Storage Auctions

Putting together ideas for an ebook..

Re: Putting together ideas for an ebook..
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2013, 05:35:09 PM »
Damn! Well maybe I'll be the Anti-Glendon Cameron.. The Anti-Douche.. Although this guy at the link seems not to be douche-y..

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2013, 05:49:57 PM »
Damn! Well maybe I'll be the Anti-Glendon Cameron.. The Anti-Douche.. Although this guy at the link seems not to be douche-y..

It's over. The storage auction frenzy, the storage auction list frenzy, the YouTube advice videos, the e-books, the blogs, and yes, the blossoming online auctions, though they have to peak before they go away.

It's time for the next big thing.....coffee shops on every corner, yogurt shops on every other corner, box-stores, internet cafes, some new tech gizmo, you name it. All this stuff has its day and then depending on how many people partake, some of them go away.

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2013, 09:44:10 PM »
All this stuff has its day and then depending on how many people partake, some of them go away.

Say it isn't so.   :'(   ;D

Actually, I disagree. I think online storage auctions are in their infancy and will continue to grow over the next several years. Need I remind you that a decade or so ago, some people thought online shopping would never go mainstream. Look how far we've come since then.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2013, 09:56:23 PM »

Actually, I disagree. I think online storage auctions are in their infancy and will continue to grow over the next several years. Need I remind you that a decade or so ago, some people thought online shopping would never go mainstream. Look how far we've come since then.

No, you don't need to remind me, but I think you have tunnel vision when it comes to online auctions. Your comparison to the infancy of online buying in general ignores one fact which I think is quite large.

The online shopping which has developed over the last decade encompasses hundreds of venues (if not thousands or tens of thousands) which are selling a WIDE variety of goods, and they appeal to millions upon millions of online buyers, not the 10,000 (or whatever) people who buy storage auction lockers.  The comparison is like comparing....I don't know what...but it's not a good comparison from a logical standpoint. But, we are each entitled to our individual opinions; however, I have no motivation to promote my belief whereas you do.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2013, 10:06:31 PM »
10 years from now, we can have this discussion again. I'll send the Gulfstream to pick you up.  ;D

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2013, 10:12:59 PM »
10 years from now, we can have this discussion again. I'll send the Gulfstream to pick you up.  ;D

Ten years from now neither of us will be involved in this business as we are today and I don't mean that in any way connected to a significant change in the business or any sector of the business.

Gulfstream?  Wasn't that the motorhome you paid $600 for and sold for $2K ? 

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2013, 06:12:12 PM »

It's kind of a double edge sword. Re-selling is a tough business and getting inventory cheap is one of the keys to the business. growth in on-line auctions would only make them more competitive and more expensive and less profitable. At some point the growth would stall do to people giving up on the on-line auctions because they are too expensive. Storage facilities won't use on-line services in mass unless they are getting high enough bids so the idea of there being more units for sale then available bidders causing those bidders to win the on-line units really cheap probably won't happen.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2013, 06:44:17 PM »
It's kind of a double edge sword. Re-selling is a tough business and getting inventory cheap is one of the keys to the business. growth in on-line auctions would only make them more competitive and more expensive and less profitable. At some point the growth would stall do to people giving up on the on-line auctions because they are too expensive. Storage facilities won't use on-line services in mass unless they are getting high enough bids so the idea of there being more units for sale then available bidders causing those bidders to win the on-line units really cheap probably won't happen.

I respectfully disagree with that as well. I think that for storage facilities, it's less about the money they recover than the convenience that online storage auctions bring. In the future, once online auctions are more prevalent, prices will level out. Then, when you consider the gas and time your saving, it will be more cost effective.

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2013, 11:30:34 AM »
You need an ISBN to sell your book on any major market format like Amazon, iBooks, or Android right? That's what I was assuming.

Maybe I'll just become a YouTube Douche like Glendon Cameron..

i believe you only need an isbn for a physical paper book. i have several books on amazon in pfd format for kindles and have not had to pay for an isbn

Offline rulesforrebels

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2013, 11:35:05 AM »
No, you don't need to remind me, but I think you have tunnel vision when it comes to online auctions. Your comparison to the infancy of online buying in general ignores one fact which I think is quite large.

The online shopping which has developed over the last decade encompasses hundreds of venues (if not thousands or tens of thousands) which are selling a WIDE variety of goods, and they appeal to millions upon millions of online buyers, not the 10,000 (or whatever) people who buy storage auction lockers.  The comparison is like comparing....I don't know what...but it's not a good comparison from a logical standpoint. But, we are each entitled to our individual opinions; however, I have no motivation to promote my belief whereas you do.

i think both you and travis are right. i think online storage auctions are in their infancy, probably going more from physical auctions to online, maybe even gotomeeting type settings where everyone from their home computer is calling bids over a facetime type deal.

that said i also agree that comparing storage auctions to online shopping isn't really a fair comparison, like you said online shopping encompasses basically every retailer andmerchant who had a brick and mortar store transitiioning into online where as everyone needs to buy things. storage market is a more limited market, how many people are buying things for resale, buying used things, trying to make money flipping,, much smaller market.

that said i think this industry is changing and whoever is innovative and changes with the times will come out on top. i do somewhat agree however that the hype the show created has come and gone though i imagine more people are involved now than before the craze

Offline rulesforrebels

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2013, 11:41:18 AM »
if you enjoy writing and want to write a book i have a better angle for you than an educational series. i personally dont think there's anything you can do that will set yourself aside from the crowd, the crowd being the hundreds of books and programs already out about storage auctions.

if you are able to find a way to seperate yourself good luck educating your potential buyers as most people have probably bought a few crap ebooks already and dont want to give you a chance even if yours is the best yet.

here's my angle for you. many of you on this site have very entertaining stories about interesting occurances at auctions as well as funny stories on craigslist. i personally could see myself buying a funny book if it was anecdotal about your stories and experiences at storage auctions and maybe chime in with a bit of wisdom as well if you want but make it more entertainment than educational.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2013, 11:47:51 AM »
That's actually not a bad idea; however, I still think it would still get swallowed by the other hundred e-books.

On a side note, Dave Hester's book should be out soon if it's not already. I think Dave's book will give Glendon Cameron a run for his money.

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2013, 11:54:53 AM »
You've got a good idea there! I could certainly put together a group of horror stories, funny stories, amazing buys, duds, etc. for a book. However, I think to more solidly paint the picture of the story, I'd have to have pictures.. which I don't have.

xx
How To Make Money With Storage Unit Auctions Ebook

Started by rulesforrebels

1 Replies
Last post March 31, 2014, 09:13:00 PM
by Charli
xx
Any ideas what this is?????

Started by CashKingThrift

8 Replies
Last post April 20, 2012, 09:35:24 AM
by CashKingThrift