Storage Auctions

How many loads to the dump do you normally have?

Offline mj74

How many loads to the dump do you normally have?
« on: September 26, 2011, 08:16:38 PM »
My Mom,and her boyfriend got a 10 X 20 unit last week for $20. So far they have paid almost $200 in dump fees. The unit odviously belonged to pot heads.

Luckily they have found a few treasures that is going to help get the cost of the dump fees back,and then some.
Clear in the back was a Singer sewing machine that is in a wooden case,in very good condition.

There is also a stereo unit that runs on electrical tubes,and there is also a tv or radio that also runs on electrical tubes.

So how much do you usually spend in dump fees?

Offline acman

• Buying lockers without paying retail, FTW!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: How many loads to the dump do you normally have?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 10:04:02 PM »
2 units so far, and no dump runs.  I just set out my stuff for normal trash day pickup.  I'm not going to stop doing this until someone tells me to stop.  I also have a free dump spot, so anything i get pulls in straight profit.

Offline hibid

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 06:54:08 PM »
6 dump trips on first unit, but i dump for free in my city.

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 09:50:53 PM »
1st unit - 1 bag that went into my trash container (5x5)
2nd unit - really none - was mostly furniture, returned paperwork, maybe 1/2 a bag (10x20)
3rd unit - a bag - semi-emtpy 10-20.  Kept tv, microwave, etc. for scrap breakdown
4th unit - 4 bags and still counting.  Ton of trash and cloths.  Junk cloths will go to an elderly lady that will pull the buttons, zippers, other stuff from the jeans and such then either burn or who knows.

I try to fit everything into my trash container or parents container so don't have to do a dump run.  Those fee's will eat into any profits quick.

Offline Bandit

• View Profile
    • Storage Battles
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 11:54:43 PM »
   The three 10 X 30 foot lockers were good for 6 runs with all the bags of crap clothes , TV Consoles ,        Fall Apart Furniture , sofas , mattress and box springs .                                                   I use to rent a shop in a contractors yard that had two dumpster rental companies park and store there , the day they moved in , the owner walked over and said ,       "  any time there is a dumpster with stuff in it , feel free to add to it , just don't dump in an empty one , it gets real embarrassing when it gets delivered "                             They use to drop 1/2 loads and make up a full dumpster with a loader .
  Since We moved , it cost us a minimum of $ 90. plus Mattress and box springs $ 50. extra for each one .
  We are very selective in our bids now .
We do have a cheaper place , put it is a drive , and only worth it if I use our 18 ft cam superline car trailer and really load it up .
 Bandit

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 12:43:34 PM »
I rarely get by with less then one dump run per unit. On big units (over 5X10)I always figure a minimum $100 dump fee. On small units at least $20 often more. Our minumim dump fee is now $17.25 for up to 320 punds. My record load was 1200 pounds cost just shy of $100 but you have to get rid of the junk somehow or you will be buried in it. I think the month of Sept I had about $150 in dump fees on about 3000 pounds that was about 6 or 7 runs to the dump. Pressboard furniture is the worst worthless stuff and heavy. I try to recyle magazines if there are very many of them they are very heavy I have found like 500 pounds in one unit before.

Offline otbg

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 06:53:31 PM »
I rarely get by with less then one dump run per unit. On big units (over 5X10)I always figure a minimum $100 dump fee. On small units at least $20 often more. Our minumim dump fee is now $17.25 for up to 320 punds. My record load was 1200 pounds cost just shy of $100 but you have to get rid of the junk somehow or you will be buried in it. I think the month of Sept I had about $150 in dump fees on about 3000 pounds that was about 6 or 7 runs to the dump. Pressboard furniture is the worst worthless stuff and heavy. I try to recyle magazines if there are very many of them they are very heavy I have found like 500 pounds in one unit before.

WOW! your dump fees are high. I can take a truckload (Dodge Dakota) for $6.00/trip. Most runs I have ever made for 1 unit was 4.

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 11:40:27 PM »
I just made a dump run today that was the culmination of three separate lockers.  It filled my trailer front to back all the way to the ceiling.  I figured it was gonna be a $150 load, but it ended up being ONLY $130!  Among the items I threw away were a couch, loveseat, and three upholstered chairs.  I also busted up a couple of particle board computer desks.  They were in bad condition, wasn't even gonna get someone to take these for free.  I HATE dump runs!

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 11:20:33 AM »
I just made my year end cleanout dump run. 3320 lbs of furniture to the dump. Don't see that on the TV shows!

Offline acman

• Buying lockers without paying retail, FTW!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 12:06:01 PM »
I just made my year end cleanout dump run. 3320 lbs of furniture to the dump. Don't see that on the TV shows!

Begin sarcasm
because according to people on the shows those are hundred dollars here $20 there they can make money on everything. Hell I'm sure good ole Dave could sell you a piece of $hit and call it artwork, because he's the mogul and he knows more then you about everything.
End sarcasm

Offline Alias

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 01:11:26 PM »
As far as fee's are concerned I've found it pays to shop around. I live with in easy distance to five municipalities transfer station.

Depends on what I'm dumping and how much. For example, one has a flat rate (filled car) of $30/unlimited weight. But by the ton is $140. Other is flat rate of $20 but only up to 250lbs.
One takes appliances for $30, other $20. Tires for $30 for up to four, other $10ea.

Saves a lot by first checking on rate fee's at various stations.

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 04:41:58 PM »
Usually 1 or 2.There are exceptions.If you asked my wife she would most of it should go to the dump.

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 06:06:46 PM »
Wow~you guys pay a ton (pun intended) for dump runs!  We pay $15 per truck/trailer load as long as the load isn't over 1 ton.  We've yet to get that much trash.....knocking on wood.....not particle board~ :D

Our last 2 units we'll have one solid run to the dump for all the broken down furniture and the oook (that's my term for yucky stuff) from the icky locker.

All told.....10 units and maybe $75 total on dump fees~

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 07:21:14 PM »
Well I'm about to do a dump run and will have 1 more.  Spent the last few nice days this week cleaning out the sheds, taking stuff to Goodwill, and loading my trailer of trash.  Is $20 per trailer or truck load.  I use my trailer as can get a bunch more stuff then in my truck.

Got 3 matresses in today's unit so going to try and fit them on this trash run.  If not it will be a second run to the dump for me.

Offline Bandit

• View Profile
    • Storage Battles
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 02:14:28 AM »
  3 mattress's would cost Me $ 150. to dump " Locally "

xx
Dump run sells for $450

Started by lordbp

1 Replies
Last post March 22, 2011, 10:27:50 AM
by Ironman
xx
Getting the most out of your dump runs

Started by Travis

10 Replies