Storage Auctions

It's it worth buying?

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
It's it worth buying?
« on: May 20, 2014, 11:46:26 PM »
Will you pass up on a major payday if you think the item is going to be a hassle to sell?

Examples:
Difficult to move
Limited buyers

Offline dbr831

• View Profile
Re: It's it worth buying?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 08:55:33 AM »
Me? Yes, Husband? No! He's always buying awkward crap and I tell him there is no way he will find a buyer for that. He continually proves me wrong.....eventually.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 09:04:34 AM »
Me? Yes, Husband? No! He's always buying awkward crap and I tell him there is no way he will find a buyer for that. He continually proves me wrong.....eventually.

Then perhaps you should stop challenging him and start helping him.

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 10:03:23 AM »
depends on the physical size of the item in question

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 11:36:39 AM »

Perhaps he gets motivated by her telling him he'll never find a buyer. I work ten times harder when someone tells me something can't be done.

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 11:39:07 AM »
There is no way you could give me $10,000!   No way.  Under no circumstance would I take the money.

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 01:52:15 PM »
I have a chest from the 1600's that is worth around $6,500.  I bought it for $400.  Its big and bulky and no one in their right mind would buy it but I did.  One day I'll find that other lunatic that wants and charge them a premium

Offline dbr831

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 09:10:53 AM »

Hahaha....just read your reply to my husband. He agrees. Whatever....I do help him by keeping my mouth shut when he buys dumb stuff! He and I definitely focus on different things when it comes to buying. It's what makes us a good team. We both have our surprising successes and occasional flops. I'm more of a researcher and find definite value in obscure items and he is more of an intuition kind of buyer.  Two heads are definitely better than one.

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 09:55:04 PM »
It is really amazing what people pass on.  For instance a Cat Scan machine.  I barely missed an auction where someone paid $25 for a trailer that held one of those carnival games.  Heck it was already on wheels and no one wanted to mess with it.  Of course that attitude has bitten me on the ass on more than one occasion but I have never been afraid to take a chance.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 11:47:02 PM »
I paid $200 for a unit full of used bowling pins. Only one other person out of 30 was interested and he stopped at $190.

Called about 10 bowling alleys before I found someone who was interested, and sold them for $2250 if I recall correctly.

I've found that a lot of people aren't willing to risk their money on the unknown. People who are willing to take a risk can sometimes make huge profits.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 09:19:18 AM »
People who are willing to take a risk can sometimes make huge profits.

Or lose big.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2014, 09:55:08 AM »
Or lose big.

True, you have to weigh the risk. If it's a bargain, or if you can see your return with other items in the unit, the risk is minimized.

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2014, 03:47:02 PM »
I take a lot of what I call "educated gambles"....and most of the time they do pay off.  I have lost a couple of times, but I have won big way more often.  If I am reasonably sure I can make a good profit on something, I will try to buy it no matter what it is, as long as I feel the price is right. 

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2014, 04:36:02 PM »
my wife and I disagree on this a LOT(luckily i hold the bankroll). I will NOT buy an item that is BIG and i don't know where i'll sell it. Space is precious and if i buy a bunch of stuff for $300 that is worth $2000 that doesnt mean anything if the rest of my operation stands still because of it. If i do get items like this I flip them fast to get them out of the way. I hustle through a lot of stuff in a week :)

xx
Is ANYONE Out There Still Buying Lockers?

Started by the teacher

15 Replies
Last post February 08, 2015, 06:39:51 AM
by Travis
xx
Buying Time

Started by Travis

2 Replies
Last post November 29, 2014, 08:27:51 PM
by bakerben
xx
Does your day job have anything to do with buying and selling?

Started by Rufus

1 Replies
Last post April 13, 2015, 08:25:07 PM
by auctionguy
xx
Buying a house full?

Started by calcoastgal

3 Replies
Last post August 22, 2012, 11:18:33 PM
by calcoastgal