Storage Auctions

I have the keys and the title...

I have the keys and the title...
« on: November 04, 2011, 08:40:56 PM »
They have the car.

bought a junk unit for 1 item (high dollar new in box item) the rest of the unit was 99.99% trash. Bought it right, so I am not worried about it.

Only other item I found was a signed and dated title. They owe the state a late fee (bought it six months ago)

But I drove past the address I found on some mail. The car is there.

The title is signed over to no one so I could fill my name in and transfer it then collect my car. I'm likely going to just trash it but I have to wonder. Who now owns the car?

if you find the keys to a safe deposit box and the box number. who owns the contents?

Re: I have the keys and the title...
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 09:20:16 PM »
is the car abandoned?

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 09:50:59 PM »
Whoever is the registered owner of the mailbox or car. The title document is replaceable.

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 09:54:21 PM »
They may have already replaced the title.

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 12:55:02 PM »
They may have already replaced the title.

In Minnesota duplicate titles are are always trumped by the original. So if they went to the seller and said hey, we lost the title, get us another one the one I found in the locker would over ride their copy.

The car is not currently registered to the person that rented the locker. it's still registered to the person that sold it to them.

I do not know if the car is abandoned. The unit, and the car are with in miles of my home so I have seen it several times unmoved in the driveway since I found the title.

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 01:28:30 PM »
I would maybe call the local DMV and ask them about your situation. If you can sign the title and go get a  new one in your name and then go get the car, that would be a good find for sure!

Offline acman

• Buying lockers without paying retail, FTW!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 02:54:48 PM »
Imagine the look on the previous owners face as you drive away in his car.  I would need photo's of that one! Isn't possession 9/10ths of the law?

Kinda got a question about just finding the original title in a unit(unsigned) with no keys or car? Does that locker owner still retain ownership even though title was left?

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 06:30:32 AM »
Husband said if you can take the car hire a repo company to go get it. Keeps you out of the confrontation.
Not sure what we would do in this situation. Good luck with it.

Offline Boxlot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 06:40:43 AM »
Do he right thing and give the owner of the car the title. It would be one thing if the car was in the storage unit and you found the title but it was not. I was under the impression that if any paper work is found it should be returned. Karma goes along way.

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 07:32:05 AM »
I would consult an attorney before doing anything rash like hiring a repo man. Can you tell us what year and make of car it is without tipping your hand so to speak?

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 07:43:42 AM »
I would consult an attorney before doing anything rash like hiring a repo man. Can you tell us what year and make of car it is without tipping your hand so to speak?
Just saying if it is legal ect. then have someone else do it. To be honest I think we would just give it back to the person or destroy it less hassle. 

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 01:40:31 PM »
Put that title in the box with their pictures, tax receipts etc and take that back to the storage company.  Sometimes you have to do the right thing and not let greed cloud your judgement.

Offline acman

• Buying lockers without paying retail, FTW!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 07:45:45 PM »
Do he right thing and give the owner of the car the title. It would be one thing if the car was in the storage unit and you found the title but it was not. I was under the impression that if any paper work is found it should be returned. Karma goes along way.

I was figuring that, just asking myself. 

As for returning the stuff to owner, fat chance as manager doesn't do personal returns and I'm not about to do a zaba search to find these people to return personal effects.  I do check craigslist for lost and found and if your to lazy to put on CL that you lost such and such unit and you'd like the personal items back, I'm not going to bend over backwards to find you, much less use my own profit to do a search on you.

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2011, 10:27:04 AM »
very common car.. Not worth a whole lot, and if it does not run, it's worth it's weight in scrap.

Facility is not interested in being the paperwork middle man. I'm not really in the mood to deal with it for a car that might fetch 900-1500 on CL.

I fed the title to the shredder and my kid got the keys to play with.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2011, 02:20:41 PM »
very common car.. Not worth a whole lot, and if it does not run, it's worth it's weight in scrap.

Facility is not interested in being the paperwork middle man. I'm not really in the mood to deal with it for a car that might fetch 900-1500 on CL.

I fed the title to the shredder and my kid got the keys to play with.
Hey at least your kid got something.. Thanks for sharing made us all think. Something will come your way. ;)

xx
Getting Keys for a Vehicle

Started by Travis

1 Replies
Last post January 17, 2013, 03:47:14 PM
by Alias300
xx
How do you manage your keys?

Started by Travis

2 Replies
Last post May 29, 2014, 07:59:52 PM
by bakerben