Storage Auctions

Staged Units have me Pissed Off

Staged Units have me Pissed Off
« on: March 20, 2011, 03:50:00 AM »
Went to a large independant privately owned facility yesterday that has over 500 units and had 26 up for sale. Auction starts, normal auctioneer (owner) instructions he asked if there were any questions. Lady asked if they were going to cut locks, guy says the already did. Lady asked if they went into units, guy says at first no then says we just raised the doors and took pictures, lady asks if they took anything out of units, guy says no just took pictures. OK so suspicion is high among the crowd of over 200 people. Auctioneer (owner Guy) asks how many people were there for their first auction, two thirds of the crowd raise their hands. OK auction starts, first two units and they are full of broken crap furniture. Overhear an asisstant talking about the first three units being compiled. Well what that means here is that it's compiled of crap people left behind when they moved out. Guy never said that to anyone before we started. Of course he's not obligated to do so but I believe in being honest, guess others don't and no I'm not looking thru rosey glasses. So thats bad enough, get to third unit and it is so neat and plastic boxes stacked so you could see thru each plastic box lined up in a horseshoe configuraion down the left side across the back and up the right side of the locker. Only plastic see thru containers in it about 20 and it went for 400 bucks! Hackles are now up. Well I'll cut to the chase, the units IN MY OPINION and other regulars were STAGED. In nearly every locker 3 or 4 "attractive" items were 'placed' up front in plain view. An unopened jewelry box (leather and gold studded) sitting on the floor in the front of the locker as soon as you open the door.  In another unit a tool box set in the middle of the foor with half dozen power tools laid out on it in a row for display. An XBOX taken out of the box and sitting on it right in front, a organ elecronic keyboard leaning against the front wall. Boxes opened and the 'good stuff sitting up front in plain sight. The final straw was the two boxes up front side by side with noritake china in them. Not too odd until you consider that the plate on top of each box was unwrapped, turned upside down in  the box with the Noritake label facing up and forward at the front of the locker so it could easly be read. Newbies saw this **** and took it hook line and sinker and were bidding their asses off. Units that should have gone for 100 to 300 bucks went for 500 to 700 and up. I personally think staging like that is unethical at best and should be illegal as the property is not yet sold and shoudn't be touched even by the owner/auctioneer/guy especially to set the stage for the sale.........ok I'm thru venting and sorry for the long post. Just spent 6 hours of my life as an almost total waste........... >:(

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
Re: Staged Units have me Pissed Off
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 05:06:23 AM »
You can't put a price on an education. In the future, if there is a choice to attend this auction or another, you know which one to choose.

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 02:39:35 PM »
Well now there's a big friggan DUH!!! I guess you take me for a dumb ass...hell yes that site is off my list. I was hoping that my venting might let others less experienced know what to look out for. Oh and thanks for not plugging your service again in yet another post..............It's getting quite a bi self serving and I'm fairly sertain many others on the site agree...........Come on everyone speak up..........don't be chicken**** and closed mouthed............

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 06:23:31 PM »
We have a place like that here in Memphis.

They even go so far to open up boxes, suitcases, bags and display everything in the unit.
They even put stuff that was inside the unit out in the hallway.

Alot of us hav told them them what we think. A lot of us have stopped going there, last auction they had only 8 showed up. The time before when i went there there was about 60.

A week ago they sent me and i am sure everyone else they have emails to an email.
Stating that they from April 2011 will change their practice,a dn not open up boxes and display the content.

Still i find this place to be a huge risk, they are known for their practice of going into the unit and list things in their adds.
I can't say that they take stuff. but you can never be sure.

I like the places that cut their locks with cutters, we have 2 of them here in Memphis who do that.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 06:25:01 PM »
Damn, someone has their panties in a wad. Chicks vent dude.
I was just making a comment and you go off on me...you sound like my ex.

[attachment deleted by admin]

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 08:20:37 PM »
Must be a reason you have an ex..........go figure..............

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 11:19:38 PM »
Must be a reason you have an ex..........go figure..............

LMAO, you hit the nail with that one.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 04:35:54 AM »
Was that the best response you could come up with?

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 09:17:26 AM »
Damn, someone has their panties in a wad. Chicks vent dude.
I was just making a comment and you go off on me...you sound like my ex.

LOL, I dunno. There seems to be plenty o' testosterone flying on this site. Seems to me that Dudes vent too :)

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 10:19:08 AM »
TCLANE - my last said enough, no other response needed. Except a question. Is she your first or second or soon to be ex wife??  Good at math...what's the common denominator in a scenario like that?

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 07:02:01 PM »
I don't know the backend of things well enough to know if this is plausible but facilities are realizing auctions are money makers as some are charging entrance fees and things like that.

Really waht would stop an owner from putting a bunch of empty boxes of electronics in a unit, auctioning it off and letting people pay $800 bucks for it?

I know facilities aren't supposed to profit aside from back rent and fees but assuming they have some fake paperwork to go along they could make a decent buck.

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 01:31:32 PM »
Everybody count to 10 or something...............now..............back to the topic at hand,
nice tip for rookies.

xx
Staged units.

Started by Majblade2

6 Replies
Last post March 26, 2012, 09:58:39 AM
by bwd111
xx
Staged Units

Started by Travis

3 Replies
Last post December 20, 2012, 03:14:10 PM