Storage Auctions

Storage Locker Listings

Storage Locker Listings
« on: November 14, 2011, 10:59:02 PM »
I have some few questions to ask you.

1) when a storage locker doesn't get paid for 3 months, it goes up for auction.  Is it required for it to be a public notice in the paper provided by that storage unit? 

I looked in every local paper and nada.  I was like  :-\

2) Where can i get a complete listing online for free without all the do this and that, jump a couple of hoops then pay a little bit bs? 

where else can i look? 

3) I was going to ask about the locks on the storage during auction day but I have found my answer on that one.

thanks!  ;D

Re: Storage Locker Listings
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 07:43:43 AM »
Welcome to the boards Todd.  Now - your questions get asked at least once a week on here.  So I'll give you my normal answers to your question.

1) The time frame before going up for auction is dependant on the storage facility and your state laws.  Could be 60 days, could be 180.  As for the public notice most states due require them to post a notice in the paper.  However, I've seen a few that don't do this or I'm just missing it.  The notices should be in the legal section of the paper.  Normally 1-2 weeks out from the day of the auction.

2) Some people give "free listings" for various areas.  They are normally not complete.  You can get some of the info yourself from your local online version of your newspaper.  I know in GA a few of the papers also send notices to a state wide repository.  So if I travel to another part of GA I can check it for any auctions.  You mostly have to do your own leg work.

Best bet is to call around and get on the calling list for the facility.  Ask them when the next auction is and/or how often they do them.  Some places do an auction every month on a set date.  Like the 2nd thursday of every month, etc.  Only exceptions are due to holidays and things.  Always check ahead before you go in case everything is paid up or canceled/moved for any other reason.

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • MSN Messenger - jrossmakesmoney@gmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 08:01:24 AM »

1) when a storage locker doesn't get paid for 3 months, it goes up for auction.  Is it required for it to be a public notice in the paper provided by that storage unit? 

I looked in every local paper and nada.  I was like  :-\

2) Where can i get a complete listing online for free without all the do this and that, jump a couple of hoops then pay a little bit bs? 

where else can i look? 

3) I was going to ask about the locks on the storage during auction day but I have found my answer on that one.

thanks!  ;D

1. In my area, and most, yes it is required that a notice be put in some sort of newspaper. However I do not know if all states apply this law.

2. Check out local subscription services, where are you at anyway? You can also check out storagetreasures.com. Its free, and in no way do they have a listing of all storage facilitie Auctions. The Storage Company has to pay them to list there. But its regular members access it for free. However they do list a very large amount, anywhere from 80% - 100% of all facilities in your area.

3. As for locks, glad you got your answer, you might want to invest in a few different sizes of locks. I have 2 different kinds myself. 3 with a longer hoop, then 5 with a short loop. I have gotten a few lockers where the long ones wont fit, and some that the short ones wont fit.

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 08:21:14 AM »
Thank you so much guys. 

I appreciate it. 

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 08:27:48 AM »

1)  Is it required for it to be a public notice in the paper provided by that storage unit?  

I looked in every local paper and nada.  I was like  :-\

Wow, you looked in every local paper ? How many TIMES did you look?

Look every day for three months, then report back here what you found !

Double Wow ! You really DO want it handed to you on a silver platter!

where else can i look?  

You could TRY the SEARCH button at the top of this page. Of course you will get quite
a few responses and you would have to READ them
???

YIPPEE !

thanks!  ;D

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • MSN Messenger - jrossmakesmoney@gmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 08:49:10 AM »
lmfao.

dont mind movieman, he is a good guy :)

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 09:46:07 AM »
lmfao.

dont mind movieman, he is a good guy :)

How will people who post like Todd (the questions he asked) survive the actual bidding process, winning and working with all the acquired stuff if they can't even take the effort to so some research on their own?

My prediction is that Todd (and anyone else) who takes a similar approach won't be here 6 months from now....maybe even 3 months from now. Sorry Todd, that's just the reality in my opinion.  Do a member search for a member named "Momonamission" as an example. There are plenty of others in the same boat.

If I'm wrong, more power to you, but if I'm not wrong....oh well.

Offline Millertime

• I Love Capitalism
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 10:02:54 AM »
Movieman.... maybe Todd just got booted from a OWS protest, they don't want to work for it, just give it to me. ;D Just kidding Todd. People need to understand the effort required to do this business. I do it as a second job and it is a lot of work. Many people say to me I want to do that until I tell them about all the work.

1) Finding auctions...2-3 hrs per week
2) Planning auction trips...1-3 hrs per week
3) Attending auctions...2-4 hrs per week  (varies greatly, have spent 12 hrs at one caravan)
4) Cleaning units...1-5 hrs each  (varies greatly with size of the unit)
5) Digging through the stuff... 3-6 hrs each  (varies greatly)
6) Dump runs...1-2 hrs each
7) Organizing and pricing...3-5 hrs each  (varies greatly)
Then there is selling items... many, many hours

This is by no means a definitve breakdown, but a glance at a typical week for me when I attend an auction and get a unit. If you portray yourself not willing to work hard for the payoff, you will get a reaction. The folks here will help you greatly, as they do for me because I'm still learning. Good luck.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 10:13:49 AM »

This is by no means a definitve breakdown, but a glance at a typical week for me when I attend an auction and get a unit.

Those figures look pretty accurate to me !

If you portray yourself not willing to work hard for the payoff, you will get a reaction.

Hence MY reaction to his and other similar posts.

Offline bwd111

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 03:48:43 PM »
How will people who post like Todd (the questions he asked) survive the actual bidding process, winning and working with all the acquired stuff if they can't even take the effort to so some research on their own?

My prediction is that Todd (and anyone else) who takes a similar approach won't be here 6 months from now....maybe even 3 months from now. Sorry Todd, that's just the reality in my opinion.  Do a member search for a member named "Momonamission" as an example. There are plenty of others in the same boat.

If I'm wrong, more power to you, but if I'm not wrong....oh well.

It because they are what you call tv bidders. They get all there info from the tv shows. Monkey see monkey do. Like I was sayin a while back they watch these shows and a spark goes off and all the sudden they want to mimic what they see on tv. Then they want all the answers the easy way. Give the man storage eduction he buys for a week. Let a man learn how to buy a shed himself he buys for life. I agree with movieman. This guys hasnt even bought a shed but wants all the answers. He got to learn on his own first.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 06:27:59 PM »

1) Finding auctions...2-3 hrs per week  Noobie 10-50 hrs

The folks here will help you greatly, as they do for me because I'm still learning. Good luck.

xx
Storage Auction Listings

Started by IvanaStgUnit

6 Replies
Last post March 26, 2011, 11:44:57 PM
by MovieMan
xx
storage auction pay listings

Started by bruce45564

28 Replies
Last post February 22, 2012, 09:53:15 PM
by Travis