Storage Auctions

keeping track of customers

keeping track of customers
« on: September 05, 2012, 06:33:01 PM »
For people that have a large network of buyers, how do you keep track of what they want?  I was looking at getting some CRM software but a) it is expensive, b) it is way more complex than I need, and c) I keep thinking there must be an easier way.  I thought of creating a spreadsheet, but I was hoping for something, like an android app, that I could use on the go. 

So, say steve wants DeWalt Tools, and Bill wants old comics, etc.. I want a simple way to organize this information as well as an efficient way to know which customers wanted what when I get it in stock.  Ideally, I would have their name, phone number, e-mail address, what they're looking for, etc.  I could do all this in excel, but I feel like I would have to do a "CTRL F", then F3 all the way down the page to find every person who wanted that particular thing. 

Re: keeping track of customers
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 07:42:33 PM »
I would think the best way would be organize it by product.  Dewalt Tools Steve G., John R. etc.  Coke items Sally B., Jill B. etc.  This way when you are looking at lockers or picking the items you see you look up your buyers.  App., or spreadsheet I think item first then buyers.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 07:57:04 PM »
could do all this in excel, but I feel like I would have to do a "CTRL F", then F3 all the way down the page to find every person who wanted that particular thing. 

Names down the left, product desired across the top, and an X in the intersecting cell. When you get the product in, just sort the column so that all of the Xs come to the top.

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 12:25:41 AM »
Names down the left, product desired across the top, and an X in the intersecting cell. When you get the product in, just sort the column so that all of the Xs come to the top.

Good idea... thank you!

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 03:01:17 PM »
I would be nervous using software written by someone that can't even spell "Handling" correctly.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 03:08:29 PM »
I would be nervous using software written by someone that can't even spell "Handling" correctly.

Im sur u no thet not everbody is as gud at speling and grammer as u and me.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 04:11:51 PM »
LOL! LOL! LOL! ;D ;D ;D

Haste makes waste!

Out of all the people that have a copy of the software you are the first that has said anything - HeHehe.

Good Catch!

A while back I read an article about the way the mind processes the written word it basically said that most people could overlook some word structures and misspellings when reading to themselves. We will essentially automatically fill in the errors in the written piece and be able to read it as if it didn't even have any errors.

But then there are others that read the written word and when attached to an agenda will do their best to belittle people because of their need to feel superior.

So I ask, did I at anytime wrong you? Is there a piece of software you have gotten from me that was defective? You will get this warning from me only one time. Be careful with your negative comments about the software that I produce. Do you understand?
Good…

:) ;D ;)

Whoa....

I think he was making the comment in general...I doubt very seriously he knew you wrote the software, I know I didn't.

The part of your response which I quoted above (and put in red by me) is especially unsettling in its tone (IMO) and seems much more important to me than any mispelling one might make...but again, that's just my opinion.

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 04:36:54 PM »
Wow fancy stuff. I use a small notebook and post-it flags. LOL I guess I need to get out of the dinosaur ages.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 05:29:30 PM »
So I ask, did I at anytime wrong you? Is there a piece of software you have gotten from me that was defective? You will get this warning from me only one time. Be careful with your negative comments about the software that I produce. Do you understand?

First off I wasn't being serious, second off I wasn't aware that you were the one who engineered the software, third you can take your BS attitude and go F yourself.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 06:08:50 PM »

I truly hope you understand and appreciate what I am saying as well Mr. MovieMan. I know in your heart you do.

I was just thinking there would have been a different way to approach it similar to what you did in your post just above, but leaving out all the negatives.

In the end, each of us writes what we think is appropriate; you, I and he (in his last post) wrote what we thought was appropriate at the moment.

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 06:13:37 PM »
What is the website for this software?  I googled "Storage Master" but wasn't able to find it.

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 06:33:02 AM »
I just use memory to know what I need to "look for" when I go out to the auction / yard sales.  Most of my buying is for my buddies store that they keep a list of who is wanting what.  It also keeps the inventory fresh so there are different things each time someone comes in.

For sales / auctions - I use excel to keep track of everything.  Is quick and simple.

StorME -
  Did you write that in VB or what?  Sort of looks like a older VB 6 type of program.  I have some of the same icons for a in-house utility that I wrote for work.  Of course if it all came from MS I'm sure they use the same icon library.

As for spelling - I've seen the agenda issue many times, and have snickered to myself also.  I'm a very bad speller as MovieMan can attest to...I drive him nuts in some post :)  However, for software that you are going to publish I always have QA / Beta testers to look over it all to see if I spelled something wrong, have the wrong "flow" to the program, etc.  They have found things before that kept my errors out of the public / coporate spotlight.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 09:48:53 AM »
  I'm a very bad speller as MovieMan can attest to...I drive him nuts in some post :) 

That should be "posts" (plural) !   ;)

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2012, 01:38:11 AM »
StorMe .. where can I get your software?

Offline mj74

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 10:08:41 AM »
We just have printed out fill in forms. If someone comes into the store,and is looking for something in particular,we hand them the list,and they fill in the sections... NAME,PHONE,and WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING FOR.

Then whenever we getin any new stuff,we just look over the list,and give them a call. Alot of them are always looking for cetain types of things,and have become regulars,so as soon as we see a certain item,we just know who would be interested.

xx
Keeping Items That Appreciate

Started by Travis

7 Replies
Last post November 08, 2013, 02:40:00 PM
by parksleyman
exclamation
Book/Record Keeping

Started by CollectOrForget

0 Replies
Last post October 04, 2011, 01:34:25 AM
by CollectOrForget