Storage Auctions

I have a question & I would appreciate your feedback.

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
I have a question & I would appreciate your feedback.
« on: March 12, 2011, 08:11:28 AM »
Hypothetical question: Suppose there was a storage auction information service in your area which called every storage facility within a 60 mile radius. If this information service provided information on 100% of all storage auction events in your area & provided 30-40 auctions per month that you couldn't find on any other website, at what price would you subscribe to this website?

$5 $10 $15 $20 $25 $30 $35 $40

Thanks for your input.

Re: I have a question & I would appreciate your feedback.
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 08:21:53 AM »
I am just wondering, why would someone pay for something that is free and easy to find?

I know what you want to do, and in some cases it is a good idea. But not when it comes to storage auctions.

You have to remember that most storage places run their auctions on the same day every month. And they have flyers printed out to tell you the upcoming auctions the next 8 months.

So when you have been to alle the auctions once, you know when their next will be.

I can't see this beeing something alot of people would use, this would be for the lazy ones, the ones who don't want to work to make this happend, and they wll be out of the business sooner then later.

If you think of building a website and make this your side business? i think you will be spending alot of time and some money on it, and i am not sure you would get the turnover you are hoping for.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 10:12:51 AM »
The purpose of this survey was to find a fair price point for services like ours. I currently own & operate https://auctionstx.com/houston-storage-auctions/ and we actually call over 1400 storage facilities twice a month. It took over a month to build our database and it requires constant updating. We are currently the only service to provide information on 100% of all storage facilities in the greater Houston & surrounding areas. We provide listings for roughly 300 storage auction events every month including 25-40 auctions that cannot be found on any other website.

Yes, there is free storage auction information available in every city but, in the greater Houston & surrounding areas, we have over 1400 storage facilities. There are two main newspapers that publish notices for about half of all storage facilities in this area. There are also over 40 smaller local newspapers within our area, most of which don't post their content online.  Nobody is going to subscribe to and read that many newspapers. It would cost several hundred dollars a month and consume hours of your time every day.

Most other major cities in the U.S. don't have a service that covers 100% of all auctions. Some areas have newspapers & auctioneers that may handle a majority of the market but they only promote storage auctions that they are profiting on somehow. Unless a service like our exists in your area, or you are willing to devote a majority of you time to collecting information, you will always be missing some of the auctions in your area. Of course this may vary depending on the size of your town. Also, Keep in mind, our service unites over 40 smaller cities within the greater Houston & surrounding areas and we are very thorough at collecting the information we provide for our subscribers.

Anyway, getting back to the subject. The question is not if it will work, it does, (the creator of this forum currently operates 3-4 services like ours). Rather, the question is, if this kind of service existed in your area, at what price would you consider joining. This question is Hypothetical, we have no plans of expanding nationally.  Information collected from these results will only be used to offer our current & future members a quality service at the most reasonable price.

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 10:34:23 AM »
I know lots of people who would pay for this service so it's a good idea.

I don't know of any old timers who would pay for a service like this though. Also, personally I don't see any reason to go more than 20 min from my home, more than enough facilities and auctions in that radius and its not difficult to keep up with that so I personlaly would never pay for info.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 11:03:56 AM »
Really, its about having more options. In the Houston area, there have been so many new buyers attending storage auctions that it has become almost impossible to buy a unit that you can still profit on. I was talking to a storage facility owner a few weeks ago who is located in a rural area. He said only 2 people usually show up to his auctions. Auctions that are advertised in smaller local newspapers generally have fewer people who attend. This is what our service is all about....helping storage auction buyers get off the beaten path and attend auctions that have fewer buyers in attendance. If my members are able to attend just 1 auction and purchase just 1 unit at a price lower than what they would pay at other auctions, then our service has paid for itself.

Also, I agree, it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks but, the old timers are usually my best customers. They are the ones who depend on storage auctions to make their living. Since the auctions advertised in the mainstream are flooded with new buyers, they have to get off the beaten path if they want to survive in this business.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 11:22:09 AM »
Attending storage auctions (post storage auction reality shows) is like the California gold rush. Tons of people are rushing in. You have to change your location or your methods if you still want to cash in. Pardon the analogy.

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 11:44:32 PM »
I am in California and would love to find the less advertised sales with out the extra time needed to scour dozens of papers.The crowds for the big names are ridiculous here,found one auctioneer recently  that never advertises and much better but numbers still not exactly cheap

sell

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 04:00:12 AM »
I live in Houston and i have not been able to find an auction close to where I live. I did take at look at your website but I did consider it a bit expensive with all due respect. I may consider joining if it where in the 10 to 20 dollar range.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 07:36:23 AM »
No offense taken. This is the type of feedback I am looking for.

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 11:09:46 AM »
Ok well if you decide to lower the price let me know,, so I can join.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 08:19:23 AM »
I have submitted the price changes to my web designer - the changes will be effective 3/17/2011

If you attend one auction with less competition and purchase
one unit at a lower price, our service has paid for itself.

10 Day Trial  -$4.99
1 Month Subscription - $12.99      Only $3.24 a week!
1 Month Only - $14.99
1 Year - $89.99                            Only $7.49 a month!

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 08:30:44 AM »
Hypothetical question: Suppose there was a storage auction information service in your area which called every storage facility within a 60 mile radius. If this information service provided information on 100% of all storage auction events in your area & provided 30-40 auctions per month that you couldn't find on any other website, at what price would you subscribe to this website?

$5 $10 $15 $20 $25 $30 $35 $40

Thanks for your input.

I would pay you $100 a month if you could provide 30-40 auctions per month I couldn't find on any other website in my area. Could you also guarantee that no more than 30 people would show up at those auctions?

I truly believe in my area there are not that many "hidden" auctions.  So, if you ever start the service in the Sacramento, San Francisco, CA area we're good to go.

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 08:33:56 AM »
I live in Houston and i have not been able to find an auction close to where I live. I did take at look at your website but I did consider it a bit expensive with all due respect. I may consider joining if it where in the 10 to 20 dollar range.

Hi there.

I just did a search here for fun.
I spent 2 minutes to find over 1100 auctions in Houston the last two weeks + two weeks ahead. And the best part is, it was free.

I can do this in every state (except Alaska and Hawaii), so guys come on, don't be lazy and stop wasting your money on something you can do for free, and it only takes you about 10 minutes a week to stay on top of it.

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 08:52:45 AM »
Here is just a sample.

This is for Cook County,IL

Cook 2011/03/15 THE FOLLOWING GOODS STORED AT ALSIP SELF STORAGE 5253 W. 111th St. Alsip, IL Items listed below, wil Daily Southtown Star (Tinley Park)
Cook 2011/03/15 A public sale will take place on March 24, 2011 a 1997 Ford Mustang (1FALP4049VF104354) will be sold Daily Southtown Star (Tinley Park)
Cook 2011/03/15 Mechanic's Lien Notice is hereby given that on April 14,2011,at 10:00 AM,a sale will be held at Crys Daily Herald (Chicago)
Cook 2011/03/15 IN THE CIRCUIT COURT OF COOK COUNTY, ILLINOIS COUNTY DEPARTMENT - CHANCERY DIVISION F11010364 CHOH J Chicago Daily Law Bulletin
Cook 2011/03/15 IN THE CIRCUIT COURT OF COOK COUNTY, ILLINOIS COUNTY DEPARTMENT - CHANCERY DIVISION WELLS FARGO BANK Chicago Daily Law Bulletin
Cook 2011/03/15 IN THE CIRCUIT COURT OF COOK COUNTY, ILLINOIS COUNTY DEPARTMENT - CHANCERY DIVISION CitiMortgage, In Chicago Daily Law Bulletin
Cook 2011/03/15 ARONBERG, GOLDGEHN, DAVIS & GARMISA (30375) Attorneys, 330 North Wabash Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60 Chicago Daily Law Bulletin
Cook 2011/03/15 IN THE CIRCUIT COURT OF COOK COUNTY, ILLINOIS COUNTY DEPARTMENT - CHANCERY DIVISION HARRIS N.A. Plai Chicago Daily Law Bulletin
Cook 2011/03/15 IN THE CIRCUIT COURT OF COOK COUNTY, ILLINOIS COUNTY DEPARTMENT - CHANCERY DIVISION WELLS FARGO BANK Chicago Daily Law Bulletin
Cook 2011/03/15 IN THE CIRCUIT COURT OF COOK COUNTY, ILLINOIS COUNTY DEPARTMENT - CHANCERY DIVISION FEDERAL NATIONAL Chicago Daily Law Bulletin
Cook 2011/03/15 IN THE CIRCUIT COURT OF COOK COUNTY, ILLINOIS COUNTY DEPARTMENT - CHANCERY DIVISION CITIMORTGAGE, IN Chicago Daily Law Bulletin
Cook 2011/03/15 IN THE CIRCUIT COURT OF COOK COUNTY, ILLINOIS COUNTY DEPARTMENT - CHANCERY DIVISION AMERICAN EAGLE B Chicago Daily Law Bulletin
Cook 2011/03/15 IN THE CIRCUIT COURT OF COOK COUNTY, ILLINOIS COUNTY DEPARTMENT - CHANCERY DIVISION FIFTH THIRD MORT Chicago Daily Law Bulletin
Cook 2011/03/15 IN THE CIRCUIT COURT OF COOK COUNTY, ILLINOIS COUNTY DEPARTMENT - CHANCERY DIVISION FEDERAL NATIONAL Chicago Daily Law Bulletin
Cook, Kane 2011/03/14 PUBLICATION NOTICE NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN THAT ON APRIL 6, 2011 AT 10:00 A.M. A SALE WILL BE HELD AT Courier News (Elgin)
Cook 2011/03/14 NOTICE OF PUBLIC SALE OF PERSONAL PROPERTY Notice is hereby given that pursuant to Section 4 of the  Daily Southtown Star (Tinley Park)
Cook 2011/03/14 NOTICE OF PUBLIC SALE OF PERSONAL PROPERTY Notice is hereby given that pursuant to Section 4 of the  Daily Southtown Star (Tinley Park)

Here is a sample for Kane County,IL

Kane 2011/03/16 PUBLIC NOTICE You are hereby notified that on April 16, 2011 a sale will be held at Lovett 's Towing Kane County Chronicle (Geneva)
Kane 2011/03/15 PUBLIC NOTICE Notice is hereby given that on April 8, 2011 a sale will be held at 186 Woodlawn Ave.  Kane County Chronicle (Geneva)
Cook, Kane 2011/03/14 PUBLICATION NOTICE NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN THAT ON APRIL 6, 2011 AT 10:00 A.M. A SALE WILL BE HELD AT Courier News (Elgin)
Kane 2011/03/12 PUBLIC NOTICE You are hereby notified that on April 16, 2011 a sale will be held at Lovett 's Towing Kane County Chronicle (Geneva)
Kane 2011/03/12 PUBLIC NOTICE You are hereby notified that on April 16, 2011 a sale will be held at Lovett 's Towing Kane County Chronicle (Geneva)
Kane 2011/03/10 PUBLIC NOTICE The personal property located at Convenient Self-Storage, Inc. 201 N. Dempsey, Elburn, Elburn Herald
Kane 2011/03/09 PUBLIC NOTICE Notice of Disposition of Personal Property Sycamore Self Storage, 1420 Dekalb Avenue,  Kane County Chronicle (Geneva)
Cook, Kane 2011/03/07 PUBLICATION NOTICE NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN THAT ON APRIL 6, 2011 AT 10:00 A.M. A SALE WILL BE HELD AT Courier News (Elgin)
Cook, Kane 2011/03/04 Liens Public Notice Notice is hereby given that on 03/17/2011 a sale will be held at Arties Towing 1 Courier News (Elgin)
Cook, Kane 2011/03/02 Notice is herby giving that a disposition of property will be held on 3/3/2011 at 9:00am at 300 Sund Courier News (Elgin)
Kane 2011/02/28 NOTICE OF PUBLIC SALE OF PERSONAL PROPERTY Notice is hereby given that the undersigned will sell, to Beacon News (Aurora)
Kane 2011/02/26 PUBLIC NOTICE NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING BEFORE THE PLAN COMMISSION OF THE VILLAGE OF SUGAR GROVE Peti Kane County Chronicle (Geneva)
Cook, Kane 2011/02/25 Liens Public Notice Notice is hereby given that on 03/17/2011 a sale will be held at Arties Towing 1 Courier News (Elgin)
Kane 2011/02/24 public notice state of illinois ) ) SS county of kane ) blackberry township road district Public not Elburn Herald
Cook, Kane 2011/02/23 Notice is herby giving that a disposition of property will be held on 3/3/2011 at 9:00am at 300 Sund Courier News (Elgin)
Kane 2011/02/21 NOTICE OF PUBLIC SALE OF PERSONAL PROPERTY Notice is hereby given that the undersigned will sell, to Beacon News (Aurora)
Kane 2011/02/18 PUBLIC NOTICE Notice is hereby given that on March 22nd, 2011 a sale at 8:00 am at 853 E. Wilson St. Kane County Chronicle (Geneva)
Kane 2011/02/18 PUBLIC NOTICE You are hereby notified that on March 26, 2011 a sale will be held at Lovett 's Towing Kane County Chronicle (Geneva)
Kane 2011/02/18 PUBLIC NOTICE BIDDING & CONTRACT REQUIREMENTS Document 00030 Invitation to Bid DeKalb C.U.S.D. 428,  Kane County Chronicle (Geneva)
Kane 2011/02/18 PUBLIC NOTICE On, March 21, 2011 a sale will be held at 9:00 A.M. at 28 N Lake St. Aurora, IL to sel Kane County Chronicle (Geneva)

This is something we all can do, it does not matter where you live, except Alaska and Hawaii. Some states are still not online with this system, but they will be soon. In total there is only 7 states that are not in this system.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 09:06:18 AM »
Mr. A....

Could you post some for Houston !

xx
Feedback

Started by Travis

16 Replies
Last post February 27, 2014, 05:51:57 PM
by atanorthwest
xx
The Zero Feedback Buyer

Started by MovieMan

4 Replies
Last post September 12, 2013, 03:19:11 PM
by bwd111
xx
What's the point of feedback?

Started by Travis

6 Replies
Last post June 13, 2014, 04:12:58 PM
by rulesforrebels
xx
Something Interesting - Looking for feedback...

Started by StorMe

2 Replies
Last post September 05, 2012, 10:14:10 AM
by alloro