Storage Auctions

How many loads to the dump do you normally have?

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
Re: How many loads to the dump do you normally have?
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 07:43:00 AM »
  3 mattress's would cost Me $ 150. to dump " Locally "

If I remember correctly you're somewhere in the northwest, and some months ago some new buyer was complaining she couldn't get rid of mattresses and I think she was in the same area.

SO, my question is....

...given those high costs for disposing of mattresses, what do people in your area do with them?  I guess if one lived in a rural area they could be burned or buried on private property, but for those who can't do that, what do they do...abandon them along country roads ?

Just curious as they go straight to the county dump in my area and are not extra cost, but in some metro areas in California they are billed at extra prices when taken to dumps.

Offline acman

• Buying lockers without paying retail, FTW!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 10:43:46 AM »
If I remember correctly you're somewhere in the northwest, and some months ago some new buyer was complaining she couldn't get rid of mattresses and I think she was in the same area.

SO, my question is....

...given those high costs for disposing of mattresses, what do people in your area do with them?  I guess if one lived in a rural area they could be burned or buried on private property, but for those who can't do that, what do they do...abandon them along country roads ?

Just curious as they go straight to the county dump in my area and are not extra cost, but in some metro areas in California they are billed at extra prices when taken to dumps.
I'd imagine if people don't dump on roadsides and such they illegally dump in big apartment places where the extra junk won't be noticed.  Why do I say this, see it all  the time at the apartment complex I work at.

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 11:58:45 AM »
Ouch and I thought my fee's were bad enough.  Of course I think mine are the highest for this area.  But by the time I went to the next county landfill the gas would put it on par or over the $20 flat fee.

So what do you do with them?  Considering 50-75% of all units has one or the other, or multiple beds in them?

Offline acman

• Buying lockers without paying retail, FTW!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 04:48:54 PM »
I stay away from the ones that have obvious signs of black mold and rips and tears.  I actually am lucky that because times are so hard, mission houses are buying beds as long as they aren't bad.  I'd say I have passed up on the winning bid T least 5 times because of mattresses or mattress volume.

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, 04:55:55 PM »
Would it be possible to break down a mattress? I wonder how much effort it would take and if it would be worth it?

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2012, 05:09:57 PM »
Would it be possible to break down a mattress? I wonder how much effort it would take and if it would be worth it?

You have posed three questions and these are my three answers; others will provide their answers too.

1) yes
2) a lot
3) no

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2012, 07:02:10 PM »
You can break them down and scrap the metal.  I just don't do it as the time/effort vs reward is not great.  Would just sell at shred price I think which is $.1250 a lb currently in my market.

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2012, 08:45:08 PM »
We can take trailer after trailer here and Dump for FREE as long as we are a city resident.

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2012, 07:28:08 PM »
Second dump run of the year, but first with contents from units bought this year. 2200 lbs.

And still no TV cameras following the action! I don't get it?

I think I've developed a new sport/TV show based on the dump run.

PMTL Professional Mattress Tossing League

You know you have been doing storage auctions too long when you can throw a king size mattress by yourself! Or a ton of various size mattresses by yourself.

xx
Dump run sells for $450

Started by lordbp

1 Replies
Last post March 22, 2011, 10:27:50 AM
by Ironman
xx
Getting the most out of your dump runs

Started by Travis

10 Replies
Last post February 14, 2014, 10:59:37 AM
by HomeGrownPromos