Storage Auctions

Mattresses

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
Mattresses
« on: April 16, 2012, 04:06:23 PM »
Taking this from the Auction scene.

Mattress springs selling and crafts.  ::)

Have two crib mattresses and one single mattress. Took maybe 10 minutes to remove the plastic cover on the crib mattress nice white padding underneath pulled off into two pieces. Great for shipping. What was left was all the metal springs easy scrap, all in one piece.

The twin took a little longer (needed a new razor blade). Maybe 30 minutes to remove outer cover. Never done it before so a little time for learning curve. Have to wait on husband to get home to get the wire cutters out of the tool box to finish. Not sure how the the spring covers will come off.

On the plus springs on the twin are nice and rusty has been laying around for a while.  ;)
And they are selling on Ebay... Not for much as MovieMan pointed out.

Will see what I can come up with for the use of them or easy scrap.

The cover off the twin would make a nice furniture moving blanket like StorMe said.

Re: Mattresses
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 05:31:56 PM »
Money my Aunt said she was going to try and find some to use as plant starters. Take a group of springs still together and put peat pots in the springs. Keeps the pots up so the pincher bugs can't eat the new sprouts. Not sure if it would work but I may have to try.

One lady at the antique show said she collected vintage post cards and was going to use her 2' X 2' section to display the cards in. She said that she would change them out when she wanted a new look.

I really tried to listen to as many ideas as possible. I should have been writing them down. I have always avoided units with mattresses like the plague. Maybe not so much anymore. LOL

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 05:43:49 PM »
googled it this morning after reading about them selling.

Some good ideas out there. But it would take a crafty place to sell them not the run of the mill Flea.

If I come up with anything that is worth a picture I will post.  ;)

Where is Buldogmom?  Bet she has some ideas.

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 07:27:11 PM »
Well if ya'll come up with something good post it here so I can steal it and make some money at my flea :)

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 01:01:39 AM »
What He ^ said.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 04:52:40 AM »
No problem, Trying to keep track of time spent to see if it is worth it.

I lot of the crafty things I see might be cool but take way to long to produce to make money.

Love the ones you can just slap together and sell for a good price.

So hopefully can figure out something easy for the springs.  ;D

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 02:27:06 PM »
LOL....I have only seen mattress springs turned into a bulletin board thingy and some planters! Both were kinda ugly!

I used my kids crib springs to hold up sweet peas one year.... ;) Hubby thought it was a tad junky to keep up for another year.

Bev

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 04:46:41 PM »
LOL Bulldog. It is called shabby sheik not ugly....  ;)  but most of it is ugly.  IMO

Spent about an hour pulling off the metal frame holding everything together.  Would have been 30 minutes if I had figured out to cut the metal frame into smaller pieces and just pull out.  ::)

This was a serta mattress so the springs are individually wrapped. ( only a cloth holding them together)  So I have strands of springs. Did cut some out and all my big ideas bounced away.  ;D

If nothing else did not pay to get rid of it and have enough in scrap to cover my time.

Still working on the ideas.... Saw a wreath on etsy with some paper flowers added (ugly) for $30. Too bad they don't have a watch list.  :D

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 05:47:30 PM »
Money -  ;D ;D ;D

The picture I am getting is great!

Maybe glue a couple to the bottom of the old tennis shoes and sell at the swap....kid's would love them! ;)

My teacup pin cushions are selling at the antique mall for $8 a pop! I have about $1-$2 into them.  Yippee...cuz the cup and saucers do not sell at all. Too many vendors have oodles of them.

Hubby bemoans my artsy-fartsy pile in the back bedroom but he has learned just to stay quiet. What is sad is I have no artistic talent...none, not a drop! I have to stick with things I can glue together or stencil or staple.

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 05:52:15 PM »
Fun thread!
The visual of money butchering a mattress is hysterical.  Next time just grab a bic and fire that mother up! 8)

bulldogmom~I was going to suggest the springs on the bottom of shoes and try to sell them to the vertically challenged at auctions!  ;D

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 05:57:52 PM »
Bouncing bidders!!!

Now that is a youtube video I would love to see!

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 06:02:16 PM »
Bouncing bidders!!!

Now that is a youtube video I would love to see!

Oh great~I just read your comment to my husband and he's threatening to pull a Barry with a pogo stick!   :-\
With him being 6' 4" seeing over a crowd is rarely an issue~

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 06:52:23 PM »
Rockin....LOL. Video??? ;)

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 05:52:04 AM »
Fun thread!
The visual of money butchering a mattress is hysterical.  Next time just grab a bic and fire that mother up! 8)

OK will add to the fun... The metal frame was 1/4" thick was able to cut a few but a little difficult.. So laid it on the ground and used the ground as leverage then it was a snap... AFV should have been in order.

On the bic side Burn ban... No rain for over a month, for Fl.. that is bad. The gators have even moved on.

bulldogmom~I was going to suggest the springs on the bottom of shoes and try to sell them to the vertically challenged at auctions!  ;D

I resemble that remark.     :D

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2012, 01:09:35 PM »
I mentioned the springs thing to my wife, she has no imagination and couldn't picture what I'm talking about. So I pulled up a pic on the net and showed her. She retaliated with a sanford and son screenshot and said no chance!

xx
Mattresses!

Started by acman

19 Replies
Last post September 07, 2011, 09:23:51 PM
by Drew
xx
old mattresses what do you do with them.

Started by terry

11 Replies
Last post January 23, 2011, 10:59:45 PM
by Bandit
xx
Mattresses in Units

Started by ZoSo

1 Replies
Last post April 26, 2011, 01:12:51 PM
by jrossjr79