Storage Auctions

Scrap metal - is it worth it?

Scrap metal - is it worth it?
« on: June 30, 2011, 07:55:37 AM »
we had some vehicle front seats (probably from a Dodge Caravan) and a bedframe in one of the units we just sorted thru.  we brought the stuff home last night for a bulk pickup from the city.  As I was leaving for work this morning, there was a guy who was taking the seats.  The bedframe had already been taken.  He said he can make money on the seats.

Is scrap metal worth the time and effort?  Can you get decent money for just a couple of items?

I know I will have to call my local recycling center and ask them about actual dollars, but just wanted to hear people's opinions.

- Jeremy

Re: Scrap metal - is it worth it?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 08:37:34 AM »
My grandad always says you have to have alot for it to add up to anything, I think prices here (NC) are like $9/100lb. My issue would be making the yard look like crap to store all this junk until its time to take a load down to the recycling company.

Offline Jedi

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 03:15:51 PM »
Yes, if you know what you're doing, scrap metal is absoltely worth it.  Trash night is popular around here with people driving around looking for people like you who are just throwing out one or two pieces, like a bed frame, etc.  For ferrous metal  (a magnet is your friend here)  the rate here is $11.62/cwt  (hundred pounds)  so that bed frame, bikes, refridgerators, appliances, etc, can add up quick.  Depending on if you're in an area with a deposit on your soda cans, aluminum is also a popular scrap metal item.  Here people throw out their cans in the recycling bins, since there's no deposit.  cans are worth .62/lb currently.  There's a local guy that drives a golf cart around and collects the aluminum cans every trash night.  Then of course there's copper, brass, computer scrap, electrical motors, etc.  Anything that has an electrical cord has copper wire in the cord.  If you're throwing out an old toaster, cut the cord off.  Most scrap metal places will buy a collection of cords off you at the aluminum price, but if you strip off the insulation so you have bare copper wire, then it's usually another .90/lb above that.  (do not burn the insulation off...it's a hazard, and will change the color of the copper.  One scrap yard I've dealt with won't buy it if it's burned)
anyway, like emptying a storage unit, there's a lot of work in scrap, but there is some money to be made. 
Not long ago I bought a 10x15 unit that was full of scrap metal (along with plenty of other stuff):  chain link fence, old lawn mowers, bikes, etc.  Paid $200 for the unit, made a few trips to the scrap yard and made $260 in scrap.  Then I had all the non metal stuff to sell for profit.

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • MSN Messenger - jrossmakesmoney@gmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 05:42:23 PM »
Really depends on personality and characteristics. Plenty of people make a living doing scrap metal. But just like reselling goods, there is work and knowledge involved.

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 03:11:41 PM »
For me the answer is yes and no.  I keep most things metal and break them down to a point depending on what it is.  Like this forum - I read 2 other "scrap metal" forums pretty regular.  I have 4 scrap yards near me and have started to check each of them out.  Today was my first load of stuff to a scrap yard.

I turned in a washer, dryer, old AC blower, and some odds and ends.  Had 600 lbs of stuff on my trailer at 12.75/cwt or .1275 lb that came out to be $76.50.  So that is another $76 I can add to my seed money.  Had a fridge on the truck also that they wouldn't take as the freon wasn't released yet or something.  Gave it to another scrapper that said the place right around the corner would take it.  He'll make $10 or so and I got it off my trailer so I could get to work.

Anyways - it doesn't take but 10 seconds to snip the cords off of everything you are trashing.  Find a bucket or tote and just start tossing them in there.  When it's full you can turn it in for some extra $$$.

It all depends on your time, space available to you, and effort you want to put into it.  The van seats that I got in one unit while heavy I just tossed in the trash also.  Didn't want to spend an hour cutting the foam and crap off.  The bed frame, headboard, etc. that is metal and can't sell goes on the scrap heap.

Like Jedi, some of the units I buy are purchased more for the "scrap metal" content I see then for the re-sale.

Check with your local yards to see what they will take.  Many don't take capacitors, e-scrap, and the like.  Others will take just about anything.  The more you seperate stuff the better you come out on non-ferrous stuff.  Stripping wires pays more then non-strip but sometimes the difference in price is so small as to not make it worth the time and effort.

Even if you don't scrap it's a good idea to keep up with prices on copper, brass, etc.  I'm sure you are already keeping up with gold and silver.  That set of cast iron pots you were going to sell for $10 may be worth $20 in scrap.  So you can at least get $15 for example from a buyer at the flea.  Junk pots and pans that you can't sell - scrap them as stainless steel.  That busted washer or dryer - worth a few bucks in scrap.  Set of bass door knockers - sell for near scrap at a flea.  You get the idea.

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 09:26:07 PM »
Wow what a blast from the past! Oh how my opinions have changed. Now my yard does look like crap, but my pockets have also gotten fat! Scrap metal goes hand in hand with storage auctions, with all the various metal crap your bound to get.

I actually just scrapped my second car today, an 89 lincoln - got $500 bucks. The engine was shot but it was still painful seeing that heavy machinary toss it around.

Offline Wayne

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 12:05:36 AM »
craiglstauction

Great post on scrapping.

A couple of quick bits of info. that may be of interest.

"Had a fridge on the truck also that they wouldn't take as the freon wasn't released yet or something."

Please do not think you can make just a little bit more money by releasing the freon from that heavy ass frig, freezer, or air conditioning unit. The fine is $10,000 if you get turned in and prosecuted.

"The van seats that I got in one unit while heavy I just tossed in the trash also.  Didn't want to spend an hour cutting the foam and crap off. "

It used to be that you could still sell those items that are not completely stripped or a given class of material, ie. #1 copper, #2 copper, etc. As mentioned, ask to see what they will or will not take.

"I actually just scrapped my second car today, an 89 Lincoln - got $500 bucks."

If the buyer does not go over the car with a fine tooth comb, before he gives you the price to buy, you may want to considering removing the radiator and heater core (copper) Also, you get more money for generators, alternators, and starters then just let then go as steel or aluminum. Depending on how deep you want to go, the wiring may be worth spending a few minutes. I think you should ask the recyclers you sell to it they take catalytic converters. I think they pay quite well for them.

Good luck to all. 

Wayne

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 09:25:31 PM »
Wayne - don't worry - I wasn't about to just take the fridge home and release the freon.  I just hadn't thought about it before took the fridge...don't ask me why I hadn't.  Have a few relatives that do HVAC work so they have the equipment for next time.

I have 4 yards in my area, maybe 6 if travel a little further.  However, only 2 pay well.  The other 4 will take a few extra things but the price difference is pretty large.  Tin and other scrap ferrous metal I'm working to take in as I get a load.  The non-ferrous is what I'm storing up on.  Not going to bother with a load till I have close to 100+ lbs to make it worth it.  Wire doesn't take up much room stripped or unstripped.  I have plenty of walmart shelving and old paint/food buckets to store it in by type.

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2011, 08:26:58 PM »
We (okay....actually my husband) took in a load of scrap that has been accumulating on our property for a couple years.  Brought home $297 cash.  So yeah it pays.  But it is physical.

My husband is an electrician by trade and we know the value of copper.  Now learning the value of metals, such as aluminum vs steel vs cast iron vs......  pain to sort, so this load (less the copper) basically went in one load.

The chunk o' change today will definitely influence how I view 'junk' lockers in the future.  If you have the truck/trailer and a strong back, scrapping is a great source of 'additional' income.

And thanks to this forum.  It never occurred to me to cut cords off dead electrical items.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 08:41:47 AM »

And thanks to this forum.  It never occurred to me to cut cords off dead electrical items.

Husband is a steel guy so scraping has been a part of life. Now he looks a little differently on the small stuff. And I am with you on the electric cords, and cutting the ends off extension cords. Never even crossed my mind.  :)

Heard a kid talking about the gold in cell phones. Said it is about .40 a phone, has a guy who will give him .50 phone. Sounded like to much work or total BS LOL

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • MSN Messenger - jrossmakesmoney@gmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 10:55:42 AM »
Husband is a steel guy so scraping has been a part of life. Now he looks a little differently on the small stuff. And I am with you on the electric cords, and cutting the ends off extension cords. Never even crossed my mind.  :)

Heard a kid talking about the gold in cell phones. Said it is about .40 a phone, has a guy who will give him .50 phone. Sounded like to much work or total BS LOL

Gold is an excellent conductor, which is why they use them in phones and computers. It is only a trace amount, and is very tedious work to get the gold out.

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 05:30:22 PM »
E-scrap can be worth money if you have lots of it.  In small numbers it's just about pointless.  In large lots you can sale it to a e-scrap yard or even online via e-bay and such.  I do this with all the computers and such I get that are crap.  The more weight you have in RAM, cards, CPUs, and the like the better.  Plus most computer stuff has some massive alum heat sinks that add up quick in weight.

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 10:54:47 PM »
The buying price of discard for each ton times the weight of the vehicle, minus the expenses of the tow line to have it after that a person pull the fuel tank, battery, and wheels. The actual container could be exhausted as well as holes place in it as well as returned towards the back again chair to add a bit of weight, and you can go ahead and take tires away following it is fallen to learn effectively in order to tow line.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2011, 11:14:30 PM »
Reply #12 by Clovis...above....

more gobblegook.

I feel a Drew warning coming on.

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 08:09:23 AM »
Old bicycles are usually good for scrap value at least.
Many of them have alloy parts (stems, seat posts, brake calipers, etc.) and these are worth taking off and scrapping at a higher rate than steel.

A 1/2 ton pickup load of bikes, usually 25 or so bikes yields about $75 (dirty steel - including tires, seats, etc. - nothing stripped off)

xx
Scrap Metal/Recyclers!!!

Started by Drew

8 Replies
Last post May 27, 2012, 02:14:41 PM
by the teacher
xx
Washer / Dryer and other scrap metal

Started by craiglstauction

10 Replies
Last post September 07, 2011, 07:43:50 AM
by Cobia