Storage Auctions

Keeping up Sales in winter

Keeping up Sales in winter
« on: July 22, 2011, 09:09:40 PM »
I have been really thinking lately.... I wanna know how you guys do in winter since yard sales, garage sales and such aren't prevalent.

Re: Keeping up Sales in winter
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 09:31:30 PM »
Try to store up for winter.Still hit estate sales,auctions and thrift stores.

Offline Bandit

• View Profile
    • Storage Battles
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 02:41:07 PM »
  Try not to buy anything bigger then a bread box during the winter as We have to store it , and for those wondering , the locker auctions are still  held during snow storms , You just don't have Mom , dad , and the Kids and Grama pushing the baby's sleigh  .
  We have walked away from some nice   lockers with big furniture going for cheap , as it just isn't worth it to Us in Jan. / Feb.. / March .
   But We do go to regular weekly indoor auctions to stock up for April /May sales .

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • MSN Messenger - jrossmakesmoney@gmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 02:12:41 AM »
Dont really have that cold winter problem here in South Texas, but regardless, most of my sales are through CL.

Offline Bandit

• View Profile
    • Storage Battles
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 04:01:48 PM »
  Hi Jross
   Thanks for the heads up on Your lack of cold  winter weather in Fort Worth ?   ::)
Did I mention that I came through Your town in Feb. ?   We were moving My sister in law back  to Ma. from  Ca.  .                                                                                                                                            We ( 16 ft. Budget and a Saturn )  got stuck in Deming Nm. for two days as  I-20 and the roads in Dallas had turned into skating rinks .  We had No Problem ( Me , Wife and Daughter  driving , but S in L hadn't driven in/on snow or ice in over 20 yrs. and was freaking out . 
 When the roads opened up , We booked it down the Low route ( I-10 )  only to get stuck  in Mobil Al and again in Pa. when the closed the roads  do to icing .
   We are thinking about spending this winter in either Fl. , Nm., Az. , or Tx.   not sure where yet , just reading all the Rv forums We can .  ;D 
   Bob
  Ps.
  If You see a Dodge Maxi Window van with Mass. plates towing a trailer at a local auction next winter , it isn't Us .    ::)

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 06:27:37 PM »
  Hi Jross
   Thanks for the heads up on Your lack of cold  winter weather in Fort Worth ?   ::)
Did I mention that I came through Your town in Feb. ?   We were moving My sister in law back  to Ma. from  Ca.  .                                                                                                                                            We ( 16 ft. Budget and a Saturn )  got stuck in Deming Nm. for two days as  I-20 and the roads in Dallas had turned into skating rinks .  We had No Problem ( Me , Wife and Daughter  driving , but S in L hadn't driven in/on snow or ice in over 20 yrs. and was freaking out . 
 When the roads opened up , We booked it down the Low route ( I-10 )  only to get stuck  in Mobil Al and again in Pa. when the closed the roads  do to icing .
   We are thinking about spending this winter in either Fl. , Nm., Az. , or Tx.   not sure where yet , just reading all the Rv forums We can .  ;D 
   Bob
  Ps.
  If You see a Dodge Maxi Window van with Mass. plates towing a trailer at a local auction next winter , it isn't Us .    ::)

Umm I do not get where you got the idea I am from FT Worth. I was born there, but I live in South Texas, in San Antonio. Here we dont get bad winters. However if you are talking about Ft Worth they get ice on the ground every year through alot of the Winter months, and usually (not all the time) snows, Id say about an inch or two, most of the time this snow melts.

Offline Bandit

• View Profile
    • Storage Battles
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 10:01:05 PM »
Oops Sorry My bad
  It was a tiring day fighting off all the aggressive bidders at the auction today , it must of been from when I was looking at the Google map of where I wanted to go ( Dallas / Fort Worth ) and couldn't do to the highways being shut down do to 3 inches of ice on them ( You can't sand highways with a tailgate sander on a pick up truck , driveways yes ,     I-20  NO ) I had looked at Your profile . 
  We ended up taking  I 10 to Mobile Al then worked our way up to I 81 . to avoid the snow and ice , so We did pass through San Antonio.

So You are up above the RGV  Rio Grande Valley where some  the Winter Texans Go ?
If it is warm , You just might see us .
  Tom Hayward from Ca. ( yes we have been on his list for years ) that does the Pod & Door to Door auctions all over the country walked by Us in the crowd at one of His auction in Az. said Hi claire , Hi Bob , got about 20 ft. stopped , whipped around and said are You guys lost ? or am I ?  LOL

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 08:56:30 PM »

So You are up above the RGV  Rio Grande Valley where some  the Winter Texans Go ?
If it is warm , You just might see us .

Yup, it stays pretty warm here, it does get cold during the winter months, but you rarely see ice on the road like you would up north. It gets cold enough to freeze water, but you dont see to much of Black Ice or the like on our roads. Snow, try once every 10 years, lol.

Tom Hayward from Ca. ( yes we have been on his list for years ) that does the Pod & Door to Door auctions all over the country walked by Us in the crowd at one of His auction in Az. said Hi claire , Hi Bob , got about 20 ft. stopped , whipped around and said are You guys lost ? or am I ?  LOL

Now that was funny, lol

Offline Bandit

• View Profile
    • Storage Battles
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 03:48:01 PM »
   Hi Jross
  I am just looking for warmer weather and No excessive snow , as My old body hurts more every winter .                                                                                   When We got back from our cross country trip in Feb. , Our cars were under 4 Ft. + of snow . ( I called My parents and had the crew that plow there driveway    shovel out  our car for $ 75.00 ) Nothing like driving 12 hrs. then having to shovel over 4 ft. of snow at 10:00 Pm.
  Bandit
Ps.
  Researching around the Southern Texas area  , Brownsville , San Benito , Rockport ,

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 07:01:35 PM »
   Hi Jross
  I am just looking for warmer weather and No excessive snow , as My old body hurts more every winter .                                                                                   When We got back from our cross country trip in Feb. , Our cars were under 4 Ft. + of snow . ( I called My parents and had the crew that plow there driveway    shovel out  our car for $ 75.00 ) Nothing like driving 12 hrs. then having to shovel over 4 ft. of snow at 10:00 Pm.
  Bandit
Ps.
  Researching around the Southern Texas area  , Brownsville , San Benito , Rockport ,

Well I cant personally speak on Brownsville and San Benito. But Rockport is a nice place to live. Although it is a little pricey due to be so close to the Ocean and it being another spot for tourist. (Corpus Christi being only a 30 min drive.) And it being so close to a Tourist town and mainly a failing fishing industry town, pay is not that well. Jobs are scarce, most people make their money during the summer time.

Now to the grits and gravy. According to some people I know that are seasoned vets, they went down to that area for Storage Auctions a few times. People way over pay on the lkrs there. This was even before the shows started. They all got money to basically just throw away, and the way the was telling me how it is. The are very territorial, got lots of money, willing to take all the risk, and are all pretty much treasure hunters. So if you do go there, good luck, and check out the fishing over at Goose Island.

Offline Bandit

• View Profile
    • Storage Battles
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 10:13:03 PM »
  Thanks  Jross
   That area was on My list for more research after I found a post about " The Big Fisherman "
  Rockport Texas Campground recomendation

I have stayed at Woody Acres in Fulton because a buddy winters there. Just a few miles from Goose Island. If you are only going to be there a short time, take you pick but call in advance. I have been to Woody Acres twice a year for the last 3 years,staying 10-14 days at a time. Friends always had me a site close to them but January was unusually full this time. Regardless of where you stay, be sure to visit "The Big Fisherman" south of Rockport. They have a "all you can eat" chicken fried steak, livers or gizzards with 2 sides for less that $3.00 on Tuesdays between 11:00-4:00. They sell margaritas while you are waiting in line for a buck. If there is a long line, don't worry, it usually snakes out the door but we have never waited longer than 1/2 hour. Charlotte Plummers is a little more upscale but very good seafood. If you stay at Woody Acres, please P.M. me. I will give you the name of my buddy.

$ 320  a month with a hot tub and heated pool , and this is in the mid price range for the area
           http://woodyacres.us/
Bandit

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2011, 02:10:18 AM »
I only knew about all of that cause I use to live in Aransas Pass, which is between Rockport, Corpus Christi, and Portland. Never went to any auctions down there myself. Worked on the Island as a cook at the Beach Lodge in Port Aransas. Should go check that place out too for good eats.

xx
Winter Yard Sales in Southeast

Started by Millertime

9 Replies
Last post February 29, 2012, 01:14:02 PM
by Travis
xx
For those of you in colder climates has the winter slowed you down this winter?

Started by rulesforrebels

4 Replies
Last post March 01, 2014, 08:27:24 PM
by calcoastgal
xx
Keeping Items That Appreciate

Started by Travis

7 Replies
Last post November 08, 2013, 02:40:00 PM
by parksleyman
xx
Keeping your emotions in check