Storage Auctions

my most wastefull room yet

my most wastefull room yet
« on: July 01, 2014, 10:03:15 AM »
got an odd one on thursday
5x10 packed solid about 6-7  feet high
did not pay much I think i got it for $50
there was 1 piece of furniture , about 10 boxes of stuff and the entire rest of of the room was filled with nothing but boxes of magazines and vhs tapes
this alone wouldnt have phased me , ive seen and bought worse rooms than this before , but the kicker for me was i found one of their old receipts and they had been in there since 2006 and after doing some quick math they must have spent 10-15,000 storing this crap 
 100 a month in the beginning and with rent increases its probably 170 or so now per month

other than the 1 piece of furniture and the magazines and tapes everything in the room would have fit in a honda civic

amazing what people will pay to hold onto crap

Offline luke

• View Profile
    • Online Email Extractor
    • Email
Re: my most wastefull room yet
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 10:08:47 AM »
If those VHS tapes are stuff the OWNER recorded on them, you'll get $1 each on ebay for them, just bundle them all together, people will record over them.  If they have movies like bought from wal-mart or blockbusters on them, you'll get around .30 - .40 cents each, just bundle them.

Don't dismiss those tapes, a lot of people just toss them, but they add up fast when there's a lot.

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 01:52:37 PM »
i donated the storebought  tapes and chucked the others already
im really at the point now where if i keep much more im going to have to rent more space and Ive been there done that before and dont want to do it again

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 01:55:12 PM »
by the way luke im not dismissing your advice , its good solid advice and i have in the past made decent money off vhs tapes its just right now its not worth me blowing off my other projects to take care of them at this time

Offline luke

• View Profile
    • Online Email Extractor
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 02:25:57 PM »
No worries, I use to make the mistake of tossing the tapes you can record on, thinking they were worthless..

The sell in less then a day on ebay at a $1 each, it's a fast turnaround. You don't have to wait or hold on to them..

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=used+vhs+tapes+blanks&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc

You make more off smaller lots, then bigger lots.  The larger the lot the more of a discount you have to give.

100 Recordable Tapes = Easy $50 bucks.

Magazines I'll shred for packing, but theirs only so much packing shred you need.  Some magazine's will sell, but most are trash.

Offline UdyRegan

• Regan Udy owns and operates the Perth franchise
    • View Profile
    • Supercheap Storage Perth
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 10:00:55 PM »
I can totally imagine how valuable original VHS tapes could be to collectors if you found originals in storage. It's amazing how many people actually keep their VHS tapes in storage but forget all about them. AS a self storage owner, (and under confidentiality) I'd just like to say that you shouldn't just take face value for the stuff you find. It might take a little longer to get things moving, but if you do your research on auction houses, you might just find someone thinks your junk is treasure. Good luck!

xx
Chat room

Started by terry

1 Replies
Last post February 24, 2011, 08:01:04 PM
by Drew
xx
The room from hell!

Started by HomeGrownPromos

16 Replies
Last post May 01, 2013, 09:08:18 PM
by HomeGrownPromos