Storage Auctions

Pods Horror Story

Pods Horror Story
« on: December 19, 2014, 08:33:31 PM »
I won an auction this week and when I was on my third and last load I get this lady from the office steps out and says Im sorry to tell you but that pod was not for sale and was sold in error. We need you to return all the items and get a check in the mail plus $100 for your trouble. This was a 20' pod and it was to the roof full! I had 24 hours of processing that stuff and I told them to come bring a pod and pick the stuff up yourself. They didn't want to do that so here I sit with the biggest pile of household items waiting for someone that wont come to pick them up. I guess I will be keeping this stuff after all.

Re: Pods Horror Story
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 09:21:07 PM »
I won an auction this week and when I was on my third and last load I get this lady from the office steps out and says Im sorry to tell you but that pod was not for sale and was sold in error. We need you to return all the items and get a check in the mail plus $100 for your trouble. This was a 20' pod and it was to the roof full! I had 24 hours of processing that stuff and I told them to come bring a pod and pick the stuff up yourself. They didn't want to do that so here I sit with the biggest pile of household items waiting for someone that wont come to pick them up. I guess I will be keeping this stuff after all.

Once you pay the unit is yours.  They cannot demand it back, even if its sold in error.  Its their error, not yours.

This has happened to me a couple of times.  Luckily the best time was when I went over board on a room with a safe.  I took it back to the shop had a locksmith open it .. and of course empty ... got a call from the facility that they sold the wrong room and asked if I would be interested in selling the room back.  Asked for double, brought back the busted open safe and walked away happy.

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 12:11:16 AM »
$100 doesnt cut it. $1000 in cash and they can come get the stuff. otherwise they're looking at a $10k lawsuit. The stuff is yours.

Offline dbr831

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 10:46:27 AM »
I agree that $100 is definitely not enough and the facility should be bending over backwards to get the stuff picked up. They made a mistake and are facing a huge lawsuit so it is in their best interests to make it right. You should absolutely not have to do any more work and should be generously compensated for the work you already did. Plus I would imagine you paid them in cash at the time of the says so why should you have to wait for a check to be mailed? Crazy!

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 01:33:20 PM »
Sorry to disagree with everyone, but if the unit was sold in error then the items have to go back. All the tenant has to do is file a stolen property police report and the whole transaction becomes a criminal case of selling and receiving stolen property. I agree the fault lies with the facility and they are the ones that should handle the return of the items and also compensate jethro FAIRLY for his expenses and labor.

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 02:39:38 PM »
Some states have clauses in their lien laws which make the buyer exempt from any criminal / civil issues that may arise from the purchase of a storage unit.

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 03:57:50 PM »
my reply is always "sorry, the contents have been sold".

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 04:34:18 PM »
Some states have clauses in their lien laws which make the buyer exempt from any criminal / civil issues that may arise from the purchase of a storage unit.

That covers the buyer if items such as guns, drugs, etc. are found in a unit. It will not cover a buyer who has been informed there was an error and yet willfully kept those items after being informed of the error. I would also suggest that if the tenant or facility does not attempt to make arrangements within 30 days, then the buyer might be entitled to keep everything. Kind of like those lost and found laws.

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 06:46:19 PM »
Looks like in a load of ship then. I had gone thru 3/4 of the locker with processing and was either sold or absorbed with all my other stuff. As for returning this stuff, I don't have the money it will take to fix it. I did leave the last 1/4 of the locker but it was a mess. Maybe being disabled shouldn't be an excuse for refusing to return the items at my expenses because cost for help again is more than $300 Plus a truck $75 not $100. They have not retuned my calls. I will keep and sell these " Stolen Goods" because they are at fault and told me way too late about this.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 08:58:45 PM »
I don't have the money it will take to fix it.

You are not the one that needs to fix it, the facility is.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2014, 12:19:03 AM »
Looks like in a load of ship then.

No you're not. You have a receipt. It's your merchandise now and the burden of retribution lies upon the storage facility. What state are you in, I'll see if there is an exemption for buyers?

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2014, 07:10:58 AM »
im in Florida

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2014, 11:26:39 AM »
im in Florida

Section 83.806 Enforcement of lien.

(7) A purchaser in good faith of the personal property sold to satisfy a lien provided for in s. 83.805 takes the property free of any claims, except those interests provided for in s. 83.808, despite noncompliance by the owner with the requirements of this section.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2014, 09:30:24 PM »
(7) A purchaser in good faith of the personal property sold to satisfy a lien

In this case there was no lien to satisfy since the tenant was not in default.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2014, 12:42:29 AM »
In this case there was no lien to satisfy since the tenant was not in default.

A lien goes into effect the moment property is stored at a self-storage facility, regardless of whether a tenant is in default. A lien sale was advertised, took place and he purchased the property in good faith. He is protected under this clause. This is now a civil matter between the storage facility and the tenant.

xx
What's Your Worst eBay Horror Story ?

Started by MovieMan

11 Replies
Last post August 08, 2013, 10:37:32 PM
by jwaccardi
xx
Craigslist Horror Stories....There are Two Million Of Them

Started by MovieMan

0 Replies
Last post March 08, 2013, 10:15:15 AM
by MovieMan
xx
eBay Horror Stories...there are a million of them !

Started by MovieMan

0 Replies
Last post March 08, 2013, 10:09:49 AM
by MovieMan
xx
Pods

Started by LaWaughn

5 Replies
Last post May 24, 2012, 09:34:11 AM
by Lockerfreq