Storage Auctions

Returning personal items

Returning personal items
« on: January 29, 2012, 09:50:04 PM »
So I just got done going through everything out of the unit we bought.  Its a given that I am going to return all the pictures (ended up being a large suitcase, and 5 boxes full), college degrees, baby books, etc.

Here is my dilemma: How much do you really need to give back? I went through about 30 boxes of personal crap. These boxes looked as though they were damaged in a basement and then taken to storage. All the boxes were junk (and the smell was horrendous).  This lady had this storage locker since 2002. She relinquished the locker to the storage facility. conditions were pictures, personal items and some ceramic tree be returned. Found the tree (of course broken because it was just thrown into the locker, found it in the back under a bunch of crap) but it will be returned.

Personal items included all of her kids homework, artwork, etc. Mostly ruined. Receipts dating back to 1990.  I am going to burn all papers that have any SS#, and real personal info.  If I return ALL of the personal item, I pretty much paid for her back rent, cleaned out the locker and put all her crap in new boxes. To me, that is too much. I would need the truck to take it all back. The storage manager is pissed that the owner agreed to give back anything at all as the woman hasn't been in there in at least 2-3 years.

I think after all is said and done we will at least break even. Of course all those water damaged, disgusting boxes were first in the locker, so no way to see them on bidding. That's the chance you take.

There are taxes and stuff in there, ruined and stinking...but none later than 2001. So its beyond the 7 years you need to keep something. I think if the stuff meant that much, she wouldve come up with the money to get it out.

Am I wrong about not returning EVERYTHING personal? Most of the photo albums are junk because of water damage, but I am still returning them and the broken tree  ???

Offline Alias

• View Profile
Re: Returning personal items
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 10:37:28 PM »
The more you give back the less you have to dump.....  :-\

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 11:02:48 PM »
Ditto!

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 01:38:20 AM »
She relinquished the locker to the storage facility. conditions were pictures, personal items and some ceramic tree be returned.

Promises made to the unit renter by the storage facility are not your concern. They could've let her remove those items before the auction and did not do so.

As far has how much personal items to return, that's up to you since there is no way for anyone to prove just how much was or wasn't in there.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 07:43:01 AM »
The more you give back the less you have to dump.....  :-\

Agree with that.

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 08:09:07 AM »
For me most paperwork is tossed / burned.  Only things I return are pictures (minus the frames), SSN cards, check/credit cards, check books, marriage / divorce certificates, car / house title, tax forms, etc.  Most of your mail, bills, etc. get tossed.

If the locker is like my most recent purchase and is a facility locker (didn't know at time) I don't even bother.  You get 2 or more different families in a unit.  So for example I have cruise pictures of a black couple, pictures of old black lady, tax returns in 3 different names, pictures of a white lady, etc.  Is sort of sad as I have a OLD hand made photo album with old black and white pictures.  All of them are portraits or 1 class picture and not landmarks which would of been great.  Would return it to owner in a heartbeat if knew which "owner" it was from this locker.  So I'm not going to waste more time/money to return the box of personals.  I'll keep them in shed for a time in case the facility calls looking.

When you do return a box of personal items be sure to put the Auction Date, Location, and Unit # on the box.  It really helps out the facility and also helps you keep track of which box goes where.

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 08:30:08 AM »
Thanks for the input :) Seeing I have to return the pictures anyway, I am going to take ALL the paperwork too.  It would take me time to have it burned/shredded and I have spent far too much time the way it is.

The storage manager was pretty funny about it. She said "oh don't make a special trip to get it back here. Just bring it when we have our next auction". LOL   

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 07:38:02 AM »
I went to an auction last month where the facility made it clear they did NOT want any personal items back from the units. No pictures, no paperwork, no ID cards, etc. They said if you feel compelled to return this stuff to the owner it is up to you to find them and contact them. One of the things that has given me some peace of mind in this business is the ability to at least return the personal stuff and hope the facility is able to get in touch with the owner.

What do you all think about this? Is it legal for the storage facility to refuse returned personal items?

This chain of facilities is where I have gotten some of my best units, so I really don't intend to write them off as jerks and not attend their auctions anymore.

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 08:15:45 AM »
There is nothing saying they have to return personals.  Most places do it as a "good will" gesture.  I think most of these places toss the boxes we return after a month or so.  Many times the person moved and didn't leave a forwarding address or such.  Why their unit goes up for auction.

I have had 1 person that I know of contact the facility about getting back personal items.  Facility manager called me about 1 item that I had already tossed or sold.  I had previously taken back a box full of pictures, baby books, etc.

It all is up to each individual and company to determine what is right.  In the case of this facility I wouldn't go looking for the owners.  Just opens you up to a bunch of stress.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 02:44:53 PM »
One of the things that has given me some peace of mind in this business is the ability to at least return the personal stuff and hope the facility is able to get in touch with the owner.

Maybe I am just a hard a**, but peace of mind???? Sure it is sad to find baby books, wedding albums, someone's sentimental life and just discard it. But you have no knowledge of their life, history, or them as real people. Life is the impressions you leave behind, not a box of photographs with everyone smiling. We don't take pictures of the bad times.

If the items left in a locker were that important to them then they would have them. Just saying.

Offline bwd111

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 09:43:28 AM »
So I just got done going through everything out of the unit we bought.  Its a given that I am going to return all the pictures (ended up being a large suitcase, and 5 boxes full), college degrees, baby books, etc.

Here is my dilemma: How much do you really need to give back? I went through about 30 boxes of personal crap. These boxes looked as though they were damaged in a basement and then taken to storage. All the boxes were junk (and the smell was horrendous).  This lady had this storage locker since 2002. She relinquished the locker to the storage facility. conditions were pictures, personal items and some ceramic tree be returned. Found the tree (of course broken because it was just thrown into the locker, found it in the back under a bunch of crap) but it will be returned.

Personal items included all of her kids homework, artwork, etc. Mostly ruined. Receipts dating back to 1990.  I am going to burn all papers that have any SS#, and real personal info.  If I return ALL of the personal item, I pretty much paid for her back rent, cleaned out the locker and put all her crap in new boxes. To me, that is too much. I would need the truck to take it all back. The storage manager is pissed that the owner agreed to give back anything at all as the woman hasn't been in there in at least 2-3 years.

I think after all is said and done we will at least break even. Of course all those water damaged, disgusting boxes were first in the locker, so no way to see them on bidding. That's the chance you take.

There are taxes and stuff in there, ruined and stinking...but none later than 2001. So its beyond the 7 years you need to keep something. I think if the stuff meant that much, she wouldve come up with the money to get it out.

Am I wrong about not returning EVERYTHING personal? Most of the photo albums are junk because of water damage, but I am still returning them and the broken tree  ???

Why return?arent we all buying Abandoned storage units? You mean some people are exploiting off of others  mis fourntune. So why return if they have no idea due to  abandonment .

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 01:04:35 PM »
So why return if they have no idea due to abandonment.

Three reasons come to mind...
1. In some states it's the law.
2. At some storage facilities you agree to it or don't bid.
3. If the person who's personal papers they are ever gets there identity stolen, you get moved to the top of the FBI's suspect list.

Offline bwd111

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 02:10:29 PM »
Three reasons come to mind...
1. In some states it's the law.
2. At some storage facilities you agree to it or don't bid.
3. If the person who's personal papers they are ever gets there identity stolen, you get moved to the top of the FBI's suspect list.
They would have to prove the papers were in the unit.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 02:32:00 PM »
They would have to prove the papers were in the unit.

That's FBI territory. If you want to take the chance and deal with the aggravation and expense of defending yourself against them be my guest. To me it's just not worth it, so the personal papers go back. Done deal, end of the story for me and I sleep much better at night.

Offline Millertime

• I Love Capitalism
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2012, 03:02:50 PM »
To begin with, I return personal items. However, this is one of the hardest things anyone could prove. Short of a photo taken by the facility during an audit before the auction, dispute of the unit contents can't be proved. The facilities don't have a release form to sign proving you brought it back even when you do. The entire thing is one word versus another. Some facilities tell us they don't want it because there was no request, others have said the previous owners never come get them and they have to shred them. I bring the the stuff back at the next auction or when I know I'm passing by. If a dispute ever comes up - send in the FBI (as long as it's JJ from Criminal Minds).

xx
Personal items

Started by calcoastgal

9 Replies
Last post March 17, 2014, 04:53:43 AM
by EdwardThirlwall
xx
How far will you go to return a tenant's personal or sentimental items?

Started by Travis

8 Replies
Last post December 18, 2014, 08:03:23 PM
by missb76
xx
Another "celebrity" Loses Personal Items to a Storage Auction

Started by MovieMan

0 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:10:30 PM
by MovieMan
xx
Why do big items sell faster then small items, plus my 2 units recap.

Started by acman

9 Replies
Last post December 12, 2011, 02:03:40 PM
by BigBizzz