Storage Auctions

High end merchandise - does it take longer for you to sell?

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
High end merchandise - does it take longer for you to sell?
« on: March 03, 2013, 10:14:22 AM »
In my experience, high end furniture and appliances take much longer to sell than lower end stuff. Anyone else have better luck with high end merchandise?

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
Re: High end merchandise - does it take longer for you to sell?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 05:16:44 PM »
In my experience, high end furniture and appliances take much longer to sell than lower end stuff. Anyone else have better luck with high end merchandise?

Yes, takes much longer to sell, especially if you are trying to get reasonably close to what it is worth, & half the time it sells to out-of-town customers. Now if you let some other "picker" low ball you, you can sell it quicker, but why let someone esle get all the profit when you put in all the work?

Now when you say appliances you mean "high-end" appliances as well? Otherwise mid level & cheap appliances sell pretty quick for me.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 06:04:35 PM »
Now when you say appliances you mean "high-end" appliances as well? Otherwise mid level & cheap appliances sell pretty quick for me.

Same here, average to low end appliances, priced right, sell the same day I post them. I've had this high end bed and night stands listed for 10 days now. Only one call from a low baller. I'm just going to let them sit until they sell for what I'm asking. The stuff is just too nice to sell it for less than what it's worth. (Look at the detail in the wood) I might negotiate a little if someone makes a reasonable offer. I don't really need the money but the stuff is taking up a lot of space so I want it gone asap.

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 10:48:36 PM »
That's really nice! The problem I have with high end is those that can afford high end, don't buy used. So I have to sell high end at a mid level price for those who want high end but can't quite afford it. If I get my hands on any more high end stuff, which is bound to happen, I'll throw it up on craigslist through the weekend then deliver it to a local furniture consignment store. They sell mid to high end, have a huge space for display and regular customers. I lose some profit, but it frees up space in my storage, the furniture will get some visibility and their dedicated sales staff will give the big sales pitch for me.

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 06:36:51 AM »
I have yet to get anything high-end as far as furniture / appliances go.  I suspect if I do and they are nice my wife will claim the items as "wife dividends" and they will be in my house.  I know that is what has happened to a few items my buddy has found.  The stuff ends up in their house and the old house stuff sold.

In general most of our inventory and sales are in the low to mid range.  Most items in the store are $150 and under.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 09:49:24 AM »
I have yet to get anything high-end as far as furniture / appliances go.  I suspect if I do and they are nice my wife will claim the items as "wife dividends" and they will be in my house. 

I know what you mean. This furniture has so much detail, I would love to keep it. If only the dresser and chest were there. I'm looking for a king size bed so if this thing doesn't sell soon, I might just have someone refinish it in an espresso colored stain to match my other bedroom furniture.

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 10:58:17 AM »
Travis, Unless you have a high-end store or a large following of wealthy friends/customers (who buy used) it's going to take a while to sell. Typically high-end furniture takes me 2 to 3 months to sell.

I know there is desire to free up space so you can buy more storage units/inventory but think about this.

What percentage of units do you buy that have high-end furniture compared to mid-level & low-end furniture?

Suppose the furniture you are selling has a fair market value used of $1200. Now you could drop your price to some rediculous number, say $600 or $400 and get it sold in a week so then you have space to buy more storage units. But what if the furniture you get from the new units is only worth $25-$150?

Is it really worth while to take a $600-$800 haircut just to make room to sell $150-$300 worth of marginal furniture? Don't give away the good stuff just so you can go out and chase the average stuff.

It can be stressful watching that furniture sit week after week but when that right customer comes along and gives you your asking price or 90% of asking price it sure feels good!

xx
Do you sell merchandise without testing it?

Started by Travis

3 Replies
Last post October 14, 2014, 11:51:32 AM
by Travis
xx
Airlines have a good source of merchandise and they sell it here !

Started by MovieMan

1 Replies
Last post April 18, 2011, 11:34:38 AM
by Mr Andersen
xx
No Longer in the Shadows

Started by MatchesMalone

4 Replies
Last post November 08, 2011, 12:57:42 PM
by MatchesMalone
xx
No longer a lkr Virgin