Storage Auctions

Sorting advice

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
Sorting advice
« on: June 20, 2011, 07:51:30 AM »
When sorting through a unit won at auction, don't throw anything away until all the boxes and bags have been checked. Sometimes those random things that look like junk actually belong with other items packed in other boxes that make that item whole and sellable.

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • MSN Messenger - jrossmakesmoney@gmail.com
    • View Profile
Re: Sorting advice
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 11:53:25 PM »
Good advice, and I highly recommend it.

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 08:23:07 AM »
The golden rule is, go thru everything.

Clothing has to be checked (Pockets)
Shoes has to be checked (inside)
Boxes has to be opened.
Birthday cards has to be checked (inside)
Books has to be checked (looked thru)

You get my drift, you haveto check everything, there is no telling where people hide stuff or put stuff.

I have found alot of money and giftcards that are still valid,  hiddn in envelopes, books, pockets, and shoes.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 09:01:25 AM »

Clothing has to be checked (Pockets)
Shoes has to be checked (inside)
Boxes has to be opened.
Birthday cards has to be checked (inside)
Books has to be checked (looked thru)

From the standpoint of finding   "everything"   that has some cash value, this makes sense, but the idea of checking pockets, shoes, birthday cards and books is overkill for me (other people will have different levels of tolerance).

On a regular basis I quickly look through boxes of clothes...just enough to put my arm down in a box and tilt the clothes up to see if there was any piece of clothing I would ACTUALLY take to the flea market. The idea that I would take out each piece of clothing and go through the pockets just overwhelms me. This would especially be true of clothing that would just be thrown in boxes or suitcases. I am talking about ignoring the pockets of somewhat reasonably folded clothing.

Birthday cards still containing money? IN MY OPINION, the odds are slim to none, but AS I SAID, to each his own.

Shoes...the only ones I spend any time on are work boots that still have life left in them or women's shoes still in boxes and showing no wear whatsoever....otherwise, boxes of old, worn-out shoes (dress, tennis, flip-flops) I can't get in the trash can fast enough. At the dump it's a shower of shoes sometimes going over the 5 foot drop to the dump floor!

Flipping through the pages of 200 paper back books? Nope, not for me.

Again, THIS IS MY OPINION....others will have their VARYING opinions to which they are entitled.

Offline ZoSo

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 09:59:57 AM »
I have to agree with Movieman, I don't have the space and time to rationally expend my energy on a low % task.  I'm sure those who do it have found success, I jst can't rationalize the time and effort such a task would require.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 02:21:10 PM »
If your not willing to short thru things, then you can not complain about not finding stuff of value in lockers.
Beeing lazy is one of the biggest reason to failure.

I call it lazy when people don't want to do the little extra, it takes about 2 seconds to flip thru a book.
I have in my last 4 lockers found a total of 75 dollars hidden in bibles. Took me maybe 20 seocnds to go thru those bibles. So you know what, if thats to much work for you, then i don't feel sorry for your comments about how bad lockers are or that there is no value.

A regular bidder here found 800 dollars one month ago in unopend birthday cards, i think that if you open 30-40 0f them it will take you maybe 10-15 minutes.

From what i have been reading in the post's from you Movieman, you complain a lot about not finding good stuff in the units, more or less the last 6 months most of the postings you have done have been negative about the content in your units. Well maybe you should look more in books and pockets. It might give some more positive findings.

And for all the newbies out there, in the beginnign it is even more importent to look everything.

Yet again Mr. A you seem to have to have the last word about any subject which is discussed and you apparently think YOUR opinion is the only one that counts.

I clearly stated (I think 3 times) that what I was expressing was MY OPINION and my experience. You are entitled to your opinion and you recently commented that if all of us were not entitled to express our views, what was the forum good for. You suggested the entire forum be closed if we could not express our opinions (this was after DREW deleted several of your posts).

I believe you started buying auction lkrs in Oct, 2010 and while I don't know exactly how many you have bought, I can't imagine it is any more than 50 or so ... note I say "or so". It might be 25, 75 it might be 100, but whatever it is, it doesn't matter and I don't believe it entitles you to be the "end all and be all" of advice for anyone (new or old) engaging in buying and selling lkrs (anymore than it entitles ME based on my experience to be the "end all and be all" person to listen to. It certainly entitles you to express your opinion (as my experience entitles me to express my opinion).

Sometime ago I called a truce with you regarding your lkr claims, the millions you and your partners have earned with your MLM activities, and frankly I thought I was doing very well by not saying anything about some of your outrageous claims, but now you are calling me Lazy because I don't use the same techniques you do, so time for me to speak up again. Also, I eagerly await the pictures of your $1,000,000 building project you discussed in one of your threads. (yes, that last sentence is sarcasm. If that project comes to fruition, I will fly to Cordova, TN and break a bottle of champagne across the cornerstone.)

This is all I have to say in regard to your post (quoted just above) and frankly I have always subscribed to the idea that all the readers here (regulars and newbies) can make their own judgements about WHAT they read and from WHOM they read it. I stand by that belief.

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 08:38:07 PM »
I personally try to go through every nook and cranny of everything I get in a unit to make sure there is no hidden treasure but sometimes I get bogged down and forget to flip through all the books and check all the pockets in clothes, just the nature of the biz. I think the vast majority of us here are 1 and 2 man (woman) operation so the more units that are won the less time that can be afforded to extensive searches for hidden treasures. There is certainly a risk of missing valuable stuff, but the reward is more inventory to sell and more income. More gross sales from having more inventory is predictable, the possibility of missing hidden treasure is probably less likely.

On a side note, I won a unit a couple of months ago and found 8 or 9 unopened birthday cards. Each one had a nice personal check in it for between $10 to $50. The grand total of the worthless paper was about $170. Oh well, can't win em all.  ;D

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 09:17:19 PM »
I think thats the great thing about the forums.You can pick and coose the ideas that work for you.

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 10:03:19 AM »
I have found some good and cool stuff by going through pockets.

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 12:45:25 AM »
OMG  ??? cant we all just get along?

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 10:41:57 AM »
Well how can you get along with wannabe's and trash talkers.  (i ment looser's)
People who can't create anything of importence or value.

Only thing they can is to make comments on others, and then again twist the facts and truth, all this because they can't do it them self.

Offline johnnyghonda

• On the hunt.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 12:25:21 AM »
good advice yall.  I am a newbie hooked and i do take the time to even go thru what i call "schmegma"  dirty stained clothes inside trash bags...lol. cause i feel as if it's christmas everytime i buy a locker im gonna explore cause it is just plain fun for me.  I am a bit of a snoopy sam and my lady is a nosy nancy!  lol. btw yes we have lives, we are just as interested in other's lives too lol

be careful as i mentioned in another post--- on my 10.00 unit i got there were lots of prison letters and kites and small booty pics and within that lil packet was a small razor blade that fell out of the prison papers. so if u do go thru thoroughly , go thru carefully!

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2011, 11:17:13 AM »
Wear good gloves :)

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 04:14:17 PM »
yes wear gloves! You never know what kind of disgusting crap you will come in contact with. I check every pocket, birthday card, and book. The last unit I purchased had $12 in pockets. I have also found units with money in birthday cards. And as far as books, I flip through them all. I found a 1963 red seal $2 as a book mark one time.

On that note, there is a local lady who buys lockers and takes the contents right to the auction. She rarely looks through everything. Anyways I was at an auction talking to her while the auctioneer was selling her box lots. He sold the box for $30 I believe. He bought it himself. Turns out there was $500 in cash in one of the books. That lady was pissed to say the least.

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 06:29:42 PM »
Yeah as disgusting as some of the finds can be my wife and I sort and search it all. We have a set of grubby clothes we wear (long pants long sleeves) then put on latex gloves and even a painters mask (the cheap paper kind). When we are done the masks and gloves go into the trash the clothes come off in my garage and go into a trash bag and straight into the washer. Overkill....possibly but after some of the **** we've found and then the dust and crud and stained whatever I'd rather do the overkill.

Now on the flip side, we have found hidden inside pockets, socks, drawers of dressors such items as an 1898 Morgan Silver Dollar, a ten dollar bill in a bible. Gift cards inside books and birthday cards that were still valid and have since been used and lotsa change. The best was inside a womens dress skirt there was an inside mini pocket the same black color as the dress about the size of a matchbook. In there were a pair of gold earings 14K and an 18K gold necklace very very fine chain size, So we do our due dilligence and search it all.

xx
Need a little advice

Started by terrorbow

5 Replies
Last post October 09, 2011, 11:00:52 PM
by jrossjr79
xx
Need some advice

Started by AuctionFace

2 Replies
Last post July 21, 2011, 07:39:57 PM
by monkeybusiness