Storage Auctions

I hear and read about it all of the time but.......

Offline ChefJ

• View Profile
    • Email
I hear and read about it all of the time but.......
« on: September 04, 2011, 03:58:10 PM »
Why in the hell would a man or woman with 1/4 of a brain leave any form of gold or silver in a storage unit????  I think I am a fairly intelligent guy, and I can't for the life of me figure out who is that foolish.  EVERYONE in the world has enough room to store those small items.

Re: I hear and read about it all of the time but.......
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 06:16:33 PM »
Ya an the funny thing is ive yet to buy a unit without some kind of jewelry in it. Literally 100% of the time for me i find some.

Offline acman

• Buying lockers without paying retail, FTW!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 12:16:42 AM »
Why in the hell would a man or woman with 1/4 of a brain leave any form of gold or silver in a storage unit????  I think I am a fairly intelligent guy, and I can't for the life of me figure out who is that foolish.  EVERYONE in the world has enough room to store those small items.

Been asking friends and family the same question, and got one really good answer.

If a locker is owned by someone who lives in a somewhat not so good part of town they probably think it is safer to leave such items locked in a locker in a gated area that has 24 hour security.  Probably figure that since they already have a unit it might as well go there. Really only thing I can think of though.

Offline bwd111

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 01:59:53 PM »
Why in the hell would a man or woman with 1/4 of a brain leave any form of gold or silver in a storage unit????  I think I am a fairly intelligent guy, and I can't for the life of me figure out who is that foolish.  EVERYONE in the world has enough room to store those small items.
Well two weeks ago we bought a lkr for 200.00 and found 6 gold braclets 14k and sold them for 2444.42

Offline bwd111

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 02:02:28 PM »
Well people pay to store trash due to be lazy so I can see some one throwing jewlery in a box and thinking Hey I can get this out latter. Plus when moving if you put jewelery in a box you dont loose it in the move.

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 06:58:38 PM »
People have been known to store a million dollar Stradivarius in a storage locker.

Oh, wait, no they haven't.  ;D

No idea here.

Roadvirus

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 09:53:52 PM »
Why in the hell would a man or woman with 1/4 of a brain leave any form of gold or silver in a storage unit????
Maybe they think it's safer. Apparently they never heard of buying a safe. A lot cheaper then renting a storage unit long-term.

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 07:55:27 AM »
Remember, the US has been a consumer society for several decades. People, especially older folks might not even remember how much jewelry they have accumulated, either purchased on thier own or received as gifts. They probably have two or three pieces they really love and wear all the time and the rest is left in storage.

Don't forget that gold and silver only seem more valuable now because of the depreciation of the US Dollar. It was'nt that long ago that gold was only $250 an ounce, and silver was $5 an ounce. If someone loses thier $1500 sofa and loveseat set or $2000 bedroom set at auction, they probably are'nt even thinking of the few hundred dollars in jewelry left behind as well.

In our world (resellers) the furniture depreciates, and the gold and silver jewelry hold thier purchasing power. In thier world (locker owners) they lost a $1500 furniture set.

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 01:20:57 PM »
Maybe they think it's safer. Apparently they never heard of buying a safe. A lot cheaper then renting a storage unit long-term.
So what about those people who bought a safe only to end up securing it in a storage unit....

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 04:27:25 PM »
I suspect it can be a 100 different reasons.  They got evicted and moved everything to the unit "short term" and just lost it.  It was a divorce and they were hiding stuff from the ex.  Or like the Storage Heroes blog - they found a ring "hidden" in a cigar box.  You just never know IMO.

It's like one of the regulars was saying the other day.  He found $625 in cash in a locker that was $125 a month.  Now why wouldn't they have gotten some of the cash out of the locker to pay for the rent.

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 04:43:28 PM »
I think most people that wind up loosing **** expect to get it out before they get locked out. And sonething falls threw or whatever

Offline otbg

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2011, 04:51:11 PM »
I'd say the 2 biggest reasons are incarceration and death

xx
WASTE OF TIME - read before censored

Started by The Real Lance

13 Replies
Last post October 31, 2013, 11:27:18 AM
by Travis
xx
Read this! This person put out an add to get there stuff back.

Started by bwd111

27 Replies
Last post October 25, 2011, 03:14:07 PM
by LoneStarAds.US
xx
What's the worst feedback you've ever read on eBay?

Started by Travis

14 Replies
Last post July 02, 2015, 10:19:08 PM
by MarkSindone
xx
www.unlocktheinbox.com <-- If you send emails you need to read this.

Started by luke

2 Replies
Last post March 17, 2014, 03:40:51 PM
by luke