 11:27:51 AM »
They are charging 30%, and up here in the Seattle area, 30% is pretty standard for an auction house. 

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 10:11:07 PM »
Its 30% as the norm here in san antonio

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 11:17:20 PM »
With the 30% and the 10% buyers premium we are in the wrong business.

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 12:37:36 AM »
With the 30% and the 10% buyers premium we are in the wrong business.

I have seen some of the vets migrate over to getting their auctioneer licenses and start an auction house. Although there is one, which I wont mention names, screws everyone over. People that sell to him, people that do I guess would be a consignment with him to enter their items into his auction, he has screwed his customers that come out to his auctions, and he has even screwed his partners.

Low balls the hell out of people. My example is he came over to see my stuff, picked out these items:
Mascot Travelers Trunk: Restored value would be $400, which it needed to be restored. I was asking $50. (Later on I got my $50 for it)

A Vintage tin cookie can from asia, asking $5

And a solid Brass Trashcan that was from the 50s, worth was about $40, was asking for $15.

So my asking price for it all would be $70, which I know he could of profit a good amount on the $70 alone, but he wanted all of it for less than $40. Also heard from another vet that he had swindled 2 antique tables from 2 old women, probable in their 80s. He offered them $25 to take both of them. The combination of these tables was in the value of $900, give or take. Not to mention he screwed one of the Vets as a partner, screwed him big time out of $5,000.

This guy has become someone I tend to avoid. At all cost.

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 10:57:38 PM »
It would be ideal!!Have your license so you can sell the stuff you get at the storage auctions.

xx
Why do big items sell faster then small items, plus my 2 units recap.

Started by acman

9 Replies
Last post December 12, 2011, 02:03:40 PM
by BigBizzz
xx
Which items sell better during income tax season?

Started by Travis

5 Replies
Last post June 11, 2017, 08:50:25 PM
by Cobia
xx
What items sell best at your flea market?

Started by Travis

2 Replies
Last post August 20, 2014, 12:02:50 PM
by parksleyman
xx
Do you sell small dollar items on craigslist?

Started by rulesforrebels

5 Replies
Last post March 21, 2011, 01:52:12 AM
by greenacarina